Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
My Jack Russel Terrier is going to be 18 in a couple of months. Still going strong. Hoping he makes the guinness book of records, but has a few years to go yet.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Lost my Rottweiler to bone cancer last month...he was 10.Taking him to the vets for the last time and sitting with him while they did it was probably the hardest thing ive ever had to do.
Really annoys me the bad press Rotties get, and also the reaction from other dog walkers in parks and fields insisting he should be on a lead before he rips their little dog to shreds!!! He was the most placid good natured dog anyone could have wished for......its bad owners, not bad dogs!!

Sorry to hear that. My brother used to get the same from other owners. Even when muzzled (which my brother would always do in public as a matter of course). The dog never bit anyone in his life, or showed any anger. Such a passive beauty.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Our oldest (golden cocker) was 10 on August 8th. The next oldest (black cocker) will be 10 next March. A few years ago my wife was so worried about how upset we'd be when they went that she got a poodle (now just 3).

We love them to pieces and I'm absolutely dreading that day when I have to walk the path that Hillian1 Fly high, El Pres, Tyrone and of course millions of others have done. Obviously I try not to think of it too much, but this thread has set me off.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
This thread needs some more staffy love, reputation ruined by a few twats but such daft, loyal and lovable breed. I don't have a dog at the moment but I'd rescue a staff cross any day of the week.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Lost my Rottweiler to bone cancer last month...he was 10.Taking him to the vets for the last time and sitting with him while they did it was probably the hardest thing ive ever had to do.
Really annoys me the bad press Rotties get, and also the reaction from other dog walkers in parks and fields insisting he should be on a lead before he rips their little dog to shreds!!! He was the most placid good natured dog anyone could have wished for......its bad owners, not bad dogs!!

it's been 15 years now since i lost my rottie (only 8 kidney failure) she was an amazing dog,so intelligent and easy to train,anyone on here that love's dogs knows exactly how one feels when you have to go to the vets for the very last time

inherited my father's jack russell who got on brilliantly with my rottie,he was a typical jack and lived for another 8 years after i lost mine,he was the ripe old age of 19/20 years old

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Mine aren't allowed upstairs or on the furniture.

They never eat my food, and always eat after me, they aren't allowed through doors first.

It's a pack thing and I'm the boss.

Wow, bet they were pleased when they left the dog home !!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are happy as Larry, they know there place.
The lab, is a trained therapy dog, (schools, homes etc).
The retriever isn't!

When left they 'go up the stables', as my goldie can't cope with kennels.

They go out with the horses into the woods for exercise, and yes they love it.

The goldie leads the way, and my lab hangs back.
The riders once thought they'd lost him, and spent ages looking for him.
Only to find him curled up in bed, back at the stables.

I have a vision of him sitting in the woods, extending his middle digit, then ambling back to 'home'.

They're probably ecstatic, a dog needs to have structure in it's life, it's natural instinct is to be part of a pack with only one Alpha Male. They are happier when they know their place within the pack (family).

May sound odd to people who don't have dogs but that is the truth of the matter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
29529f3d.jpg

I'm an imposter on this thread, because in general, I don't really like dogs much, but that's one great looking chap you've got there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm an imposter on this thread, because in general, I don't really like dogs much, but that's one great looking chap you've got there.

Exxxxccccuusssseeeee mmmmeeeee! :lol:

Attachments

• Albion pets 010.jpg
    Albion pets 010.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 36

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're probably ecstatic, a dog needs to have structure in it's life, it's natural instinct is to be part of a pack with only one Alpha Male. They are happier when they know their place within the pack (family).

May sound odd to people who don't have dogs but that is the truth of the matter.
My retriever is still an absolute arse, for dominance.
He'll still always position himself to be 'standing over you', even if it's just over your foot, or a crossed leg.
Always put him in his place.

I'll put my hands over his front paws, and he hates it, but it's good to remind him.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oh do lighten up, I was kiddin' to a point ....

But as a felllow dog owner, I do sometimes despair at some owners that love to dominate their dog, confident in the knowledge that 'DOG'S are pack animals and need tough love.

