Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anybody care about the chicken they eat

Is the way a chicken is reared important to you?

• Yes - animals should have a high quality of life before slaughter

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • No - the cheaper the better

Votes: 23 28.0%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If animals were that good thay could find a way to escape.

chicken_run_01.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
girlfriends family keep chickens so she loves them and hence i am rarely allowed to eat chicken, if i do its usually from our local butchers who does decently farmed chicken

cheap chicken tastes shit, so i would rarely want to eat it anyway without it having the f*** seasoned out of it

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Have you looked in the Coop (fnar fnar) the chicken in there comes from Thailand
and all points east! Last time I looked, they're still not in the EU.

The poll is a tad slanted as there are people on NSC who don't eat chicken!

The use of antibiotics for growth promotion in poultry is now not allowed in the EU; antibiotics may be prescribed by a vet to treat illness (ie animal welfare) but are subject to approved 'withdrawal periods' (ie time taken for the drug/metabolites etc to disappear from the muscle, liver, kidney, skin etc) before the birds can be slaughtered for food. If this bothers anybody then don't eat meat or consume any milk products whatsoever as free range, organic etc reared animals also get sick.
The use of growth hormones is banned in the EU even though the substances used normally occur naturally in the animals' body. Growth hormones are widely used in the US.

Have you looked in the Coop (fnar fnar) the chicken in there comes from Thailand
and all points east! Last time I looked, they're still not in the EU.

The poll is a tad slanted as there are people on NSC who don't eat chicken!

Each batch (consignment) of poultry imported into the EU must:
1) Come from a country approved to export this type of product into the EU.
2) Be accompanied by animal health and public health certification.
3) Come from EU approved premises.
4) Enter the EU through a Border Inspection Post where veterinary checks must be carried out.

Unless the birds were slaughtered prior to 1/1/2004, importation of poultry into the EU from Thailand is currently banned due to the presence of avian flu in that country (refs: EU Commission Directive 2005/692/EC as amended by 2007/99/EC).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting scientific results on River Cottage tonight regarding chicken.

They tested a cheap Tescos one against a Free Range one for nutritional value.

"Organic" isn't really the key here, it's quite simply that the chicken is allowed to grow more slowly, has access to sunlight and eats grass. Basically, it lives most its life outside.

Not only did the free range contain 25% less fat it amazingly had Omega 3 levels ten times that of the cheap one.

The scientist involved said that his research has led to him to believe that one of the reasons mental health is on the rise in the Western World is because of the lack of essential fatty acids in our diets.

So, if anyone needs proof that free range Chicken is better for you - there it is.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
this thread reminded me of a naff chat up line :

"do you like chicken ? suck this its fowl !" :lolol:

doubt that has ever worked for anyone, if they dared try it

im not sure thats true, at least not any more. if a bird is diseased shouldn't it be condemed? "damaged" would probably go to pet food or to be "reformed" (thats the stuff to really be wary of...) where standards are lower. I would have thought parts would be sold for more than a complete bird too.

It is still true.

Pet food is grade 2 meat (the stuff in pies etc is grade 3; stuff sold as meat is grade 1).

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
i dont go for organic / free range or anything like that but i generally wont go for the cheapest peices there

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm cooking a cheap Morrisons chicken tomorrow. They are delicious.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Considering the amount of pensioners I see buying cheap chickens in various supermarkets they cant be that bad for you!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Considering the amount of pensioners I see buying cheap chickens in various supermarkets they cant be that bad for you!

No-one is suggested the cheap ones are "bad" for you.

Just that you get what you pay for, a chicken that has had far less than £2.50 spent on its entirely development and spends most of its life walking around in it's own shit.

Turd fed chicken doesn't come at a premium.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Reading back through the thread I think thats what a few people have been trying to suggest!

There was a wonderful documentary on channel four a few years about about the really cheap chicken, the sort of stuff that ends up in dodgy takeaways or as frozen breast etc..

It mostly comes in from the far east and is processed in Holland. A lot of it ends up over here.

Anyway to increase the weight of they pump it with water. That's easier said than done, they actually need to put proteins in there first. Where this protein comes from is more strictly controlled than a few years ago, because of BSE etc...

The documentary interviewed a scientist (undercover) who had developed a process which made the source of the protein undiscoverable.

Basically it "mashed up" the DNE in the protein, thus enabling the manufacturers to bung anything into the chicken they wanted.

That's food for thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here