Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anybody care about the chicken they eat

Is the way a chicken is reared important to you?

• Yes - animals should have a high quality of life before slaughter

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • No - the cheaper the better

Votes: 23 28.0%

• Total voters

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
What with all the stuff on TV regarding the standard of living for the chicken that we eat do you really care about the chickens welfare? or are you happy to pay £2 for a bird with no regard to the conditions in which it was reared?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
as long as it tastes good i couldnt give a toss

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That's the point, the £2 broilers taste crap.

Its worth paying more for cornfed free range because it tastes so much better (and the animal welfare is better).

PG

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Don't give a toss about organic but I'll only buy free range these days. I'm a recent convert, only making the decision to switch after seeing Hugh's Chicken Run.

larus

It's not just the conditions that the chicken is reared in, more important are the antibiotics they feed it and the growth hormones they give them.

The issue about this is that we have no understanding of the long-term effects on humans by absorbing small amounts of these chemicals in the food chain.

It's easy to laugh about it, but would you want to trust your health to scientists who are paid by large corporations to develop chemicals to make them profits.

And don't think that the government will legislate to protect you, if they did then all of these man-made fats which are allowed in food and are proven to be harmful would be banned immediately.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
As I've said before, why kill a happy chicken, merrily running around in its field enjoying life, when you can slaughter a depressed one, packed in a hutch like sardines

They taste the same, they taste good

once again brett is the voice of reason

kfc is the LIVING proof that shit chicken CAN be made to taste good :bowdown:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
In what way should I consider 'care'?

Do I care that they are being teated 'inhumanely'..... I think the last point makes my case..... chickens arent human. Yes I find it disgusting but do they? Do my feelings matter?

Do I care that they are being pumped full of chemicals and ergo me and my children? Damn right I do.

Do I care about the price of chicken... YEP

Do I care for eating chicken.... yes but I could live without it

Do I care for chickens..... not at the moment but if I ever lose my job I mighgt consider it as a career move.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i know its wrong but i dont much care when im in the supermarket. i think i would actually stop ant think if looking at a £2 chicken and probably buy a better quality one though.

the antibotics thing is probably more important, but i understand thats not near as widespread as we are led to believe as it costs money, ie it doesnt happen all the time only when a hut gets an infection and alot of the ill chikens ends up going to pet food. growth hormones are there naturally anyway they just give them more and are used up by the animal in the process of growing, so not sure that they are really of any issue.

the really solution is to encourage eating Lamb, 95% free range and lives off land which cant be used for other purposes :thumbsup:

Cardiff Minted Lamb... could work?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I noticed the other day that Hellmans mayo is now made with free ranges eggs

well done Jamie Oliver I say :thumbsup:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
In what way should I consider 'care'?

Do I care that they are being teated 'inhumanely'..... I think the last point makes my case..... chickens arent human. Yes I find it disgusting but do they? Do my feelings matter?

Do I care that they are being pumped full of chemicals and ergo me and my children? Damn right I do.

Do I care about the price of chicken... YEP

Do I care for eating chicken.... yes but I could live without it

Do I care for chickens..... not at the moment but if I ever lose my job I mighgt consider it as a career move.

bet you make a great dinner party guest...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here