Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone still think the McCanns are innocent ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its looking more and more likely that charges will be pressed.
Hardly an hour goes by without the investigation seeming to implicate them more and more.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I wouldn't have a clue.
So many reports are conflicting that it is hard to make any sense out of it all. 88% match of DNA when there are siblings is not a match at all, the fluid in the car wasn't blood etc etc

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Yep. Masons, black magic rituals, and an effigy of Princess Di will all be involved. The Express and the Mail will claim they knew all along, the Guardian will get the spelling wrong, the Times will call for realistic sentencing, and the Independent will have a lovely cover of no relevance designed by Bono of U2.

Let's see the evidence before we charge them. If they are guilty, then there is the welfare of two other children to consider as well. If they are not guilty, then they are back on the road with Max Clifford on a book signing tour.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'd rather restrict any thoughts I have about this case to sympathy for an innocent little girl who is still missing and most probably dead.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
They might be charged but there has to be reasonable doubt so a conviction is unlikely. I believe they are innocent.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'd rather restrict any thoughts I have about this case to sympathy for an innocent little girl who is still missing and most probably dead.

About time someone made that observation. As for the parents' guilt or otherwise, how can any of us even have a valid opinion based on a million different media reports? I can't believe the reaction from some of the knuckle-draggers who seem to think they're in possession of all the facts. God forbid any of them will ever do jury service.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In France the law is that you are guilty until you can prove your innocent is this the same in Portugal or is it like this country innocent until proved guilty.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Just like in the West Indies with the Bob Woolmer affair, both happened abroad where procedures are very different and the hungry British media have to feed on scraps of info released to satisfy front cover stories.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In France the law is that you are guilty until you can prove your innocent is this the same in Portugal or is it like this country innocent until proved guilty.

Not true. France like us assumes defendants are innocent until proven guilty - it's actually in their constitution (Article 9 if you're interested)

To answer the question, the McCanns are of course innocent until proved otherwise.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Whilst not trying to forget the obvious tragic consequences, it's an interesting situation because of what it highlights in the differences between the relationship between the press and the police in the respective countries.

Originally, I was respectful of the Portuguese arrangement of "no relationship".

Now I can see that all that leads to is conspiracy theories, misinformation and leaks.

The UK relationship of feeding the press informally (with their promise not to print until allowed) in return for help seems to work in cases such as these.

It didn't work in the Glitter case, but it seems to have helped enormously in the Huntley case.

But await the newspaper that dares to break ranks when they find something (wrongly or rightly) on the family. The newspapers are possibly playing a game of poker at the moment in my opinion, all scared to show the first hand.

From a media watching perspective it's fascinating. Shame to admit that when a young child has probably lost her life.

The fact is that nobody knows and nobody could even claim to have a hunch at the moment.

Especially the Press and sadly, that's where a lot of people are looking for the information to form their opinions...

There's only 2 people who know if the McCanns are innocent or guilty and that's the McCanns. The Portugese Police certainly don't at the moment or the McCanns would be in jail awaiting trial. Of course, that could change soon and I know that I'd hate to be a juror in this case if it ever gets that far.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It reminds me of the Falconio murder in Australia where a lot of people were totally convinced the girlfriend had killed him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Except there was zero evidence against Joanne Lees...

It still didn't stop some of my colleagues in Yorkshire condemning her out of sight. There was a big link to that area because Peter Falconio came from Huddersfield. Most people said that Lees was far too cool and composed to be grieving.
Again, the papers were rife with rumours. The Daily Mail reckoned he had faked his own death!!
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/06/1025667076003.html

As others have said, this is similar to the Bob Woolmer case where the police haven't really got a clue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As others have said, this is similar to the Bob Woolmer case where the police haven't really got a clue.

That's a bit harsh on the coppers. It was the forensic team that didn't have a clue: if the police are told that someone has been strangled they have to investigate. It looked like a long rambling investigation but that's because there was no one to find.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here