Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a fear of flying?

Do you have a fear of flying?

• Total voters

Oct 25, 2003
i hate that bit during take off when its nearly reached its PEAK and for a split second it feels like you're DROPPING

f***ing awful, get's me EVERY time

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I'm afraid of Dublin Airport. Never had a good experience there, so much so that I'll now drive anywhere less than 1000 miles away instead (like Brighton).

No problems with the flying itself though.

Dubbers International will be an infinitely better prospect when the new terminal is operational. Currently the airport is incredibly over crowded, and that led me having the arse the entire time I was there.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought I'd got over it, until this year when I had a particularly rough ride from New York down to Costa Rica. Over the Gulf of Mexico the weather was a bit interesting at the time to say the least.

I've never been on a plane when a jolt and a bang from the turbulence woke the whole plane up in unison.

Then having to take an internal single prop Sensa flight over the mountains in Costa Rica has put me off going in anything like that again.

Worst thing was ariving at our destination I couldn't work out where the hell we were going to land. The only other passanger apart from my wife, an American women (off her face on tranquilisers because she hated flying) pointed out the "airport" below.

Basically a tarmac block in the middle of the jungle, where the airport facilities considered of a wooden shed, and a behind a desk.

Never again :lolol:

When you are taking off sitting behind the pilot, where he's got one hand on the controls and the other trying to close his window, you just know there are less stressful ways of getting to the beach.

On the way back from New York the BA pilot helpfully told us, "those of you on the plane knowing something about aircraft engineering may have noticed a part missing from the wing, I'd just to ensure you that it isn't important and will be fixed back at Heathrow"

Brilliant holiday in Costa Rica, but getting over my fear of flying has gone back to square one.

There is something I still hate more though, being a passenger in a car where the driver is driving like an absolute maniac on the motorway.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Have no fear of flying but hate air travel. Did loads of short haul flights for work when I was younger and took more flights that bus journeys at that time including some very hairy flights in bad weather aboard small planes (Shorts Skyvans anyone?) that made most rollercoasters seem like Volks railway.

About 4 years ago, I flew from Cardiff to Dublin on a 15 seater Prop plane, now that was an experiance !! and the weather was bad, I now know what it is like if you are attached to a kite !!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Basically a tarmac block in the middle of the jungle, where the airport facilities considered of a wooden shed, and a behind a desk.

But what was behind a desk Clapham ? A woman selling mangos ? A monkey dressed as Carmen Miranda or maybe a man selling AA insurance. You`ve ruined that story.

QUOTE]

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
About 4 years ago, I flew from Cardiff to Dublin on a 15 seater Prop plane, now that was an experiance !! and the weather was bad, I now know what it is like if you are attached to a kite !!!

Wasn't Aer Arran was it, by any chance?

If so, made the same trip myself over the summer and didn't find it that bad. That said, I much prefer flying in a 747/767 etc... than something that small.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I'm f***ing PETRIFIED of flying :nono:

I've only ever flown once, and that was only to Nice, France. It was only a 90minute flight, but still enough to scare the living daylights out of me.

If I knew there was ABSOLUTELY no way the plane would EVER crash, then I'd be on one every day! It's just the fear of crashing that causes my fear.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I take it you don't drive, get on a bus, on a train, or cycle anywhere then?

I don't drive, no.

I get trains and buses all the time.

But how many Train and Bus crashes do you hear about in this country? I don't hear of anywhere near the amount of plane crashes on the news.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I don't drive, no.

I get trains and buses all the time.

But how many Train and Bus crashes do you hear about in this country? I don't hear of anywhere near the amount of plane crashes on the news.

Very rare to hear of a fatal commercial airliner crash in the UK.

Common enough to hear of fatal train crashes - Hatfield, Selby, Greyrigg, Potters Bar....

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Very rare to hear of a fatal commercial airliner crash in the UK.

Common enough to hear of fatal train crashes - Hatfield, Selby, Greyrigg, Potters Bar....

Compared to those train crashes, how many plane crashes have you heard about in the same timespan?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All you people who are afraid of flying presumably dont use road transport then....

This is a laughable thread, look at the statistics of flying vs. any other way of getting about.

Having said that I don't ENJOY the helicopter flights that take me out to Oil Platforms but that is mostly because I am wearing a survival suit, lifejacket and ear muffs for the whole trip and know I am heading out to a place where I cant have a beer for a couple of weeks....

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Absolutely terrified, msotly its the taking off that does it for me, and I quite enjoy landing...white knuckles all the way though

and to think, in March I have to take 4 flights in 3 weeks...
Toronto to Amsterdam
Amsterdam to Nairobi
Nairobi to Amsterdam
Amsterdam to Toronto

but some things are worth it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here