Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drinking cans of beer on the train

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Only drink cans on Saturdays. Exeter away I boarded the train at Hove at 9am with 8 tins of Carlsberg export and opened one straight away. Conductor said morning sir, you wouldn’t be off to football by any chance.

Drank them all before I arrived. Had 5 pints before the match and another 8 cans for the home journey. Usually only have 4 there and back but knew it was going to be a good day out so thought I’d hit the running hard.

21 beers! blimey. matches pass me by in a hazy blur if i've had 4 pints, let alone 21.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Your mental:lolol: where are these pics of 100 bha lads up Queens Rd?

Evening Patch. We'll it's been a bit of a disaster really since arriving at the ground against Pompey. In the west stand and was stood next to posters who post on here and when we scored twice I kinda of went mental, jumping all over the place like a right loon, can’t blame me for that as suppose most people in the ground did.

Anyway, two months ago I purchased a lovely slim lined Samsung galaxy ‘S’ phone and it was the best I’ve had, my pride and joy.

While acting like some loon who was trying to escape from an asylum and in all that emotion it must of fallen out my coat pocket. I’ve phoned the shop to see if any stewards have found it but to no avail.

The sad thing about this sorry episode is that I haven’t any insurance taken out on the phone so can’t get a replacement and to buy new they’re £400 which I’ve got as saved that for my season ticket for Falmer.

Was thinking about doing a home insurance job or car insurance job. Don’t tell anyone about that thou as wouldn’t want to get caught out by the police.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Evening Patch. We'll it's been a bit of a disaster really since arriving at the ground against Pompey. In the west stand and was stood next to posters who post on here and when we scored twice I kinda of went mental, jumping all over the place like a right loon, can’t blame me for that as suppose most people in the ground did.

Anyway, two months ago I purchased a lovely slim lined Samsung galaxy ‘S’ phone and it was the best I’ve had, my pride and joy.

While acting like some loon who was trying to escape from an asylum and in all that emotion it must of fallen out my coat pocket. I’ve phoned the shop to see if any stewards have found it but to no avail.

The sad thing about this sorry episode is that I haven’t any insurance taken out on the phone so can’t get a replacement and to buy new they’re £400 which I’ve got as saved that for my season ticket for Falmer.

Was thinking about doing a home insurance job or car insurance job. Don’t tell anyone about that thou as wouldn’t want to get caught out by the police.

Dont wanna get your hopes up but i swear someone on here posted (on the sunday after pompey) that they had found a phone on the running track. It was on one of the pompey result threads i think. Do a search.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
drinking on trains is to be applauded. I do, but only when wife isn't with me e.g. getting pissed with the boys and getting pwopa naug'ey. It's my alter ego, especially on Saturdays going to footy. I call it tradition, others loutish but as long as we're not rude or too loud, I think it's great to see people enjoying themselves in public. Why the hell not?!

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
21 beers! blimey. matches pass me by in a hazy blur if i've had 4 pints, let alone 21.

Used to it, used to drink 16 cans a night but didn't have any effect on me so stopped it, really hard, had to fight some demons so only drink beer when going to watch the Albion.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Enjoy it will you can I say.

Southern were selling bottles of Kings Horsham Best until recently.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the buffet car victoria to brighton used to be legendary. up there with the great railway journeys of the world for decadence and indulgence. doesnt anyone remember the great smoking rebellion? went to court and allsorts.

how times have so quickly changed.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the buffet car victoria to brighton used to be legendary. up there with the great railway journeys of the world for decadence and indulgence. doesnt anyone remember the great smoking rebellion? went to court and allsorts.

how times have so quickly changed.

Indeed it was, those were the days eh ?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I think it's ok! Unless you are the guy I saw drinking cans of strongbow on the WAY TO work? :lol:

I think it used to be infamous when they used to have the old style buffet carriage that it was part and parcel to have a breakfast of a couple of cans and a whiskey on the WAY TO work, mostly City workers. In answer to your question if they are selling it from their trolley then I would say its acceptable. Best consult your liver though LOL

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
It's fine. And on the bus too.

Your response may be tongue in cheek, don't know why but I think trains yes (probably something to do with the away trips following the Albion, all part of the matchday experience) but whenever I'm on a bus and see someone drinking a Stella whatever time of day it is is, it doesn't sit easy with me. Not saying its wrong but just my opinion

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Only drink cans on Saturdays. Exeter away I boarded the train at Hove at 9am with 8 tins of Carlsberg export and opened one straight away. Conductor said morning sir, you wouldn’t be off to football by any chance.

Drank them all before I arrived. Had 5 pints before the match and another 8 cans for the home journey. Usually only have 4 there and back but knew it was going to be a good day out so thought I’d hit the running hard.

Take a bow......What an Athlete

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I commute daily from Bournemouth to London and many of the regulars enjoy a beer or two on the journey home, whatever day of the week it is.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's been a while since you commuted, but there is now a group of women on there who drink vodka (plastic cups, I think), seemingly most evenings of the week.

Indeed. Also lots of groups now share a bottle or two of vino, although train drinking has got less common in the 5 years I've been commuting. I tend to avoid it Mon-Thurs but occasionally have a tinnie or two on Fridays, especially if I'm going straight to the pub when I get to Brighton - catch up on my mates who've been in the pub since 6pm innit

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Saw this for a while when commuting from Seaford to B'ton and London. One fella would get the 6:32 am every day, sit down pull out two cans of Stella and The Sun Newspaper, down one can before the train got to Newhaven Harbour, then finish the second before Lewes, it got to be very normal until one day a "day tripper type" asked if that was really a good idea to be drinking this early in the day, before work etc...the bloke in question, replied that he had been packing some kind of food in to tins for the last 12 hours, and this was his way of getting rid of the smell/memory/dullness of the job, before sleeping all day to wake up when we are going home to do it all again.

Kind of left the everyone sitting around him quietly thinking about their jobs/situations. Each to their own, everyones deal is different.

:thumbsup: punk::drink:

When i did nights a few years ago - I would get home and have a couple of tins after my last night shift before having a kip. If you do nights the morning is like your evening anyway.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It's the height of sophistication, helps the journey go quicker, and they wouldn't have a trolley laden with booze going up and down the aisles if they didn't expect everyone to be drinking. I'd say a good 20% of commuters on trains back from London to the coast of an evening are supping beer or wine. Surely it's only on a wekday mornings when you get funny looks for drinking beer on a train? I know I have when I've gotten trains back from London after overnight flights from the States. Felt like shouting "I'm still on holiday!" at those that glare at me.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Was working all day today, got train home from worthing to h heath, it went via littlehampton and horsham and bus from 3 bridges to h heath. Yes I know I should of got train to brighton and changed to get bus but was told this would be quicker. Anyway was gagging for a beer and the refreshment trolley turns up, 2.80 for a can of Stella!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here