Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dowie/Johnson

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
As I said way back before club stuff got in the way I would take Vassell as the 4th striker and if we take 5, it could be any of Johnson, Defoe, Bent and probably Ashton. I could see some logic in taking Ashton as it would be a useful experience for him.
Asthon is a good player and is worthy of a place too.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Croydonbloke said:

But then the form English striker at the moment is probably Beattie, now personally I do not want him near the national side as in his couple of appearances he has looked well short of what is needed, but if he carries on scoring for the blue half of mickey land he could well be the one that suddenly has people calling for him.

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
looney said:
Palace aint going anywhere this season and AJ will be of to a club like WBA if they stay up for about 3 to 4 million.

You can quote me on this any time you like palace vermin.:salute:

If you say so!!!:down:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Uncle Buck said:
But then the form English striker at the moment is probably Beattie, now personally I do not want him near the national side as in his couple of appearances he has looked well short of what is needed, but if he carries on scoring for the blue half of mickey land he could well be the one that suddenly has people calling for him.

Beattie had their stellar patch for Soton a couple of seasons back when he couldnt stop scoring, but tailed off. Seems to be back on blob now even though i agree he doesnt seem to have what it takes at international level. But you never know.

E

enigma

Interesting one. While I dont think Beattie is international class, I would say that he is a better player than Crouch. He holds the ball up better, and he is a better finisher.

I think Englands one weak area in terms of the squad (apart from keeper back up) is up front. Owen and Rooney are great, but if they get injured, its not looking great.

Defoe has not had a great season, and Bent needed more games to establish himself for England.

The target man position is also a problem. Crouch will be the one going but he has 3/4 goals this year in the Prem, playing for a top 4 team. I would have taken Smith if he had been fit, but he's been playing in midfield. Heskey has not had a great year either.

AJ will go if you dont get up, but for more than 3-4m , thats just silly. His real worth is probably about 6m, certainly not the 10m Jordan claimed last summer.

E

enigma

Croydonbloke said:

Good shout, but I think he has joined West Ham too late. If he had joined at the start of the season, he could have made it. As it is, I expect him to be in the Euro 2008 squad. Very good player, strong, great touch and good finisher. Not the quickest, but with a quick player around him that doesnt matter.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think as already stated Johnson had no chance of going to Germany when he decieded to stay at Palace.

He had one good season in the Prem and to have any chance he had to follow that up with another.

I'm not saying that Bent, Defoe or Crouch are miles better.... however are are up against quality defenders every single week, and i think the sudden rise in quality for Johnson from being marked by Championship defenders to world class defenders is a jump to far.

Not saying he hasn't got the quality but would certainly not be used to it.... think right now he would be out of his depth

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
blockhseagull said:
I think as already stated Johnson had no chance of going to Germany when he decieded to stay at Palace.

He had one good season in the Prem and to have any chance he had to follow that up with another.

I'm not saying that Bent, Defoe or Crouch are miles better.... however are are up against quality defenders every single week, and i think the sudden rise in quality for Johnson from being marked by Championship defenders to world class defenders is a jump to far.

Not saying he hasn't got the quality but would certainly not be used to it.... think right now he would be out of his depth

Top post!:clap:

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
he one of the best ,pace strikers in the game and would score for most premiership clubs

52161.jpg

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Question: Who was the last Crystal Palace player to represent England at a major tournament?

I am actually interested to know.

Bigtk

Nov 20, 2005
MattewEdwards ShinPads said:
I keep reading that Ian Dowie reckons Andy Johnson can still make it in to the England squad for the summer, what a complete joke! HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I know we have a bit of a lack of strikers after Rooney and Owen but common!

:lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The problem for AJ is he stayed with Palace and theN got a injury.
If he had moved during the summer he would be going to Germany in my view.

Last edited:

Funniest thread for AGES!

AJ is being touted because swain bastard shitterson and the crapstool polishers told him he was in the frame.

Iain Frankendowie is just resting his shiny little pin-head on his shoulder and saying "there there, of COURSE you can still play for ENGERLAND as a stinking scumbag player, I'm best mates with Swain"

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
jonny.rainbow said:
Question: Who was the last Crystal Palace player to represent England at a major tournament?

I am actually interested to know.
There probably isn`t one in recent times.... What difference does that make to anything.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Caveman said:
Yep I think you've hit the nail on the head. But if he wants to put his career on hold and play for the scum then, I guess, that is up to him.
You`re soo macho. The trouble with you lot is, that the fact he plays for Palace irritates you so much you wouldn`t him to go to Germany for that reason alone. I hope he does go and gets a chance, so we can come back and say England have won the world cup WITH AJ!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here