Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do England Have a DNA ??

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
4-4-2. Hit Les

Can we not knock it?

Hit the wings and cross for the big man upfront, work off the second ball. Pace and power.

DNA is bollocks, good manager will take advantage of where they have quality on the pitch.

This team should be scoring for fun.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would it be so difficult to install a style of play and then pick a squad of players whose data best suits that style ?

Might mean a few surprise inclusions in the squad at the expense of some - but if the data says they are better in that position and suited to that style then so be it.

For far too long players have been picked on reputation not on how they would fit in a style of play.
Or maybe just try and work out a way to maximise potential? Play 4-1-4-1 perhaps - Rice to protect the back four (he's good enough to do that on his own) qith Foden and Bellingham as ACMs behind the main striker (Kane - or Watkins if Kane keeps insisting on jogging around in midfield). Build the rest of the team round that - Saka on the right, Gordon or Eze on the left, whatever. Pick the best back four, and go for it - ramp up the pressure after scoring, and don't try to defend a 1-0 lead.

Simples.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Danny Murphy and Joe Hart analysis coming up on BBC2 now.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
That was as close to a Chris Hughton performance I’ve seen in a long time get a goal and defend. I’m probably doing Hughton a disservice as he didn’t have those players to hand.

As for DNA Bottlejobs. Although I’m not pointing the finger at the players the management is truely woeful.
I mean that’s absolutely right
Totally the same 🤦🏻‍♂️
CH had the best players in the World in the Championship and for the first two years in the Premier League
Not
One big difference - CH won things - Southgate never has and never will
Southgate would never had got the players we had promoted in the first place. We would have struggled to avoid relegation to League One

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Against good opposition, Arsenal do not play Rice as a sole DM/pivot. Jorginho and Rice both sit deep to stifle threats.
That's the kind of player we're missing. Someone like jorginho, or a level up a kroos or modicum or pirlo. Someone that can control and dictate the pace of the game.

England rarely produce them, we generally produce all action box to box midfielders.

I guess the closest we've come in the last 20 years is Carrick.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We've had the same DNA since I remember: pluck enough results out of utter turgid performances to qualify for knockout; fail when up against anyone decent. It's in our DNA!
Exactly. This whole tournament is 100% England, with the DNA passed down the generations. All the talk beforehand about being one of favourites, and how this is the 'best squad ever', and if we don't win it's because the manager's shit. (Ok, this time the manager really IS shit, and although he has been good for England and nearly re-programmed our DNA in earlier tournaments, but now his time has passed)

Fans, journalists, players, currently it's all going exactly as biologically programmed by our DNA. The expectation, then the realisation that other nations have good players too, and then the turgid 'stink the place out' performances. We just need to scrape through the group and then have the inevitable defeat at the hands of the first top nation we come up against and it's been a bog-standard tournament.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly. This whole tournament is 100% England, with the DNA passed down the generations. All the talk beforehand about being one of favourites, and how this is the 'best squad ever', and if we don't win it's because the manager's shit. (Ok, this time the manager really IS shit, and although he has been good for England and nearly re-programmed our DNA in earlier tournaments, but now his time has passed)

Fans, journalists, players, currently it's all going exactly as biologically programmed by our DNA. The expectation, then the realisation that other nations have good players too, and then the turgid 'stink the place out' performances. We just need to scrape through the group and then have the inevitable defeat at the hands of the first top nation we come up against and it's been a bog-standard tournament.
“the realisation that other nations have good players too”

You raise a really good point here. The way people go on about Bellingham, Foden, the current crop etc it’s as though no other nation has any good players. Players who, to quote a poster from yesterday, “come from the biggest clubs in world football” is not unique to England. France, Spain, Germany, plus many other seemingly smaller nations, all have similar.

The key is to get them playing as a team….which is what England always struggle with.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Let’s all remember that Southgate walked into this job by mistake. He was in the right place at the right time. Since then, at every tournament, he’s got lucky. As a result his achievements mask the reality that he is not a good football coach or manager.

He’s a great face of management, which is what half this job seems to be, but when it comes to football intelligence, he doesn’t have enough.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Who knows what is hiding underneath all that fear and angst?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That's the kind of player we're missing. Someone like jorginho, or a level up a kroos or modicum or pirlo. Someone that can control and dictate the pace of the game.

England rarely produce them, we generally produce all action box to box midfielders.

I guess the closest we've come in the last 20 years is Carrick.

This is exactly what I've been saying for years. Rice can't do it. Clearly, TAA is far from capable. Can Wharton or Mainoo be that player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here