Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do England Have a DNA ??

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Interesting to compare what is being said about the England midfield today with what was being said about Scotland the day before with our own, our very own, wee Billy Gilmour!

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
I've always thought the idea of an England DNA is ridiculous. Different players are playing for different clubs with different managers playing different systems. Everton don't play the same way as Man City do they?
As inept as Southgate is the real issue is the English f.a and it has been for years. How Southgate has been allowed to lead us to 4 tournaments is beyond me, he should have been sacked after the Croatia wc defeat, all we've done since is wasted 6 years.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Southgate's England DNA is that of a failing L1 team. Coaching substandard.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I've always thought the idea of an England DNA is ridiculous. Different players are playing for different clubs with different managers playing different systems. Everton don't play the same way as Man City do they?
As inept as Southgate is the real issue is the English f.an and it has been for years. How Southgate has been allowed to lead us to 4 tournaments is beyond me, he should have been sacked after the Croatia wc defeat, all we've done since is wasted 6 years.
Looking forward to him leaving England and going to Man Utd so he can have a similar stultifying effect on them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Exactly. This whole tournament is 100% England, with the DNA passed down the generations. All the talk beforehand about being one of favourites, and how this is the 'best squad ever', and if we don't win it's because the manager's shit. (Ok, this time the manager really IS shit, and although he has been good for England and nearly re-programmed our DNA in earlier tournaments, but now his time has passed)

Fans, journalists, players, currently it's all going exactly as biologically programmed by our DNA. The expectation, then the realisation that other nations have good players too, and then the turgid 'stink the place out' performances. We just need to scrape through the group and then have the inevitable defeat at the hands of the first top nation we come up against and it's been a bog-standard tournament.
Yep, over hyped team, inept manager and unrealistic expectations.

I went to Sainsburys and did the bulky shopping (wine, cat litter, cheese and loo roll) instead of watching that predictable tosh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As inept as Southgate is the real issue is the English f.a and it has been for years. How Southgate has been allowed to lead us to 4 tournaments is beyond me, he should have been sacked after the Croatia wc defeat, all we've done since is wasted 6 years.
I can't agree with this. You know exactly how Italy are going to play when you watch them, same with Spain, same with Portugal, same with Germany. The way those nations play hasn't really changed down the years, it's just that their effectiveness is determined by their players.

The problem with England was that our DNA was always, erm, agricultural, and it hasn't been effective since 1966 - the world moved on and we didn't. Since then, we have struggled to find a winning playing style that the nation's top players have been comfortable with. SGE was probably the closest to finding it, but most people will contend he underachieved. I think Venables also got close.

But again, this is the fault of the FA - they have absolutely no long term plan. Chopping and changing from style to style isn't very clever and the last two English managers have been past their sell by dates when they were actually appointed. Hodgson was great at Fulham, average at Liverpool but his star had waned. Southgate hadn't even done much to get the England job.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
One of the reasons (the only one?) that I think GP could be good as England Manager, is that he would pick a style and then pick his squad to play it. The problem is that would mean binning established players and favourites. We would be utter dog shite for a long time while a new team, style becomes established. I honestly think it would be a good thing but we would need to write off at leat one WC or Euros as the team and set up adjusts to his style

I dont think the Media, Fans, FA would allow him the time to do it. It took two seasons here before it all started working, The powers that be wouldnt give the time Bloom gave him

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
One of the reasons (the only one?) that I think GP could be good as England Manager, is that he would pick a style and then pick his squad to play it. The problem is that would mean binning established players and favourites. We would be utter dog shite for a long time while a new team, style becomes established. I honestly think it would be a good thing but we would need to write off at leat one WC or Euros as the team and set up adjusts to his style

I dont think the Media, Fans, FA would allow him the time to do it. It took two seasons here before it all started working, The powers that be wouldnt give the time Bloom gave him
It doesn't need to take all that long. Sure, bit longer than with most managers maybe as a lot is required to play that football, but people ignore/forget/fail to understand that Potter had a weak squad to work with in his first two seasons. Thats not going to be the case with England.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can't agree with this. You know exactly how Italy are going to play when you watch them, same with Spain, same with Portugal, same with Germany. The way those nations play hasn't really changed down the years, it's just that their effectiveness is determined by their players.

The problem with England was that our DNA was always, erm, agricultural, and it hasn't been effective since 1966 - the world moved on and we didn't. Since then, we have struggled to find a winning playing style that the nation's top players have been comfortable with. SGE was probably the closest to finding it, but most people will contend he underachieved. I think Venables also got close.

But again, this is the fault of the FA - they have absolutely no long term plan. Chopping and changing from style to style isn't very clever and the last two English managers have been past their sell by dates when they were actually appointed. Hodgson was great at Fulham, average at Liverpool but his star had waned. Southgate hadn't even done much to get the England job.
That's very true. Also don't forget that Hodgson's chosen successor wasn't actually Southgate ...... it was Sam Allardyce. That tells you all you need to know about the mindset/DNA of the FA, 'agricultural' is probably being kind. Southgate has done an awful lot right for England, and I don't think Allardyce would have got close, but he was an accidental appointment.

Anyway, let's look on the bright side: at least we haven't peaked too early.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That's very true. Also don't forget that Hodgson's chosen successor wasn't actually Southgate ...... it was Sam Allardyce. That tells you all you need to know about the mindset/DNA of the FA, 'agricultural' is probably being kind. Southgate has done an awful lot right for England, and I don't think Allardyce would have got close, but he was an accidental appointment.

Anyway, let's look on the bright side: at least we haven't peaked too early.

Imagine if we actually have!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, over hyped team, inept manager and unrealistic expectations.

I went to Sainsburys and did the bulky shopping (wine, cat litter, cheese and loo roll) instead of watching that predictable tosh.
Since when has cheese been bulky?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Since when has cheese been bulky?
You know nothing Harry, shut it.
tayto-sharing-big-cheese.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here