Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do southhampton have a rival?

se3eagle

Banned
Aug 30, 2011
Brighton - Palace is a football rivalry. Portsmouth - Southampton is based on civic rivalry going back nearly a century.

I am sure a tame Southampton fan will be along to do a brief history in a moment.

I wish we weren't rivals...I just think your a bunch of embarassing knobs.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Chelsea don't have a big rival - think they claim Arsenal, QPR and Fulham. But they're never games like Arsenal - Spurs, Sunderland - Newcastle, Pompy - Saints for example

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Sorry but feel I need to add to this.

Our rivalry is f***ing fierce. We dangerously hate each other like few other rivalries in football. I've been to many a Saints Pompey game and it's damn right nasty. Neither set of fans sing songs about their team, just songs about how much they hate each other. And the atmosphere outside the ground, before and after, if nasty. Fans climbing over high walls, cars and just about anything just to get at each other. The last SMS meeting ended up with lengthy prison sentences for many fans and look at the police bubble last weekend.

I've been to a few Brighton palarse games (this season included) and although it'd very hostile and not like any other game it's not in the same league of hatred. Maybe it's because Palarse are a London team and have other London rivals (eg Charlton)

I know I'll get a barage of dissagreement but you have to go to a Saints Pompey game to see what I mean.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Our rivalry is f***ing fierce. We dangerously hate each other like few other rivalries in football. I've been to many a Saints Pompey game and it's damn right nasty. Neither set of fans sing songs about their team, just songs about how much they hate each other. And the atmosphere outside the ground, before and after, if nasty. Fans climbing over high walls, cars and just about anything just to get at each other. The last SMS meeting ended up with lengthy prison sentences for many fans and look at the police bubble last weekend.

I've been to a few Brighton palarse games (this season included) and although it'd very hostile and not like any other game it's not in the same league of hatred. Maybe it's because Palarse are a London team and have other London rivals (eg Charlton)

I know I'll get a barage of dissagreement but you have to go to a Saints Pompey game to see what I mean.

I think you are slightly wrong about Palace having rivals in the form of Charlton, as there is not a history of violence between the two clubs. There is a generation who have grown up in Brighton hating Palace but haven't seen us play them so part of it is pantomime hatred.

Portsmouth are a revolting bunch, and the violence at the matches against Saints eclipses what we have with Palace.

Personally I have always had a soft spot for Saints because of Sir Matt Le Tiss.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

The atmosphere last week was pretty shit from both sides I thought. Not doubting the intensity but just because you have more hooligans on each side doesnt make it a deeper rivalry,

It is one of the biggest in the country for sure but all the games I've seen between the sides have not lived up to the pre match hype atmosphere wise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here