Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do some parents NEED telling about what they feed their children?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Don't follow you re genes,longer,healthier life....can you elaborate?

I would suspect that your genetic make up will offer you a greater chance of living a longer, healthier life than those that do not possess them.

Initially the thread was about poor versus good nutrition, thats fair, but some on here seem to mix up nutrition with calories and the obvious visual effects of being obese.

Everything we do will ultimately effect are longevity, but the starting point would be what we were born with and that is genetics.

I am pretty sure that along with smoking on your Life Assurance form they ask about you family history and actuaries are paid a high wage to get this right.

My point remains, offer the information, but I would not want some current fad to directly impact on how I feed my family.

That will be a considered choice I make depending on what might be appropriate for my children at any given time, depending on their activity and lifestyle.

These discussions are generally prejudiced and tend to be delivered by the middle classes to the perceived 'lower classes'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
These discussions are generally prejudiced and tend to be delivered by the middle classes to the perceived 'lower classes'.

There are some children at my sons' primary school that have never eaten in a sushi restaurant. Call me prejudiced if you like but I'll not sit idly by whilst child neglect is going on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a fine line I admit but what I suppose I object to the most is the arbitarily imposed targets. E.g. Five a day, alcohol limits etc The stupidest thing was the constantly changing guidelines on women drinking during pregnancy. They know it is safe for women to drink a little in the latter stages, but because some people would drink to excess they decided that the advice should be not to drink at all

Why can't it just be simple messages like Greens are good for you, Don't booze too much.

That would surely achieve "education" without ramming it down peoples throats and giving them more responsibility for deciding what is good for them.

I can throw some insight here as nearly 20 years ago I was part of the team working on the government's Drinkwise campaign. Simple messages like "Don't booze too much" had no effect as, for some people, it was OK to drink 8 pints of strong lager or two bottles every night as long as you didn't actually pass out.

The units system was adopted (although that's still not clearly understood) and recommended maximums were adopted. We went for the lowest figure eg the amount of alcohol anyone can drink without any ill effect on anyone's health, in reality, most people can drink more without any problem.

It should also be said that plenty of members of the Drinkwise team spent many hours down the pub, drinking well in excess of recommended limits. Research I'd call it.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
'Home Economics' round our way.

An inedible Shepherd's Pie (as it was called - it was really a Cottage Pie) was the sum total of my cooking experience within D8 at Dorothy Stringer.

Round my way too, at Rydon in Thakeham we also made shepherd' pie, plus a victoria sponge if my memory serves me well...this was over 30 years ago!

Despite not having any cooking lessons after the age of 11 I still manage to fend for myself, live on a healthy diet and whip up something tasty and nutritious every day from fresh ingredients.

I think the problem comes down to education, it is pointless telling people that they should eat a healthy diet, rather inform them of the considerable benefits of eating good food...plus other lifestyle choices like not smoking, drinking in moderation or taking regular exercise.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Despite not having any cooking lessons after the age of 11 I still manage to fend for myself, live on a healthy diet and whip up something tasty and nutritious every day from fresh ingredients.

That's all very well but many people don't have that option. My mother lives a town in the north-east and we horrified when we visited it that there wasn't a single greengrocer in the place.

It's not just the north. Where I live in Coldean, there's a very limited choice of fresh fruit and veg, to get them, we have to go into town. If you're someone on benefits or a pension that's nearly £4 a pop, even before you've done your shopping.

That's been aa big change. When I was growing up in Moulsecoomb, we had a greengrocer, baker and butcher within a few minutes walk - now, it's just convenience foods. It's not a great advance, TBH

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's all very well but many people don't have that option. My mother lives a town in the north-east and we horrified when we visited it that there wasn't a single greengrocer in the place.

It's not just the north. Where I live in Coldean, there's a very limited choice of fresh fruit and veg, to get them, we have to go into town. If you're someone on benefits or a pension that's nearly £4 a pop, even before you've done your shopping.

That's been aa big change. When I was growing up in Moulsecoomb, we had a greengrocer, baker and butcher within a few minutes walk - now, it's just convenience foods. It's not a great advance, TBH

It actually sounds like appalling regression.

What this government decision has done is pander to the petulant brats who 'don't like it because they've never tried it' and their sponsors who blather on about 'personal responsibility' (which of course is a good thing), without having the first clue as to what it is or how to exercise it (which is not a good thing).

