Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do you give to beggers?

got stopped in North St last night, usual spiel, "I'm on the streets mate, hopin to get a couple o quid for summink to eat etc..." feeling quite mellow after a good win I stopped and let him finish, as I was standing outside the co-op I offered to buy him a sandwich (I don't give money as I believe it simply ends up in the pocket of Brightons drug dealers, my opinion that,s all)
his reply was "I'd rather have the money" I informed him that wasn't gonna happen to which his reply was "do you know how many people offer to buy me fuckin sandwiches?" I walked away at this stage to a barrage of abuse and actually felt guilty! I wish i'd just done what most other people and just ignored him

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I wouldn't give my money either and i'd give nothing to anyone I saw smoking or drinking.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rarely do as sadly you are normally contributing to their problem by feeding their habit.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I never give any money although I normally say I havn't got any money to give rather than just ignore them.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I buy a Big Issue every now and again but not otherwise.

This. I'm not convinced that all people on the streets are actually as badly off as they claim. At least with the BI sellars, you know they're reasonably genuine and are trying to do something about their situation other than just sitting pissed in a doorway or getting aggressive because they can't afford the next fix.

D

Deleted User X18H

No. We contribute to certain charities like Shelter and Joseph Rowntree.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
a few years ago they were on at us not to give to beggars, especially round the station and stuff. You cant help but to ask their plight. Once a beggar asked me to give me some money to help towards buying some nappies. I merely offered some simple advice in that perhaps it was not a good idea to be having children if he's unemployed. All I got was abuse.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
i got stopped the other morning and was asked, "any change mate?" i replied " no mate still got the big house and flash car! "

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nope. i pay money for goods and services i want, and being begged at is not a service i require. they are either scammers or you are just perpetuating their misery by making it a viable way of life. i can understand people giving food, as that should solve their claimed need, but as seen here so often thats not really what they want. save the cash for charities that will deal with the genuine cases.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Big issue sellers, 90% can f*** right off,the one in my home town,has gold tooth,latest mobile phone,and is romanain,now thats piss take,girls beggars i tend to give to,just imo its harder for a girl.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sometimes.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
At my old company when it first started my director walked passed a begger who had the gift of the gab who asked him for change to which my boss replied "no but I'll give you a job selling" (albeit on the phones). The beggar didnt want to know

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I bought a big issue once from a seller who had a big issue in one hand and a pair of pumps in the other hand cos he was singing "big issues, smallish shoes" and made me laugh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here