Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do southhampton have a rival?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
What a bizarre thread??!!

Living between the two city's I can confirm they absolutely 100% hate each other as I thought everyone knew?! As has been said already, it is more than just football hatred. Much bigger rivalry than our's with Palace.

Personally, can't stand either of them,

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
With exception of Rangers and Celtic and to a lesser extent Newcastle Sunderland i'd say its the biggest rivalry in british football because the hatred goes further than simply 90 minutes of football.
If football had never been invented there would still be a lot of bad blood between the people of both towns.

I think the strongest rivalry in football is between Millwall & West Ham that goes back to the dockers strike in 1926. Dockers were paid a pittance then on piece work and the families faced starvation during a lengthy strike that was broken by the Millwall dockers on the south of the river. The enmity that arose then between them and the West Ham dockers on the north of the Thames make Brighton Palace rivalry pale into insignificance.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
The Brighton-S'ton thing is very recent, and very tiny in comparison.

Brighton - Saints is nothing more than a minor south coast rivalry. last year was nothing more than we had with cardiff, chesterfield and any other club that we've been competitive with when pushing for promotion.

D

Deleted member 18477

fulham dont really give a shit about chelsea. think QPR care more about chelsea.

fulham and chelsea seems to be more friendly. although yes its always nice to beat a neighbour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure no one cares about Chelsea.

You got to be kidding? Although on the pitch Arsenal Tottenham is big, off it Chelsea Tottenham is massive. QPR also hate them.

Gillingham are the one club with no recognised rival. "The 2003 Football Fans Census revealed that no other team's supporters considered Gillingham to be among their club's main rivals.[81] Millwall are considered to be the closest the Gills have to local rivals."

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
The last time we played the skates, i think there were around 100 arrests. Nearly all of these came in the weeks after the match.

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
When we play them in December it's a bubble trip (HAVE to get a coach, you get your ticket once on the coach) and god knows how many roads are closed around fratton park so yes it is a huge rivalry

matt

Mar 19, 2007
It may look like i'm fishing......... but really do they?

As much as we hate palarse, it is kind of cool to have a proper rival.

Who do they have?

I'm looking forward to going on saturday but........ it's not like that croydon lot.

1147%20-%20animated_gif%20coleman%20confused%20gary%20whatcha_talkin_bout_willis%20wtf.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here