Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doncaster - Your thoughts

drfc1

Jul 28, 2011
Not on the game, we get that kind of shite serve up every week but I would be interested to read your thoughts about your day spent in the town, what you thought of pubs/people/facilities etc.

Thanks.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Went to The Cheswald for a couple of pints before the game. Sat in the sunshine, Donny fans were pleasant and we had a nice walk around the moat to the ground. Looks like that whole area has had a fair bit of development?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The police were very helpful. We got woefully lost trying to find Cask Corner and ended ringing the pub whilst trapped on a central reservation heading out of town on a busy dual carriage way. A passing plod car stopped and pointed us in the right direction. Cask Corner was great. I'd like a similar venue in Brighton. Corner Pin was fun, especially when the Morris dancers arrived. People were friendly, especially an interesting gent who talked me through the history of Doncaster, the mines, the railway industry and the " 5 streets" project on the way back to the station.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I went with a mate who is a Donny fan and lived there in his younger days.

We went to the market where we had a plate of seafood for £1.30. Then off to the market cafe for homemade steak pie, chips, cabbage, carrots, mushy peas and gravy for £3.70. Add a mug of tea and still have change out of six quid. That's what I call VFM.

Went past Belle Vue. It's sad to see that it's not been redeveloped and the place is derelict and the pitch is about six foot high with weeds.

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
had a few drinks at the lakeside bar before and after the match on your advice good day all round despite the result.

had a good bit of banter with donny fans and the fat controler steward in lakeside bar who turns out was a liverpool fan got the piss ripped when arsenal scored in the last miniute

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
could do with another watering hole very near to the ground , still a f*cking nightmare getting back onto the Bawtry Road though after the game, other than that cant fault the place

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Liked the people and the town. Decent fans and decent townsfolk
I thought. Went in the tut-n-shive afterwards and it felt very
friendly.

I can think of many places up north/ down south where I have felt
ill-at-ease - but Donny is the complete opposite.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
one of your fans had a go at me for people booing sharp when he got injured :facepalm: but on the other hand we met this lovely elderly bloke who showed us where the soccer centre was and talked to us a fair bit. bit grim, a lot of closed buildings (from what i saw) but i didn't see enough of donny to make a fair judgement.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
had a few drinks at the lakeside bar before and after the match on your advice good day all round despite the result.

had a good bit of banter with donny fans and the fat controler steward in lakeside bar who turns out was a liverpool fan got the piss ripped when arsenal scored in the last miniute

I would like to correct this user's version of events just slightly. We did indeed drink in the Lakeside Bar BEFORE the game, but not AFTER it, due to an incident involving an older gentelman under our care, and a steward or 5 (Allegedly).... [MENTION=21451]ifuhatepalacestandup[/MENTION]
:lolol:

The Lakeside was very good, the quiz pre-match was quite clearly rigged however, our team were sure Doncaster were founded in 1836. :dunce:
We were talking to some Doncaster fans after the match and they were very level headed and genuine football fans. It was a very good day, only marginally spoilt by the football.

Last edited:

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
I would like to correct this user's version of events just slightly. We did indeed drink in the Lakeside Bar BEFORE the game, but not AFTER it, due to an incident involving an older gentelman under our care, and a steward or 5 (Allegedly)....
:lolol:

you said you wouldnt say anything about that it wernt my fault it was only my opinion the lady steward had a face like a donkeys arse

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Good experience except for the footie which wasn't a classic. Neither team could impose and go for the win.

Easy ground to find straight in from the A1. All of the local punters were welcoming and had some good banter. The stadium was ok, safe and clean with handy parking. Good to see lots of families among both sets of fans enjoying the footie in the sunshine.

Difficult to give a true impression of Doncaster what with The Keepmoat being located within a huge retail / commercial area on the edge of town, a bit 'identikit' in that respect, we could have been in a northern version of Milton Keynes or Crawley (sorry!).

The stadium itself is lacking in proper footie atmosphere - I'm afraid I don't count an annoying drum and a PA system blaring out electro-pop. But at least you have a modern home and haven't broken the bank going for a 25-30k stadium that you won't fill.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Went into the Beefeaters Grill for lunch which did really nice steaks also spoke to a Donny fan on the way to ground who was very friendly. All round good day.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Was pretty good day out, I got frustrated that everything seemed to close by 6.30, meaning it was impossible to get food or drink for train home, Sainsburys by the station, all the food court shops in the frenchgate and all the shops in the station closed. Frustrating!

Dive Bar was a great pub, everyone friendly apart from the bar manager at Wetherspoons for morning breakfast. He didnt like the bunch of faggots that rocked up in his bar. Masons was good, Black Bull was alright

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to the pub you suggested and bought 3 pints and a coke for my 14 year old and was told to leave as no U18s.

Went to the spoons which was usual cheap and cheerful, cab to ground and walked back to station after the game.

Usual day out, good fun bar 90 minutes of sh1te football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here