Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Double standards over Koran Burning.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How is it double standards have you got evidence of a Muslim not being arrested after filming themselves burning a Bible?
You know full well why i'm classing it as double standards, it was just as offensive to many people when the muslim group burnt the poppy, i bet when that happened you were bleating on about free speech werent you ?

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
They're both as bad as each other as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to burn a book that is so important to so many people needs to take a long hard look at themselves. The same goes for any of the utter cretins who burned the poppies on remembrance day.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
And how do you know that the people who burned the poppies weren't dealt with by the police. Nothing like jumping blindly to conclusions, but I guess that's what uneducated bigots like yourself do, isn't it?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
You know full well why i'm classing it as double standards, it was just as offensive to many people when the muslim group burnt the poppy, i bet when that happened you were bleating on about free speech werent you ?

I have no knowledge of such a thing happening but this is a different matter to the burning of a book of fiction held in high esteem by a group of deluded people (from that you can guess I am not a believer in religions) is illegal.

There is a law against the burning of such things there is not against the burning of poppies, flags etc. I think there should be I think to burn a symbol of a nation whilst in that nation should be treason, but sadly that is not the law. So in this case there are no “double” standards. They did something illegal and publicised their illegality on the net.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
And how do you know that the people who burned the poppies weren't dealt with by the police. Nothing like jumping blindly to conclusions, but I guess that's what uneducated bigots like yourself do, isn't it?

Of course they weren't, if they were they would be protesting now And still getting away with it

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Er, because it was reported in the national newspapers, tv and radio news.nothing like blindly jumping to conclusions , eh ?

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Erm.... two of the men you allude to were actually arrested. And the police are looking in to dealing with the incident, but don't let the facts get in the way of your predictable hate-filled bile.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Erm.... two of the men you allude to were actually arrested. And the police are looking in to dealing with the incident, but don't let the facts get in the way of your predictable hate-filled bile.
Not for burning the poppy they werent , but dont let the facts get in the way of your head up your arse appeasing will you.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have to admit that Bushy has a point, if this girl has been arrested for burning the Koran (which in itself is not an offence as far as I know) then why weren't the people who burned poppies arrested for the crime of spreading racial hatred ? It does seem that whilst we bend over backwards to appease 'minorities' we don't seem to apply the same standards to them. It's actually this sort of think that gives ammunition to the various fascist factions in this country.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Personally, the physical entity the Quran is just paper put together and bound and is flammable like anything else. Therefore I refuse to get upset about Koran burning. However, I hate the concept as its all so Hitler book burning etc. There is a law for this so its right they get prosecuted..... should there be a law for the poppies... probably yes too and I suspect that by this time next year it will have been included.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have no knowledge of such a thing happening but this is a different matter to the burning of a book of fiction held in high esteem by a group of deluded people (from that you can guess I am not a believer in religions) is illegal.

no it isnt. the girl didnt get arrested for "burning a religious text", but for inciting relgious hatred (which to be fair she was doing). a poppy certainly isnt religious, but the intent to burning it was certainly to incite others, so i was slightly bemused why one sees the law applied and not the other.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I have to admit that Bushy has a point, if this girl has been arrested for burning the Koran (which in itself is not an offence as far as I know) then why weren't the people who burned poppies arrested for the crime of spreading racial hatred ? It does seem that whilst we bend over backwards to appease 'minorities' we don't seem to apply the same standards to them. It's actually this sort of think that gives ammunition to the various fascist factions in this country.

How does burning poppies equate to racial hatred?

I think both inicidents however, should have recieved charges of behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace.
The koran burning by the idiot child in the midlands probably comes from the idea that burning poppies is the same thing.
As the koran burner is a juvenile of limited mental capacity, charging her with inciting racial hatred is probably over the top.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
elec_record_change.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here