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I have a feeling there is another underlying issue regarding the Conservative statement. When Oliver began his campaign regarding school dinners nearly all school catering was contracted out with the companies supplying the food running it for a profit for not only themselves but also related contractors. The net result was that school canteens had to make money meaning the food was often of the chips and burgers variety which they knew they could sell. Even if the canteen staff knew of places to get cheaper supplies they were tied into contracts and were unable to deviate. When Oliver's campaign got going a lot schools bought the catering back in-house with the result they had more control over what they sold, who they could purchase their supplies from and above all producing proper cooked dinners.

If Lansley is saying that then I reckon the Conservatives may well be looking to contract out these services again under the guise of choice but also trying to raise a little cash for the exechequer by flogging the franchises.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I would suspect that your genetic make up will offer you a greater chance of living a longer, healthier life than those that do not possess them.

Initially the thread was about poor versus good nutrition, thats fair, but some on here seem to mix up nutrition with calories and the obvious visual effects of being obese.

Everything we do will ultimately effect are longevity, but the starting point would be what we were born with and that is genetics.

I am pretty sure that along with smoking on your Life Assurance form they ask about you family history and actuaries are paid a high wage to get this right.

My point remains, offer the information, but I would not want some current fad to directly impact on how I feed my family.

That will be a considered choice I make depending on what might be appropriate for my children at any given time, depending on their activity and lifestyle.

Big Gully,I think I understand what you are saying.....it is the genes you possess that will play a bigger part in how long you live rather than what you eat....so the big mamma in Asda may outlive you 'cos she has the genes!!
Am I right?Take your point to a certain extent,but I do not think that adopting a basically healthy diet is a'fad'.
Reckon the discussions are generally biased towards pointing out the benefits of having a good diet and the dangers of eating crap too often.Fact of life....the middle classes tend to eat 'better' than the working classes and are less likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes and other diseases associated with obesity and lack of exercise......ask the actuaries and the medical profession.Look at the life expectancy of working class Glasgow compared to Kensington and Chelsea for instance!

D

Deleted User X18H

Where I live in Coldean, there's a very limited choice of fresh fruit and veg, to get them, we have to go into town. If you're someone on benefits or a pension that's nearly £4 a pop, even before you've done your shopping.

What people can't WALK to Sainsburys?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

This I find very sad, the healthy option doesn't have to cost a fortune, at Sainsburys you can get free recipe cards to feed your family for a fiver...I am guessing that that might be the same cost as a meal for one at McDonalds.

The problem you highlight of a lack of places to buy fresh food is dreadful, it probably doesn't just happen in cities either, I am guessing it has happened because of the power of the large supermarket chains...unfortunately few of these open stores in places where they are really needed, unless they can turn in a healthy profit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This I find very sad, the healthy option doesn't have to cost a fortune, at Sainsburys you can get free recipe cards to feed your family for a fiver...I am guessing that that might be the same cost as a meal for one at McDonalds.

Yes, I'm not saying that the lack of places to buy fresh food is the only problem, there's an unwillingness to cook.

I think of a lot of it is generational rather than a class issue: I'm 53 and cook just about every meal from scratch, but when I look at people buying the ready meals in supermarkets, they're normally in their 20s rather than pensioners.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Blimey, you learn something new every day.

And there was me thinking it was advice offered by people who know what they're on about towards people who don't. Evidently it was a class issue all along.

Tcha.

No, it was you feeling smugly superior to those you find unsightly and in your own view slightly thick people who maybe in the light of another bit of research, choose not to feed their family how some sponsored scientists wish.

After all we all know it will soon be proved to be incorrect and another piece of research will say how actually meat and two veg is the future, just like Granny said.

In the extreme cases I agree vegetarians, vegans, morbidly obese and other food fascists like you need a good kickin', but people have become tired of the 'worried well' telling others who are doing ok thank you how to live their lives.

D

Deleted User X18H

No, it was you feeling smugly superior to those you find unsightly and in your own view slightly thick people who maybe in the light of another bit of research, choose not to feed their family how some sponsored scientists wish.

It is deliciously ironic he started a thread about other peoples eating habits and how people feed their children I mean really! Come on:lolol:

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

DO you WALK to Sainsburys?

You really are a fuckwit.

No I don't (they come to me) but the whole point is that just because it costs 4quid apparently, to get into town from Coldean , shouldn't deter people from seeking decent cheap food from Sainsburys. Saying that people with 3 or 4 kids can't walk there is ridiculous.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No I don't (they come to me) but the whole point is that just because it costs 4quid apparently, to get into town from Coldean , shouldn't deter people from seeking decent cheap food from Sainsburys. Saying that people with 3 or 4 kids can't walk there is ridiculous.

And as if to prove the 'fuckwit' point... :facepalm:

Tiddles, for your own sake, shut the f*** up.

For everyone else's sake - carry on, you are quality entertainment on the 'fuckwit' front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here