Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anybody care about the chicken they eat

Is the way a chicken is reared important to you?

• Yes - animals should have a high quality of life before slaughter

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • No - the cheaper the better

Votes: 23 28.0%

• Total voters

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well to be honest chicken always tastes fowl to be anyway. And what about Free Range Eggs ? If they're so free how come they cost so much ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

I've stopped eating chicken, ever since I worked in one of Britain's largest processing factories. It really is disgusting - not necessarily in terms of animal welfare (which is terrible), but in terms of what's being produced. Once you've seen it, you really don't want it in your body.

One tip for those of you who do eat chicken, though. Never buy uncooked parts of a bird (breast, wings, legs). The producers will never cut up a good chicken. Separate bits like that are only ever taken from an otherwise diseased or damaged bird.

It's not just the conditions that the chicken is reared in, more important are the antibiotics they feed it and the growth hormones they give them.

The use of antibiotics for growth promotion in poultry is now not allowed in the EU; antibiotics may be prescribed by a vet to treat illness (ie animal welfare) but are subject to approved 'withdrawal periods' (ie time taken for the drug/metabolites etc to disappear from the muscle, liver, kidney, skin etc) before the birds can be slaughtered for food. If this bothers anybody then don't eat meat or consume any milk products whatsoever as free range, organic etc reared animals also get sick.
The use of growth hormones is banned in the EU even though the substances used normally occur naturally in the animals' body. Growth hormones are widely used in the US.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Free range minimum for me. Both on terms of animal welfare and taste. I'm not too bothered about organic but the thought of eating the battery hens and what is pumped into them rather turns my stomach. Of course most pre-processed food (e.g. take aways etc.) will be battery at the mo, unless specifically stated, but I really think that battery chooks could be a thing of history in 5 years or so if more people were bothered.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I only buy free range chicken now - the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall programme put me off buying non free range.

I think it tastes better too - the meat is more tender

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I've stopped eating chicken, ever since I worked in one of Britain's largest processing factories. It really is disgusting - not necessarily in terms of animal welfare (which is terrible), but in terms of what's being produced. Once you've seen it, you really don't want it in your body.

One tip for those of you who do eat chicken, though. Never buy uncooked parts of a bird (breast, wings, legs). The producers will never cut up a good chicken. Separate bits like that are only ever taken from an otherwise diseased or damaged bird.

is that the same for free range birds?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

im not sure thats true, at least not any more. if a bird is diseased shouldn't it be condemed? "damaged" would probably go to pet food or to be "reformed" (thats the stuff to really be wary of...) where standards are lower. I would have thought parts would be sold for more than a complete bird too.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've always though that it's a bit hypocritical to get worried about how animals are treated shortly before they're slaughtered, mashed and diced for your consumption ...whether it be as a whole chicken or in a Bernard Matthews chicken jetter!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
slightly off topic, last night i had a chicken omelette and it suddenly dawned on me...

i had 2 generations of the same animal....on one plate :ohmy:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we're humans, we're cannibals, therefore I eat anything (mancock is a no-no) as long as its on my plate.
Food is food
Evolution had dictated that I eat food to survive
I survive by eating food
I do not complain when theres food in front of me

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I voted for yes as in I do care about animal welfare. But I also happily tuck into KFC, McDonalds, curries and other stuff on occasions where the thought doesn't cross my mind at all. So I'm a semi-principled hypocrite.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I only knowingly eat Free Range, and if it's available Organic. Been like that for a long long time. My first girlfriends father had a battery farm, one visit and I became a vegetarian almost overnight. After 15 years I gradually weened myself off the veggies, but I always do my best to make sure I buy free range and organic, I will not bother if it isn't available.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As I've said before, why kill a happy chicken, merrily running around in its field enjoying life, when you can slaughter a depressed one, packed in a hutch like sardines

They taste the same, they taste good

I only buy free range chicken, it's a taste thing. Quite simply the the breeds that are bred to grow very quickly are of a much lower quality in terms of flavour.

If you buy any type of food (meat or vegetable), you'd like to think that something has given a toss before sticking on the shelf.

A £2.50 dodgy bird from a supermarket has had less than £2.50 spent on it in getting there. If you are quite happy eating something that has been sitting around it in it's own shit and fed shit, that of course is your choice..

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That's the point, the £2 broilers taste crap.

Its worth paying more for cornfed free range because it tastes so much better (and the animal welfare is better).

PG

Yep, completely agree. My view is the more expensive the better when it comes to chicken and other meats as you know you're going to get better quality. Thats why I go to Waitrose. Not because it's cheap but it's good quality

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here