Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
... sort of like the Premier League and EFL then?

Nothing like it.

Those tournaments restarted at the time of Novax's tournament but the football ones were conducted in the strict bubbles of Operation Restart and with no fans at all.

His was...................less disciplined.

Since then vaccines have become widely available and, well, here we are at this story. Premier League and EFL footballers seem similarly arrogant when it comes to vaccine take up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well generally speaking it is quite difficult for us who are not vaccinated to travel the world currently and for the last few years. Problem is that a lot of vaccinated people think that their Big Pharma Gods have made them immortal and immune so they think its a good idea to go on a sunny vacation during a pandemic, which is a more thick idea than any of the most thickest ideas in the antivaxx "community". No one should be travelling abroad if we want the pandemic to stop.

I have some sympathy for this argument. International travel is spreading new and potentially dangerous variants. People don’t want to hear it though because their fortnight on the beach in Majorca is all that matters to them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
... sort of like the Premier League and EFL then?

Nothing like it.

It wasn’t just the Premier League and EFL that restated though, many leagues did. They put protocols in place to try and reduce as much risk as possible. Something that didn’t happen at all by all accounts in this tennis tournament, like allowing spectators in Serbia and not enforcing social distancing rules either in the crowds or the dressing rooms.

Another tennis tournament took place at the same time in France without incident because proper protocols were put in place to reduce the risks involved.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Only sensible or every new strain will spread globally and this could potentially carry on for eternity. If I was the World Dictator I'd ban all non-essential travel for five years.

I have some sympathy for this argument. International travel is spreading new and potentially dangerous variants. People don’t want to hear it though because their fortnight on the beach in Majorca is all that matters to them.

Define "non-essential".

At a micro, personal level my father lives in France and is in his late 70s. I'd sure want to be able to go out there if something happened to him in the next five years.

At a macro level no doubt there will be other big world conferences such as G20 etc. Should they be in person? What might be essential to Boris and his entourage might not seem so to the common man.

Besides, given Schengen and some of the border crossings in the Third World it's literally unenforceable.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Rumours that Djokovic had Covid-19 in December although the sauce was BBC Breakfast.

If so, he has been incredibly naìve. Almost to the point of outrageously crazy. :facepalm:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Rumours that Djokovic had Covid-19 in December although the sauce was BBC Breakfast.

If so, he has been incredibly naìve. Almost to the point of outrageously crazy. :facepalm:

Apparently his lawyers are arguing this is what makes him medically exempt. The Australians have already sent Czech player Renata Voracova home as her claim for medical exemption due to a recent positive test was deemed insufficient. Although strangely she was originally allowed into the country and took part in a warm up event before her visa was cancelled.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Define "non-essential".

At a micro, personal level my father lives in France and is in his late 70s. I'd sure want to be able to go out there if something happened to him in the next five years.

At a macro level no doubt there will be other big world conferences such as G20 etc. Should they be in person? What might be essential to Boris and his entourage might not seem so to the common man.

Besides, given Schengen and some of the border crossings in the Third World it's literally unenforceable.

All good points. If I were leader of the world I would allow personal travel such as yours and disallow business travel as the latter can happen online. That would sharply reduce the amount of journeys which is also good for the environment. Maybe I should be in charge as I seem to have solved Covid and Climate change in two sentences. Back in the real world I think we just need to rigorously enforce existing vaccine passport rules. My post that you quoted was more in understanding of the gist of Swansman’s point that there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in all of this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Apparently his lawyers are arguing this is what makes him medically exempt. The Australians have already sent Czech player Renata Voracova home as her claim for medical exemption due to a recent positive test was deemed insufficient. Although strangely she was originally allowed into the country and took part in a warm up event before her visa was cancelled.

Making it up as they go along

If that’s the case I expect him to be sent packing on Monday

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
All good points. If I were leader of the world I would allow personal travel such as yours and disallow business travel as the latter can happen online. That would sharply reduce the amount of journeys which is also good for the environment. Maybe I should be in charge as I seem to have solved Covid and Climate change in two sentences. Back in the real world I think we just need to rigorously enforce existing vaccine passport rules. My post that you quoted was more in understanding of the gist of Swansman’s point that there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in all of this.

Fair enough :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nothing like it.

It wasn’t just the Premier League and EFL that restated though, many leagues did. They put protocols in place to try and reduce as much risk as possible. Something that didn’t happen at all by all accounts in this tennis tournament, like allowing spectators in Serbia and not enforcing social distancing rules either in the crowds or the dressing rooms.

Another tennis tournament took place at the same time in France without incident because proper protocols were put in place to reduce the risks involved.

Both were gambles. No one knew how Project Restart or whatever the name was would work out, there was a lot of worried players, a lot of uncertainty. Yes it worked out and the odds were better than for some rebellious Serbian tennis tournament, but both were nevertheless gambles.

Define "non-essential".

