Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do southhampton have a rival?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You got to be kidding? Although on the pitch Arsenal Tottenham is big, off it Chelsea Tottenham is massive. QPR also hate them.

Gillingham are the one club with no recognised rival. "The 2003 Football Fans Census revealed that no other team's supporters considered Gillingham to be among their club's main rivals.[81] Millwall are considered to be the closest the Gills have to local rivals."

What about Charlton and Orient? Charlton like to think Palace hate them but most Palace fans I know couldn't give a flying feck about them. Millwall and West Ham are both certainly to busy to care about either of them. Perhaps they should start hating each other?

As for the original post :facepalm: Rangers and Celtic aside Pompey Saints has to be one of the biggest rivalries in the British Isles if not the biggest.

Chin Strain

Oct 21, 2011
On the bus
They dont like SWINDON much either

We don't care about them at all. They're a bit like Bompey (Bournemouth)...want to beat them because they were challenging (the year before last), but there's no rivalry - they may not like us, like Bompey, but we don't care about them.

I went to Dean Court last season, and Bompey were so desperate to beat us. The chairman, Mitchell, had spent the whole season and most of pre season stoking the fire, claiming all sorts about Eddie Howe being offered the job at SMS and turning it down. Manager Lee Bradbury (Saints fan and ex Pompey...go figure) was busy telling anyone who would listen that it was as big as Saints v Pompey...seriously?

Even last years game v Brighton - both were big because we were after the same thing. Sure there were a few words between the managers, which was pretty childish and ill advised - Nige shouldn't have said what he said - I cringed. Poyets comment about D&R being just Rickie Lambert short of being as good as us was, frankly, one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard. However, this season we start again, but it's a big game for us because we want the points to maintain our lead and our winning home run, and you need the points to get back on track. There will always be an extra edge whilst the two managers are in charge, but it's a minor sideshow (certainly for us).

There's only one south coast derby......and the first one is December.....massive. massive game for both sets of fans.

As for the OP....FFS

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Portsmouth and Southampton supporters are love rivals for the hand of Dale Winton.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Now that they are a league team, who are Crawleys "rivals" ?

StuRomseySaint

Jan 18, 2006
I guess not..... in this case.

I did'nt realise the hate was so deep.

But dan there was no backtrack...... i just think it's more history than an existing one

but i stand corrected oh great one

There was nearly 100 arrests last year when we played them and 14 years worth of prison sentances handed out.

This years games are one of the biggest police operations the south has ever seen.

The hatred is very much now and as strong as ever.

We don't care about Bournemouth though... they are more like an annoying little brother.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think the strongest rivalry in football is between Millwall & West Ham that goes back to the dockers strike in 1926. Dockers were paid a pittance then on piece work and the families faced starvation during a lengthy strike that was broken by the Millwall dockers on the south of the river. The enmity that arose then between them and the West Ham dockers on the north of the Thames make Brighton Palace rivalry pale into insignificance.

To be honest I’d forgotten about the background to this rivalry. I always say the strongest rivalries stem from historical hatred between people outside of the realms of football though, the Millwall Hammers one being a good example.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You got to be kidding? Although on the pitch Arsenal Tottenham is big, off it Chelsea Tottenham is massive. QPR also hate them.

Gillingham are the one club with no recognised rival. "The 2003 Football Fans Census revealed that no other team's supporters considered Gillingham to be among their club's main rivals.[81] Millwall are considered to be the closest the Gills have to local rivals."

Bournemouth surely. Gills, yes, but nobody gives a toss about Bournemouth either.

cocklebreath

Nov 12, 2011
The dockers strike thing is a myth from the skates, at no time did Southampton dockers break the strike in p*rtsmouth but they are used to fabricating the truth down there. The club should have been wound up last season after owing the tax man over £100 million, they got away with it so me, you and everyone else paid for the cup win. *****.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The dockers strike thing is a myth from the skates, at no time did Southampton dockers break the strike in p*rtsmouth but they are used to fabricating the truth down there.

I had a little browse through the many Brighton threads on Saintsweb because you have no rivalry or obsession with us (you see it does go two ways), and I noticed a post asking for some SCC fan to tell us on NSC that the dock strike thing is a fallacy... glad to see you have obliged. Not that I believe it, prefer a good fable.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Even last years game v Brighton - both were big because we were after the same thing. Sure there were a few words between the managers, which was pretty childish and ill advised - Nige shouldn't have said what he said - I cringed. Poyets comment about D&R being just Rickie Lambert short of being as good as us was, frankly, one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard. However, this season we start again, but it's a big game for us because we want the points to maintain our lead and our winning home run, and you need the points to get back on track. There will always be an extra edge whilst the two managers are in charge, but it's a minor sideshow (certainly for us).

There's only one south coast derby......and the first one is December.....massive. massive game for both sets of fans.

As for the OP....FFS

This should be made a sticky when any Saints fans come on here LORDING it up. Last year was a sideshow and its good to see a TRUE Saints fan getting his PRORITIES right.

Like OURS is Palace. ALWAYS.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I actually want Saints to win the league, got 16/1 on them in the Summer, with £10 on it.... aside from 2 fixtures this season, I really couldn't care if they win every game!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It may look like i'm fishing......... but really do they?

As much as we hate palarse, it is kind of cool to have a proper rival.

Who do they have?

I'm looking forward to going on saturday but........ it's not like that croydon lot.

Honestly (and I know you probably know this by now), that is possibly the single most stupid post I've ever read on this site.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
This should be made a sticky when any Saints fans come on here LORDING it up. Last year was a sideshow and its good to see a TRUE Saints fan getting his PRORITIES right.

Like OURS is Palace. ALWAYS.

Leave it out Tone! Our Manager said Southampton is a bigger game for us - because they're Southampton. You know as well as I do that Gus is NEVER wrong. :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Poyets comment about D&R being just Rickie Lambert short of being as good as us was, frankly, one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard.

That isn't QUITE what he said though. He was talking about your STYLE of play, rather than your relative quality.

He said that you PLAY LIKE D+R, but the difference was you had a quality striker to launch the ball to.

And to be honest, Lallana aside, he was right.

Jan 30, 2008
I would say it's slightly larger than us/palace (which has been a bit on-off in recent years)

When they draew each other in the third round of the cup in 1984, ALL police leave in the entire county of Hampshire was cancelled so they could deal with it.:eek:
nothing happened though, the scummers came with the OB holding their hands, and were locked in afterwards.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Southampton have never had a top firm unlike Portsmouth (The 657 Crew - named after the train they used to catch on a Saturday morning).

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
What a bizarre thread??!!

Living between the two city's I can confirm they absolutely 100% hate each other as I thought everyone knew?! As has been said already, it is more than just football hatred. Much bigger rivalry than our's with Palace.

Personally, can't stand either of them,
Apart from this retard they do! Even my mum!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here