Load of bollocks if you ask me, my dog is loved, allowed on the furniture and will eat when we are ready to feed him and even offer him the odd morsel for a treat, my kids kiss him, even in the knowledge that 20 seconds earlier he was licking his own balls.

I have never really shouted at him or hit him or implemented arbitrary rules that seem to offer little.

My male Labrador is very well behaved can sometimes be grumpy but is an integral part of our family and we love him, but no he isn't treated as some animal I wish to conquer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh do lighten up, I was kiddin' to a point ....

But as a felllow dog owner, I do sometimes despair at some owners that love to dominate their dog, confident in the knowledge that 'DOG'S are pack animals and need tough love.

Load of bollocks if you ask me, my dog is loved, allowed on the furniture and will eat when we are ready to feed him and even offer him the odd morsel for a treat, my kids kiss him, even in the knowledge that 20 seconds earlier he was licking his own balls.

I have never really shouted at him or hit him or implemented arbitrary rules that seem to offer little.

My male Labrador is very well behaved can sometimes be grumpy but is an integral part of our family and we love him, but no he isn't treated as some animal I wish to conquer.
Cool, no probs.

We were told by the breeder of the lab, he was top dog, and needed boundaries our else he'd trash everything.
We didn't need to be told re the retriever, he was twice as big as the rest of the litter.
We watched him eat all the food on one tray, barged to the next do a fair amount of damage to the other tray.
Sit on his sleeping brothers head, then piss on my shoe.

All at 8 weeks old and within about 15 minutes.

I know he wouldn't have been the lovely family dog that he is, without knowing his place.

And he rocks a hat:-

Attachments

• Albion pets 002.jpg
    Albion pets 002.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 18

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Cool, no probs.

We were told by the breeder of the lab, he was top dog, and needed boundaries our else he'd trash everything.
We didn't need to be told re the retriever, he was twice as big as the rest of the litter.
We watched him eat all the food on one tray, barged to the next do a fair amount of damage to the other tray.
Sit on his sleeping brothers head, then piss on my shoe.

All at 8 weeks old and within about 15 minutes.

I know he wouldn't have been the lovely family dog that he is, without knowing his place.

Mine isnt necessarily a comment on you, but to some extent you do to fit the profile of those that wish to dominate, however I dont for one moment think that you offer anything less than a loving and caring home for your dog.

Of course as a puppy my dog needed guidance and yes I had heard all the 'pack animal' and 'alpha male' rubbish, but we trained him without any physical intimidation or excessive shouting, we just looked out for him and he got loads of love.

Maybe we were just lucky, but I see example after example of owners, who undoubtedly love their dog's but are so very quick to scold their dog, strangely it seems those that purport to be dog experts that show these traits, rather than soppy owners like me.

Slysi1976

Jul 10, 2012
Brighton
I have a 10 year old jack Russell cross staff, had since she was 4 weeks old becoz her mother was Ill and had to bring her up on some special milk,it was like a dogs sma milk.love her to bits. And last year took my mums dog on for her he's 10 also and is a Yorkshire terrier. Hope they have a good few years left in them yet. Won't get no more pets after these.to much heartache, felt it in jan this year when I lost my 8 year old African grey parrot to a heart attack she could of lived to around 100...soz for long post...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mine isnt necessarily a comment on you, but to some extent you do to fit the profile of those that wish to dominate, however I dont for one moment think that you offer anything less than a loving and caring home for your dog.

Of course as a puppy my dog needed guidance and yes I had heard all the 'pack animal' and 'alpha male' rubbish, but we trained him without any physical intimidation or excessive shouting, we just looked out for him and he got loads of love.

Maybe we were just lucky, but I see example after example of owners, who undoubtedly love their dog's but are so very quick to scold their dog, strangely it seems those that purport to be dog experts that show these traits, rather than soppy owners like me.
Like you we just did it 'right' as a puppy, and we all keep to the boundaries.
Certainly no need for shouting and god forbid violence.

There's 3 years age difference, and in fairness (although it shows) we did a hell of a lot less training with the goldie, because he just modelled our lab.
Always 1 pace behind.

when our lab had had enough and deemed it 'sleep time', he just pinned the pup to the floor with his paw. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here