Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still play vinyl records?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sure the sound is poor,but i love the labels to look at,let alone play.I am keeping all my singles and albums.300Plus:clap2: :drink: :albion:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Dansette? wow.that a be,late60,s or early 70,s.they were a big name,i think at the the time?:albion:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is this just a thread to smoke out Fatboy Slim's NSC user-name?
In which case I think Mr Cook is THE LARGE ONE :wave:

Do I win £5?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yes, I still have loads of LP's and singles.
The hi fi we bought had a turntable.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Leekbrookgull said:
Sure the sound is poor

Are you mental???

Vinyl is how music should sound.

Tapes, CD's, MP3's - they've all lost some of the original quality that vinyl recordings retain.

If you look after them and play them on the right equipment your vinyl records will sound better than any other recordings you could care to mention.

And yes, I play my vinyl records, new and old regularly

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Too right - Linn Sondek, Ittok etc.

Vinyl is analogue and therefore a continuum of all data.

CD is music chopped up and reassembled

MP3 is music chopped up, half thrown away, and then reassembled

E

enigma

Re: Re: Do you still play vinyl records?

Bluejuice said:

Vinyl is how music should sound.

Bang on.

I have decks, my collection is mostly Hip hop with some grime, dancehall and rnb as well.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i read the other day that danny howells who is a brilliant dj and on a par globally with sasha and digweed (ish) doesn't use cd's that often and says 'it isn't the same walking into a club without a heavy record bag'...

i love vinyl and understand that we have to keep buying it to keep the smaller labels in business... too many of my friends who play CD's own up to burning illegal copies but they don't understand that if youy don't recognize the artist with money then they won't be able to make records or the labels won't be able to put them out.

on the other side, i have seen some DJs do some cool stuff with CDJs, i saw tong the other night and he was just ripping up the sounds, loads of quick loops but lots of quality cross-fader action too. james zabiela is a head f*** with CD's too.

Yep, vinyl LPs are much better than CDs, as long as you get them in decent shape.

Not only that, but valve amplifiers are way better than transistor amps, and 78s will also sound great on a good system if they aren't scuffed too badly. The deep grooves allow a presence, like you are in the studio.

S'marvelous!

I have thousands of 45s and LPs, and always will.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
house your seagull said:

i love vinyl and understand that we have to keep buying it to keep the smaller labels in business... too many of my friends who play CD's own up to burning illegal copies but they don't understand that if youy don't recognize the artist with money then they won't be able to make records or the labels won't be able to put them out.

on the other side, i have seen some DJs do some cool stuff with CDJs, i saw tong the other night and he was just ripping up the sounds, loads of quick loops but lots of quality cross-fader action too. james zabiela is a head f*** with CD's too.

You also get into extremely bad legal issues if DJ'ing off cogged CD's. Here at least, either the venue has a PPI + IMRO licence, or you do - about 9 euros an event from the PPI, can't remember what an IMRO single event one costs... but it only covers you playing off legitimate media, that you have purchased.

For an approaching amateur disc monkey who plays shite nightclubs down the bogs occasionally, etc, CD mixers are a god send - vinyl is expensive, it can get damaged quite easily, etc. CD's also let you completely and utterly cheat and use a laptop - hey, if Paul Van Dyk does it, it has to be OK!

I've done in my hearing long past being able to notice any difference between a CD and vinyl quality wise.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have Decks and shed loads of vinyl altohugh I don't have much time to play them anymore as other things get in the way. Plus I have almost the whole lot on my PC as mp3s and its just easier.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I still play 78's - I've got 100's of them, they were my dad's and they help me to remember him.

:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here