Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a fear of flying?

Do you have a fear of flying?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I mostly enjoy flying, and I'm one of few people I know who really enjoys landing.

Had issues with panic attacks about 5 years ago though which made one flight absolutely horrible.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm afraid of Dublin Airport. Never had a good experience there, so much so that I'll now drive anywhere less than 1000 miles away instead (like Brighton).

No problems with the flying itself though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Bizarely I have grown into a fear of flying. I worked for 7 years on flight simulators and flew very frequently during that period - at some points every week. I got very bored of it and started to dislike it for that reason. When I moved to my city job, the more I stayed away from flying my fear just grew, so now I've not flown for 12 years or so and can't envisage being able to again. But something may come along with enough incentive to go again.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I am not scared of flying for one simple reason, I always say to myself, if something goes tits up with the plane at around 32 thousand feet, (99.9999999% recurring) there aint crap all i am going to know about it.

Now crashing in the Andes and most passengers surviving scare's the living shite out of me, the reason being is I am the wrong side of 10 stone, and i just know as sure as plums is plums, ...those hungry bastards are gonna see me as a decent meal for frigging weeks to come !!!!!!:ohmy::(

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
flown fro mvery young age, so no, not at all. totally the opposite. i always focus on the fun i will have when i get to where i am going. it always baffles people are scared as you are WAY more likelt to be killed in a car or struck by lightning !!

was slightly scared when i flew to amsterdam in a robison 44 helicopter from shoreham..!!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm flying going on a very long flight (with stop overs, of course) from Perth, Australia to San Francisco in January. It's not the flying itself that I fear, but the discomfort and soreness you get from sitting on your arse in a horrible aeroplane seat for what feels like an eternity.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
I bloody love it. That feeling you get in your belly at the start of the runway when the plane suddenly goes from being almost still to lurching forward with full power is BRILLIANT.

That is a good feeling, but i f***ing hate flying, more than anything!
I am going to grab your penis to calm my nerves on saturday badger

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Until five years ago I would not fly. I had to be the last person on the plane, I had to supervise them shutting the door and I could not speak to anyone for the whole flight. I would have an average of 10 panic attacks each way when we went on holiday.

So, I spent £150 & spent one sunday at the Virgin Training Centre near Crawley. The first session told you how the plane worked, explained all the noises & told you how it wouldn't fall out of the sky. Real pilots & srewardesses took the course. The afternoon session was handed over to a psycologist who did the mind over matter bit. We went to sit in a mock up of a plane that they use for training & he went through a few exercises.

Six weeks later I flew to Florida with the family without any panic attacks and a few months after that I was able to fly with my daughter to see the Albion play at Plymouth. Since then I have also flown on my own and managed to look out of the window! It's the best £150 I've ever spent & the lunch was great too!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
f***ing HATE it. Always try to make sure I've necked enough Diazepam to ensure I'm passed out before the seatbelt signs are off. If they don't work, alcohol usually finishes the job.

Diazepam's great stuff. On a flight back from Italy last year the turbulance must have been really bad, but even then I was roused only briefly to see the stewardess stack over in the aisle before mumbling "oh" and passing out again. :)

On my last flight I could only get 6 x 2mgs from my doctor for the flight to Fuertaventura and back.
Christ, 12 mgs I thought. I normally do about 35 each way with quite a few beers and Scotches. . Mind you I have been known to overdo things in my time resulting in a brief detention in Budapest.

Still scares me shitless flying.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Flying doesn't bother me at all, crashing bothers me.

On my last flight I could only get 6 x 2mgs from my doctor for the flight to Fuertaventura and back.
Christ, 12 mgs I thought. I normally do about 35 each way with quite a few beers and Scotches. . Mind you I have been known to overdo things in my time resulting in a brief detention in Budapest.

You need a new doctor! My one's great, the last time prescribing a shiney new box of 5mgs over the telephone (though I did actually ask for 10mg).

As well as being great for knocking you out on the plane, I do love the sensation of floating around duty free in a valium-induced haze. All the bright lights and that, wicked.

Mmmmm, valium. Think I might pop a couple right now... :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You need a new doctor! My one's great, the last time prescribing a shiney new box of 5mgs over the telephone (though I did actually ask for 10mg).

As well as being great for knocking you out on the plane, I do love the sensation of floating around duty free in a valium-induced haze. All the bright lights and that, wicked.

Mmmmm, valium. Think I might pop a couple right now... :)

Many a time I have not really wanted to leave the airport. Its great if you have some mental relatives who can get you as many as you want as well.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
every time i take off, even if on my own i say to myself (in animal house style) GAAAINIIIIIING SPEEEEEEED.........:lol:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Have no fear of flying but hate air travel. Did loads of short haul flights for work when I was younger and took more flights that bus journeys at that time including some very hairy flights in bad weather aboard small planes (Shorts Skyvans anyone?) that made most rollercoasters seem like Volks railway.

It's a real shame as when I get to the airport I see loads of people who are all excited at flying as it is something they do very rarely. For me it is one of the most boring and mind numbing things that I hate doing. I tend to stick the MP3 player on and try to sleep for as much of the journey as possible. However, as I tend to have my holidays in Florida each year with the family to go and see friends out there, it's something that I force myself to do although the missus isn't very impressed when I try to shut myself off from the world for 9 hours!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I enjoy the build up and the flight it self, especially in a window seat.
However when I was talking to a mate in't pub who would never get on a plane, his simple answer was; 'If i'm on a ship and it sinks I can swim a bit, but I can't fly an inch.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here