Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a fear of flying?

Do you have a fear of flying?

• Total voters

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
You need a new doctor! My one's great, the last time prescribing a shiney new box of 5mgs over the telephone (though I did actually ask for 10mg).

As well as being great for knocking you out on the plane, I do love the sensation of floating around duty free in a valium-induced haze. All the bright lights and that, wicked.

Mmmmm, valium. Think I might pop a couple right now... :)

I love valium.

I tricked some out of the med' tent at Benicassim, this year, and was in a daze for ages. :drool:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All you people who are afraid of flying presumably dont use road transport then....

This is a laughable thread, look at the statistics of flying vs. any other way of getting about.

Having said that I don't ENJOY the helicopter flights that take me out to Oil Platforms but that is mostly because I am wearing a survival suit, lifejacket and ear muffs for the whole trip and know I am heading out to a place where I cant have a beer for a couple of weeks....

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Wasn't Aer Arran was it, by any chance?

If so, made the same trip myself over the summer and didn't find it that bad. That said, I much prefer flying in a 747/767 etc... than something that small.

No, it was Air Wales, they have ceased trading since 2006, to be honest i am not surprised, the 2 planes they had (if there were more than 2 planes I apologise, but i dont think there were?) were like something out of WW2 !!

The one we flew on was a 15 seater, they also had a 30 (might have been a few more ??) seater, they were very old and I am not surprised they stop trading, most people would have been to scared to get on the bloody things !! :lolol:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
All you people who are afraid of flying presumably dont use road transport then....

This is a laughable thread, look at the statistics of flying vs. any other way of getting about.

Having said that I don't ENJOY the helicopter flights that take me out to Oil Platforms but that is mostly because I am wearing a survival suit, lifejacket and ear muffs for the whole trip and know I am heading out to a place where I cant have a beer for a couple of weeks....

The thread is titled...."Do you Have a fear of Flying" not " Do you Have a fear of Flying but have you checked other statistics of other modes of transport"

simple question really, are you scared, or not ......

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Crap assumption.

A car engine fails, you pull to the side of the road, park and step out.

A planes engines fail. You die.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Crap assumption.

A car engine fails, you pull to the side of the road, park and step out.

A planes engines fail. You die.

When was the last time you were on a plane with 1 engine?

When was the last time you were on a plane with an undertrained pilot that can't glide them? Large planes even have ram-air turbines to keep the electrics going in case of all engine failure so that they can perform a glide landing.

Also, in the sky, theres no drunk pilots (you'd hope) to crash in to you, no black ice, no badly marked or signed bends, hidden dips...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
When was the last time you were on a plane with 1 engine?

When was the last time you were on a plane with an undertrained pilot that can't glide them? Large planes even have ram-air turbines to keep the electrics going in case of all engine failure so that they can perform a glide landing.

Also, in the sky, theres no drunk pilots (you'd hope) to crash in to you, no black ice, no badly marked or signed bends, hidden dips...

Sorry, its called an analogy. For 'failed engines' feel free to substitute any of the other disasters that have bought down planes.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Sorry, its called an analogy. For 'failed engines' feel free to substitute any of the other disasters that have bought down planes.

And its still less safe to drive places, no matter what you substitute in.

Most people I know have been in a car crash. I know a number of people who've been seriously injured, and two who died in them.

I've two relations who died because of a plane. It got blown up and the engine landed on their house. I don't know anyone else who's been injured in a plane crash, or even been in one actually...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
And its still less safe to drive places, no matter what you substitute in.

Most people I know have been in a car crash. I know a number of people who've been seriously injured, and two who died in them.

I've two relations who died because of a plane. It got blown up and the engine landed on their house. I don't know anyone else who's been injured in a plane crash, or even been in one actually...

Just a minute here. The question was about fear of flying.
You chose to bring driving into the discussion and its a complete irrelevance to the debate. The safety record of cars has no bearing on ones fear of flying.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Just a minute here. The question was about fear of flying.
You chose to bring driving into the discussion and its a complete irrelevance to the debate. The safety record of cars has no bearing on ones fear of flying.

Um. You're the one that made an analogy between cars and planes, not me...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Um. You're the one that made an analogy between cars and planes, not me...

But I wasn't comparing the relative safety records, I was merely pointing out the finality of an airbourne incident.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I am terrified of flying but when I flew to Argentina the plane had an outside camera filming the take off and landing and it made me feel better. Its strange but the more I fly the worse I get. Red rockets do the trick for me:thumbsup:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
So all the plane crashes I have seen over the years have been stage managed for theatrical effect.

You made an analogy between two situations, neither of which would actually be fatal if managed properly - hence your analogy was incorrect.

The things that have caused plane crashes would also cause you to die in cars.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The things that have caused plane crashes would also cause you to die in cars.

I have never died from ice on my car wing, or indeed a flock of ducks being sucked into the carburetor.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have never died from ice on my car wing, or indeed a flock of ducks being sucked into the carburetor.

You, however, would die if your cars power transfer system = wheels = suddenly got coated in ice (and people do die from skidding on ice every year).

Bird strikes are survivable, usually. As is a car hitting a land animal, usually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here