Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doncaster - Your thoughts

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Despite the poor game (I didn't think the surface looked that bad!) I enjoyed the day.

As the stadium is so handy from the motorway you get no feel at all for the actual town - just the MK style modernist commercial and retail area its situated in.

The Beeteater was a pleasant enough spot for a pint of Black Sheep on the way to the ground - sat outside in the sun. The social club at the ground was busy and welcoming - the sort of rather modern institutional feel that you get in Dicks Bar but without decent beer!

It's a nice enough ground in the modern style but I could happily cope without the drum or music so loud that it stops anyone singing right up until the whistle.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thanks for your advice about getting back to the station after the game , I walked back and it took half an hour. If I had waited for the bus I would have definitely missed my train.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Decent ground

erm.... that's about it really , actually decent stewards too so fair play!

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
i thought the donny fans were really friendly-one old chap came up to us and had a chat as he had a trial with the Albion way back when and played a game as a goalie with Albion reserves

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Have'nt been to the Keepmoat but went to Bell Vue...fans fine BUT that stupid drum and goal music of Tom Hark....good grief!!!

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Seems like most enjoyed their visit to Donny. If you missed it this time you should really take in the market, lots of well everything. Very friendly natives and as I am rapidly discovering a fair number of fellow seagull fans in residence. Hope Donny manage to stay up so all you guys and girls visit us again and I have at least one short trip.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Liked the ground. The supporters' bar was good except that there was no real ale.

Some good pubs but could find no chip shops or decent take aways or food places anywhere near the station. Even the Sainsburys shut early. The station itself was a bit run down (having enjoyed the bar/buffets at Dewsbury, Sheffield and Hudd couldn't something similar be done at Doncaster) which is always a pity in a railway town.
Sorry for moaning.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I didn't really like the ground, was just a much smaller St Mary's but further out of town, but then i'd much rather have been in a ground like Belle Vue, that's just me. The walk back to the town center was grim, lots of run down areas and pretty much everything was boarded up. Town center didn't seem that bad, looks like lots of it had been redeveloped.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was pretty good day out, I got frustrated that everything seemed to close by 6.30, meaning it was impossible to get food or drink for train home, Sainsburys by the station, all the food court shops in the frenchgate and all the shops in the station closed. Frustrating!

Dive Bar was a great pub, everyone friendly apart from the bar manager at Wetherspoons for morning breakfast. He didnt like the bunch of faggots that rocked up in his bar. Masons was good, Black Bull was alright

Yes. Cask Corner Dive Bar was an excellent pub. I want one in Brighton.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Ground was fine except as previously said drum and goal music. Also hated that every time a player was mentioned his sponsor was also mentioned. :nono:
Stewards were friendly. Forgot to buy a programme before entering concourse and one of them popped back out and bought programmes for half a dozen of us fans.
Town centre was bigger than I expected but was amazed when walking back to town from ground 2 bedroom new houses for sale at £75k. Can hardly buy a garage in Brighton for that.
Locals friendly and helpful. All in all an enjoyable day out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Best chant of the day - 'who is he sponsored by?' when a sub came on without his sponsor being announced. Good day out spoilt by the football.

Very special moment. :lolol:

I thought it was funny they played Hey Jude, do we think they got inspired at the Amex?!

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
I get the impression the fans can't believe they're in the championship so they're grateful for any points they do accumlate. I say this as I went to Belle Vue with Morecambe back in their Conference days and they had no 'we're better than this' attitude about them then and grafted their way out of the league as they should do. Fair play to them, they seem to have kept their family club values and the fans I spoke to were pleasant and helpful and a good away day was had by me + son.

I'd be interested to see how they'd so in a 'Where's Wally?' competition though ;)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I didn't really like the ground, was just a much smaller St Mary's but further out of town, but then i'd much rather have been in a ground like Belle Vue, that's just me. The walk back to the town center was grim, lots of run down areas and pretty much everything was boarded up. Town center didn't seem that bad, looks like lots of it had been redeveloped.
think I would've preferred the belle vue as well. Seemed the attendance was grossly over-exaggerated which seems to be so often the way theses days.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Doncaster seemed a nice place I thought. The walk around the lake was pleasant! Thanks for the directions to the station, got there in 20 minutes! :)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Friendly all round, really, from the parking attendants in local firms' car parks, to the stewards and police. Fans friendly, too, after the game. Disappointing performance, though. Just seen highlights, now, and the ball's bobbling about all over the shop, so the pitch is terrible. Never appreciated that on Saturday, thought the wind was more of a problem. Goal music? Please, NO!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I made the big mistake of eating in the ground; 1 x cheese burger, 1 x bag cheese & onion crisps 1 x hot chocolate = £7.30 !!!
Nice to be able to park and walk - 15-20 mins - for free.
Walking back to car, couple of Donny behind me talking loudly about glad they're not gay and happy that Doncaster doesn't have a homosexual bar - just ignored.
Football distinctly average, Deouf got plenty of stick - no evidence that we have a plan B when we are unable to unlock a defence = need a playmaker [who plays regularly] - how many times did we attempt a >30 yard pass that went straight out?.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Enjoyed the market, and the Cafe in their was excellent! Beers in Cask Corner-excellent, and the Corner Pin-good, full pint next time please gov. Could have done without having to box my way through the sword wielding idiots on leaving, but that's just me.

Good day, hope the Rovers stay up!

Jan 30, 2008
Went to the pub you suggested and bought 3 pints and a coke for my 14 year old and was told to leave as no U18s.

Went to the spoons which was usual cheap and cheerful, cab to ground and walked back to station after the game.

Usual day out, good fun bar 90 minutes of sh1te football

still most of it was on the cheap so you can't complain :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here