Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Sussex Need a Flag?

I didn't reply but I privately agreed with you, it would be nice to have a flag of saxon origin. But I do kinda like the martlets.
That's why the East Sussex flag is superior to the West Sussex flag.

The East Sussex flag includes a Saxon crown.

e-sussex.gif

The West Sussex one doesn't.

w-sussex.gif

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
With a flock of French birds, not that I am averse to the odd French bird.:p

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Correct and it used to include the best bit of Kent before it was Stolen.:rant:

I read this somwhere a long time ago and have been trying ever since to find when and which bit. Was it Tun Wells? Anyone know for sure?

County Councils first came into existence in 1889. From that year, there were always separate County Councils for West Sussex and East Sussex. Brighton was a County Borough from 1889, and was only brought under the administrative control of East Sussex County Council in 1974. The area that is controlled by Mid Sussex District Council (Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath and East Grinstead) was run by East Sussex County Council until 1974, when it transferred to West Sussex. Brighton and Hove Council was created in 1997 and became a City Council in 2000.

You haven't stated when B&H became a unitary authority, meaning it took over the services previously provided by ESCC.

Sussex Flag

We Wunt be Druv
Sep 13, 2010
Sussex
Back the Campaign.

Sussex%20Flag.bmp

The flag represents the whole of Sussex and is based on the traditional emblem of Sussex, six Gold martlets on a Blue field. This emblem is used by many Sussex organisations, such as Sussex County Cricket Club, Sussex County Football Association and also features on the village sign of Ringmer in Sussex. The campaign is promoting a design named after the county's patron saint, St Richard of Chichester.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Back the Campaign.

Sussex%20Flag.bmp

The flag represents the whole of Sussex and is based on the traditional emblem of Sussex, six Gold martlets on a Blue field. This emblem is used by many Sussex organisations, such as Sussex County Cricket Club, Sussex County Football Association and also features on the village sign of Ringmer in Sussex. The campaign is promoting a design named after the county's patron saint, St Richard of Chichester.

Can I buy it as a car sticker?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
looks ok if you make a couple of changes, replace the martletts with a single seagull in white, put the word ALBION on there and oh I dont know throw in some white stripes :)

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
County Councils first came into existence in 1889. From that year, there were always separate County Councils for West Sussex and East Sussex. Brighton was a County Borough from 1889, and was only brought under the administrative control of East Sussex County Council in 1974. The area that is controlled by Mid Sussex District Council (Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath and East Grinstead) was run by East Sussex County Council until 1974, when it transferred to West Sussex. Brighton and Hove Council was created in 1997 and became a City Council in 2000.

True, as a former resident of East Grinstead I lived in East, West and Mid Sussex without moving house, so I'm not sure where my loyalty should lie. Certainly not in Kent where I live now. Before anyone says it, I did actually move house to Kent!

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
I always understood the Sussex flag was the Tower and Martlets. The tower being west or east sussex and the martlets being the other. So when you brought the 2 flags together getting the Tower and Martlets.

Off to Goggle to learn something.:shrug::shrug:

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
My son is the first in my line born outside of East Sussex since before America was a country.

Most current residents of West Sussex were born before America was a country.

West Sussex doe's have a cathederal a castle motorways international airport and two decent race courses.
East has the Amex soon and a half decent football team and errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
West Sussex shouldn't even have a flag it's embarrassment.

...says someone who has an avatar of an East London football team...why should your view count on this matter!

Oh, and the flag above with the golden martlets on a blue background, that would do for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here