Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you agree with the striking tube workers?

Do you think the tube workers are right to strike?

• Yes

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 86 83.5%

• Total voters

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And sometimes you have to work bank holidays and weekends.

I think thats it.

Hmmm, so do I but I don't make £40k a year.

*digs out Tube driver application form*

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone know how to get into tube driving, it sounds like a nice little number?

I checked the TFL website and there's no vacancies

Hmmm, funny that. So, they're all completely disgruntled with their appalling money, threat of redundancy and terrible working conditions...but I assume from the fact that there are no advertised vacancies, they haven't quite found life bad enough to quit?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The claim for 5% would be whittled down through negotiations anyway. The problem with a deal involving a % increase for the 2nd year and the inflation figure + x is less than 0% means a pay cut. The union has to be resolute on its stand over redundancies , by all means let people choose to go on a voluntary basis if the offer is too good to refuse but imposing compulsory redundancies is non negotiable.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They should be grateful they don't work for C&G - then they'd know what the real world was like :jester::jester::jester:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The union has to be resolute on its stand over redundancies , by all means let people choose to go on a voluntary basis if the offer is too good to refuse but imposing compulsory redundancies is non negotiable.

bollocks. they inherited more staff than they need when they bailed out the maintanence firm, and its back room staff not drivers going anyway. anyway what is this strike over? no redundancies, length of deal, pay, now two dismissed drivers: they are having a strike for what ever f***ing reason they can drum up. i wonder what they'd say if TfL said no reduncancies but no pay increase, will they accept that? of course not.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
bollocks. they inherited more staff than they need when they bailed out the maintanence firm, and its back room staff not drivers going anyway. anyway what is this strike over? no redundancies, length of deal, pay, now two dismissed drivers: they are having a strike for what ever f***ing reason they can drum up. i wonder what they'd say if TfL said no reduncancies but no pay increase, will they accept that? of course not.

Thats TfL's problem not the RMT's . Talking about compulsory redundancies is bound to incur the wrath of the union. Other options can be explored such as redeployment or voluntary redundancy. Up the workers. :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bob Crow is a complete and utter knuckle dragger of the highest order.

Should never be in the position he is to lead RMT.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Network Rail offered us 3.5% back in Jan but that twat Bob Crow & his cronies still haven't agreed to it yet. Looks like he spoiling for a fight in the summer when the signalmen get their pay offer. He only ever wants unreasonable demands. He's a complete c**t!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How f***ing difficult can it be to drive a tube train?

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
Anybody attempting the trip tomorrow MUST phone National Rail as the TOC's are saying that it will be unsafe to stop at Wembley due to the extra demand for their services.

If you try you are nuts and I admire that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thats TfL's problem not the RMT's . ... Other options can be explored such as redeployment or voluntary redundancy. Up the workers

no its both parties problem and the realities of the life and the current economy we live in. we, the public using the tube, can not carry a couple of thousand extra staff. where exactly are you supposed to redeploy them too and who right now would take redundancy. wake up, if there arent some job losses front line services will suffer.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Looks like he spoiling for a fight in the summer when the signalmen get their pay offer.

I think there would be a lot of support for industrial action at the moment but it would have f*** all to do with pay.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Vacancies must exist with other TOC's and sub contractors around the country ( I moved 250 miles to stay in a job ) , retraining with the aim of transferring into other parts of TfL , voluntary redundancy for over 55's which entitles them to take their company pension immediately.

I guess they don't actually expect to get 5%, that's just their starting point in the bargaining, but the redundancy thing is ridiculous: what industry can guarantee nobody will be made redundant in this day and age?
When Bob Kiely prostituted 7000 staff to Metronet(under PPP) LU promised,repeat promised NO compulsary redundancies,now Metronet have gone pop(after having more public money thrown at them in the last 6 years than the tube got during the whole of 80s and most of the 90s)LU has had to re-employ the staff it brassed off to Metronet,Scruffy Tory Boy Boris now says that a 1000 of those staff must go,reneging on a previous promise of no compulsary redundancies.True that it is hard to imagine in this day and age, that sort of promise seems fanciful,however the promise was made,so must be kept, surely?,I know for a fact that the union would've accepted 1.5% in a one year deal,however LU want a multi year deal,
let's not forget thrillriders,Lu is taking 1 million more passengers per DAY than 18 months ago,that's about 3 million quid a day more,the company is awash with cash,it's just using a very difficult period as an excuse to offer areal term pay cut,
Also it's not 8 weeks hols it's 9 and not 40k,nearer 42k

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
When Bob Kiely prostituted 7000 staff to Metronet(under PPP) LU promised,repeat promised NO compulsary redundancies,now Metronet have gone pop(after having more public money thrown at them in the last 6 years than the tube got during the whole of 80s and most of the 90s)LU has had to re-employ the staff it brassed off to Metronet,Scruffy Tory Boy Boris now says that a 1000 of those staff must go,reneging on a previous promise of no compulsary redundancies.True that it is hard to imagine in this day and age, that sort of promise seems fanciful,however the promise was made,so must be kept, surely?,I know for a fact that the union would've accepted 1.5% in a one year deal,however LU want a multi year deal,
let's not forget thrillriders,Lu is taking 1 million more passengers per DAY than 18 months ago,that's about 3 million quid a day more,the company is awash with cash,it's just using a very difficult period as an excuse to offer areal term pay cut,
Also it's not 8 weeks hols it's 9 and not 40k,nearer 42k

And would you care to comment on the reported reason for the strikes not being called off. Namely that RMT wanted two people reinstated who had been sacked for safety breaches (normally something that the union take very seriously) and theft.?

And would you care to comment on the reported reason for the strikes not being called off. Namely that RMT wanted two people reinstated who had been sacked for safety breaches (normally something that the union take very seriously) and theft.?
Exactly what you say"reported"In all union/ management negotiations every outstanding disagreement gets slung into the pot,the case for these two individuals was not the deciding factor for the strike going ahead,as state television would have you believe,
a union has a duty to get what's best for it's members,whatever accusations have been levelled at an individual a union negotiator is obliged to act in his/her best interest,bit like a shyster lawyer defending drug dealers and rapists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here