I'd consider both of those non-essential.

In the first case that would obviously be terrible and similar to the hundreds of thousands of personal tragedies that happened during various lockdowns but if five years of personal tragedies of that sort could give the world 50 years without tragedies of that sort, then it should be considered, again similar to how lockdowns worked; take one for now to prevent more/future ones.

In the second case... well, they can sit on zoom and fail to make decisions rather than meet up and do it. No great loss.

Essential in my definition would be things such as food transports etc. A lot of countries are pretty ****ing far from self-sustainable when it comes to that.

Its not a pretty solution, very draconic but if we're going to break this cycle it may be what is needed. The current thing were people get a few jabs, think its all clear to go on a vacation to nowhere and pick up a strain - which in the case of vaccinated would most likely be one where vaccines have limited protection - and then the whole thing starts over again... not sustainable. Sure, the vaccine fundamentalists might think "hey whats the problem? Just get a new jab every three months?" but governments borrow money to buy these vaccines and unless three or four future generations are going to live in poor conditions with austerity and minimal welfare, it just cant go on.

Edit: I'd be open to other end game solutions as well but this eternal "just one more needle" shit... it needs to end.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The application says he received a document from the Department of Home Affairs on 1 January telling him he met the requirements for quarantine-free travel into Australia.
Djokovic's lawyers said he received an exemption certificate from Tennis Australia, which was "provided by an Independent Expert Medical Review panel" whose decision was endorsed by the Victorian state government's own medical exemptions panel.
Reports say Tennis Australia told unvaccinated players they may be able to obtain a temporary exemption if they had recovered from COVID in the past six months, according to a leaked letter.

What did he present though?

Seems like he went through the process with Tennis Australia/Victoria - if you had done that you would assume it’s all linked up?

Whether he is let in or deported and regardless of whether that's right or wrong, since when do Tennis Federations control international borders? Yes, he may have had paperwork from both organisations (state and national) telling him he could come into the country, but, at the end of the day, that is not their decision to make and only an idiot would assume that a letter from a Tennis Club trump's the correct documentation required by the Government.

My suspicions are that all the documents he has have sufficient caveats in them to land him without a leg to stand on come monday, which seems to be why his lawyers are focussing on procedural issues rather than actual facts.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Whether he is let in or deported and regardless of whether that's right or wrong, since when do Tennis Federations control international borders? Yes, he may have had paperwork from both organisations (state and national) telling him he could come into the country, but, at the end of the day, that is not their decision to make and only an idiot would assume that a letter from a Tennis Club trump's the correct documentation required by the Government.

My suspicions are that all the documents he has have sufficient caveats in them to land him without a leg to stand on come monday, which seems to be why his lawyers are focussing on procedural issues rather than actual facts.

Without having seen every document, TA appear to have said something along the lines of 'subject to border force agreement' in every communication they've sent to players.

The ensuing lolz now is that Djokovic attended numerous public events and ceremonies in the days after he reckons he tested positive without even wearing a mask. Going to be a bit hard to argue with that, given that he seems to have taken every opportunity to pose for photos at them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Edit: I'd be open to other end game solutions as well but this eternal "just one more needle" shit... it needs to end.

In Britain the flu (influenza) is given every Autumn. It’s free to vulnerable people, £8 to others. Annually because flu is a killer, and mutates every year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Without having seen every document, TA appear to have said something along the lines of 'subject to border force agreement' in every communication they've sent to players.

The ensuing lolz now is that Djokovic attended numerous public events and ceremonies in the days after he reckons he tested positive without even wearing a mask. Going to be a bit hard to argue with that, given that he seems to have taken every opportunity to pose for photos at them.
If he knew he had Covid and then attended events without a mask he is utter scum.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If he knew he had Covid and then attended events without a mask he is utter scum.

My guess is he didn't actually have covid but thought, or was advised, to use that as an excuse to get out of the vaccine requirement. However, it would appear he was either too dumb to avoid posting contradictory evidence or to dumb to think others wouldn't post it!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My guess is he didn't actually have covid but thought, or was advised, to use that as an excuse to get out of the vaccine requirement. However, it would appear he was either too dumb to avoid posting contradictory evidence or to dumb to think others wouldn't post it!
Dumb and dumber.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In Britain the flu (influenza) is given every Autumn. It’s free to vulnerable people, £8 to others. Annually because flu is a killer, and mutates every year.

Same over here, with very dubious efficency. And if 100% of the population were expected to take a flu jab every 3-4 months that would be equally unsustainable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Same over here, with very dubious efficency. And if 100% of the population were expected to take a flu jab every 3-4 months that would be equally unsustainable.

I’m fairly sure the covid vaccine will improve to be annually and probably mixed with the flu jab.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Digging himself into an ever-deeper hole on this one. If it turns out to be true that he's been running around without a mask while knowingly having tested positive for covid then the Aussie Open might turn out to be the least of his problems

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here