Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you smoke?

Do you smoke?

• Total voters

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
was in the pub garden of my local about a month ago was a nice evening so sitting out with a couple of friends with a drink and smoking when the people on the next table had the cheek to complain about the smoke, where did they want me to go??

incedentally im for the smoking ban in certian pubs where the ventelation is bad/food is served but overall i would have said the landlord's should have been able to choose wether they allowed smoking or not if there was adequate ventellation etc.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I used to smoke, then I stopped in Feb of this year prior to a trip home to Australia where my whole family is anti-alcohol and smoking. I still hanker for one nearly every day...I know of the potential side effects on my health, I know it stinks, I know everything there is bad to know about it....But I miss it as it was only time I got 5 minutes to myself in this crazy world and a bit of me time, frankly as educated as I am - I couldn't give a stuff what it did to me... odd way of thinking really...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I quit last year........ but then the pain and the drugs took over my body and packing up became one battle too many so now i'm a smoker again. I'll try again but only when the pain has gone and the drugs are no longer needed.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I used to smoke, then I stopped in Feb of this year prior to a trip home to Australia where my whole family is anti-alcohol and smoking. I still hanker for one nearly every day...I know of the potential side effects on my health, I know it stinks, I know everything there is bad to know about it....But I miss it as it was only time I got 5 minutes to myself in this crazy world and a bit of me time, frankly as educated as I am - I couldn't give a stuff what it did to me... odd way of thinking really...

Hope you continue to succeeed Tede.....(i,m an utter failure I,m afraid).It is an odd way of thinking, but personally I find it mentally draining worrying about smoking, cholesterol, lack of exercise, not enough fruit, too much stress etc etc etc........... I,d rather just get on and live.............until I die..............job done...LOL..!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
but ignoring warnings and being encouraged to keep smoking by misreading them or bending them to suit yourself (as a smoker) is actually just thick.
Therefore, encourage thick people to smoke themselves to death amongst themselves, and it's a great method for culling the stupid from our species.

Incorrect NHM, many very intelligent people are smokers, thickos on the other hand are those who choose to clog up their arteries eating in McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and drinking Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I smoke and realise that ALL the problems of this once great country is down to me and the likes of me. I should be put in stocks and flagulated to within an inch of my life and then never spoken to again until I realise the error of my ways. Maybe then and only then this country can aspire to be a world force again.

Well if you will tip three legged nags who most would consider past it giving rides on Blackpool Beach what do you expect?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
People are getting into an area of discussion that takes the argument about giving up smoking (or not starting) absolutely nowhere.

"If you smoke, you'll be dead by the time you are fifty" - WRONG
"All smokers contract lung cancer" - WRONG

This leads on to ...

"Anti-smoking arguments are wrong" - QUITE OFTEN

"I'm going to ignore all this and start smoking" - QUITE POSSIBLE

I'd be the last to encourage anyone to take it up. But the exaggerated arguments of some people really don't frighten people off the weed very effectively.

Agreed LB, the statistical assessment is that ON AVERAGE smokers die seven years younger than non-smokers. But none of us live an average life.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fat Bastards (generally) don't force you to share their burger.

Yes but you are not being force to share people's smoke anymore are you. you have your smoking ban but that is not enough for you is it ?. You want to impose a ban on people's free will and not allow them to be allowed to smoke in an open beer garden or smoke in their own homes I would imagine. Well I don;t want to stand next to someone with BO because they are so fat eating junk food they sweat profusely but I will put up with it.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I have never smoked and don't wish to.

I am not a fat bastard and eat healthily. I exercise often and rarely get angry.

Therefore, I will live forever.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I have never smoked and don't wish to.

I am not a fat bastard and eat healthily. I exercise often and rarely get angry.

Therefore, I will live forever.

You wont live forever it will just seem like it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Churchill drank 2-3 bottles of Port a day, chain smoked large cigars and lived a full and active live into his 80's.

You could eat lots of salad, stop at 3 units of alcohol in any 1 session, never smoke, get on a treadmill at the gym, never get worked up and stressed and live to 90 but what sort of life is that ?.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Churchill drank 2-3 bottles of Port a day, chain smoked large cigars and lived a full and active live into his 80's.

You could eat lots of salad, stop at 3 units of alcohol in any 1 session, never smoke, get on a treadmill at the gym, never get worked up and stressed and live to 90 but what sort of life is that ?.

you could also be hit by a bus tommorow

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
was in the pub garden of my local about a month ago was a nice evening so sitting out with a couple of friends with a drink and smoking when the people on the next table had the cheek to complain about the smoke, where did they want me to go??

incedentally im for the smoking ban in certian pubs where the ventelation is bad/food is served but overall i would have said the landlord's should have been able to choose wether they allowed smoking or not if there was adequate ventellation etc.

Well of course the landlords SHOULD have been able to decide for themselves but this draconian law allows for no bloody leeway. What is wrong with having a sign on the door saying that this is either a smoking or a non smoking pub ? Then you have the choice of going in or not going in. And on railway stations - why the bloody hell can you not smoke if it's in the open air - OK keep the bit under the roof smoke free if you must but there's no point in having a ban in the open air now is it. I went to the 20/20 last week at the Oval - perfectly sensible rule there - you can smoke but not in the seats - as long as you go to the walkway around the ground then that is OK. Why can this sensible rule not be applied at football grounds ? :rant::angry::smokin:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Well of course the landlords SHOULD have been able to decide for themselves but this draconian law allows for no bloody leeway. What is wrong with having a sign on the door saying that this is either a smoking or a non smoking pub ? Then you have the choice of going in or not going in

But where's the incentive for a landlord to have a smoke-free pub? If, like most pubs, most of the clientele are smokers then they will go to other pubs that allow them to smoke indoors. Moreso in the winter I would say. This would appear to be backed up by pub chains claiming now that they have seen reductions in trade due to the smoking ban. No pub wants to lose customers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would be ironic popping out for a nice healthy jog and getting run over.

Didn't the guy who "invented" modern day jogging drop dead at about 50 something?

I'm not convinced that anything in moderation is that bad for you incl nice food, fags or alcohol

The idea of spending hundreds of pounds to go down the gym as often as possible seems a most unattractive past time to me but thousands do it and good luck to them. If they think bulging muscles and flat stomachs are what it's all about who am I to argue, escpecially if they think they are doing so much good to their body, I'm not convinced.

I no longer smoke but the fuss made by so many non smokers is almost religious in it's fanaticsm and frankly very boring and pious bollocks imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here