Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you agree with the striking tube workers?

Do you think the tube workers are right to strike?

• Yes

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 86 83.5%

• Total voters

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'm all for the right to strike. Sometimes 'being nice' to an employer doesn't work, and something a little more organised is needed. You're talking, often, about people not earning that much using their one tool to battle against people earning a shitload for better pay and conditions. At the end of the day, some employers only respond to being hit in the pocket, or in this case incurring huge disruption to the service provided.

BUT. What you do learn from industrial action is you have to pick your fights, and your moment. Asking for 5% and no redundancies in the current climate is bonkers. Fair enough to start negotiations from there, but they will get no public support if they don't scale dopwn those demands, because everyone else is losing jobs, homes, or just really struggling.

But the thing is, is that the RMT don't care what the public think. They are Leeds of the union world. There one and only goal is to get as much money out of TfL as possible and because they know that they can cause chaos easily they normally get it.

Reading the Standard yesterday evening, it appeared that a deal was going to be done, when the RMT decided they wanted to include the reinstatement of 2 suspended drivers into the package. One was suspended for opening the doors on the wrong side then falsifying safety check records. The other is up in front of the beak soon for theft!!

Bob Crowe :censored::censored::censored:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
those demands are completely unreasonable, people should be grateful to be in work at the moment there are so many people who need a job. Im not saying companies should pray on this but some understanding of the current climate should be displayed on both sides of the fence.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I voted 'Yes' without even bothering to read what it was about. My natural inclination is to support all strikers and if I'm feeling even-handed I might bother to find out what it's about. I like a good picket, me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
2008 average salary for a tube driver = £40,000, + overtime, + 35-40 days holiday a year (because of often working "unsociable hours"). And they want a 5% rise and a guarantee of no redundencies ?

Seems perfectly reasonable doesn't it.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
These guys need a reality check.

In the last year I've seen my company cut 2/3 of our workforce and personally, my salary has been cut by nearly 1/3.

But at least I've still got an income.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This is just typical Bob Crow, Call a strike over pay but ignore the real problems that his members are facing within the rail industry.

I voted 'Yes' without even bothering to read what it was about.

Well by doing that you've not only let me down, the thread down and 3 million tube users in London down. Most importantly you've let YOURSELF down. :nono:

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Well by doing that you've not only let me down, the thread down and 3 million tube users in London down. Most importantly you've let YOURSELF down. :nono:

Isn't that what the inflatable Policeman said to the inflatable boy that took a drawing pin onto the inflatable tube train?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Normally I would be backing the workers in an industrial dispute, but when most people are on a 0% pay rise these days, demanding 5% is taking the piss. So I would say not agree with the strikers in this instance.

It could well be that the RMT members who voted to strike could be using the opportunity to hit back over other grievances rather than just pay?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess they don't actually expect to get 5%, that's just their starting point in the bargaining, but the redundancy thing is ridiculous: what industry can guarantee nobody will be made redundant in this day and age?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
2008 average salary for a tube driver = £40,000, + overtime, + 35-40 days holiday a year (because of often working "unsociable hours"). And they want a 5% rise and a guarantee of no redundencies ?

Seems perfectly reasonable doesn't it.

40k?! Really?! To drive a train? Why so much?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
f***ing parasites the lot of them.

Yes indeed.

How come they earn £40k then? They're locked in a little cabin, so it's not like they have to deal with or be threatened by the great unwashed like bus drivers do, and it can't be that complicated either, just learn what the signals mean, know how to say "Mind the gap" in three different languages, and press "stop" or "go" every so often.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
40k?! Really?! To drive a train? Why so much?

S' what it says ere

Tube Driver Average Salary 2008

Why so much ? Well, apparently theres a lot of training involved, and a lot of responsibilty. And it gets a bit dull for them, what with being in a tunnel all day with no scenary or fresh air and stuff. And sometimes you have to work bank holidays and weekends.

I think thats it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here