Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Aus has a rule saying no vax no entry ( sensible one imo but other rules and opinions are available, along the same lines as believing in mythical people in the sky)

Djokovic is an anti vaxer.

So a simple one line letter along the lines of

Dear Djoko

Rack off

Aus.

Why is it such a big deal? As someone said many posts ago ( can't find to quote). Being an idiot is fine, but thinking you can be above everyone else because you're rich/famous or good at playing with balls is no excuse.

Indeed, why is it such a big deal if he plays or not?

I remember how furious absolutely no one was last season when Premier League kept going despite lockdown due to people being good at playing with balls.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Indeed, why is it such a big deal if he plays or not?

I remember how furious absolutely no one was last season when Premier League kept going despite lockdown due to people being good at playing with balls.

You are comparing restrictions and reactions in England to Australia when the two are not comparable. I don’t imagine most people in England give a shit one way or another but it is a leading news story over here so is going to attract comment. As you can see from some of the posts from those based in Australia there have been some very tough restrictions for some time now and a overseas tennis player being given freedoms and exceptions they have not granted their citizens would cause a furious reaction.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
You are comparing restrictions and reactions in England to Australia when the two are not comparable. I don’t imagine most people in England give a shit one way or another but it is a leading news story over here so is going to attract comment. As you can see from some of the posts from those based in Australia there have been some very tough restrictions for some time now and a overseas tennis player being given freedoms and exceptions they have not granted their citizens would cause a furious reaction.

Agreed . All anti vaxxers should not be allowed to travel the world.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
make your mind up ....they weren't all mates , 2 of them were and one in particular was like a brother to me , fit as a fiddle although a heavy smoker he walked long walks with his dog every day and ate very well. These deaths took place in the early days when AZ became available but the clotting issues were not made public ........go figure that numerous politicians had recently loaded up on the shares, i took the pfizer jabs and having done my research if i am forced to have a booster to keep working , having a social life in pubs and restaurants and being allowed in shopping centres then i will probably take the Moderna as according to Harvard the Pfizer Pfizer Moderna sequence offers 0ver 90% efficacy ......if it does or not i have no idea .......you can't moan about bed blockers and then have a dig at me for voicing my opinions , thats a tad hypocritical don't you think..?

I was being a little sarcastic, sorry.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed . All anti vaxxers should not be allowed to travel the world.

Well generally speaking it is quite difficult for us who are not vaccinated to travel the world currently and for the last few years. Problem is that a lot of vaccinated people think that their Big Pharma Gods have made them immortal and immune so they think its a good idea to go on a sunny vacation during a pandemic, which is a more thick idea than any of the most thickest ideas in the antivaxx "community". No one should be travelling abroad if we want the pandemic to stop.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Well generally speaking it is quite difficult for us who are not vaccinated to travel the world currently and for the last few years. Problem is that a lot of vaccinated people think that their Big Pharma Gods have made them immortal and immune so they think its a good idea to go on a sunny vacation during a pandemic, which is a more thick idea than any of the most thickest ideas in the antivaxx "community". No one should be travelling abroad if we want the pandemic to stop.

Jesus wept.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It doesn’t seem like he’s done much wrong here.

Looks like he was given the OK as he recently had it.

This seems political.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
That was always the case, the problem is, he obtained the permission to enter the state of Victoria from the state of Victoria and permission to participate in the Open from the LTA.

The issue is between the federal government and the state of Victoria, who has ultimate power in deciding who enters Victoria state? If it’s the federal government, the Serb would need to be fully vaccinated so the fact he had Covid-19 in the last 6 months would not be relevant.

I feel sympathy for the Serb as he was apparently given a visa by the state of Victoria to travel into their state due to him being infected with Covid-19 in the last 6 months. Who is in charge in that Country? Bonkers!

So long, Portslade dreams...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Didn't Djokovic cause outrage last summer when he 'organised' a tennis tournament in Serbia which resulted in numerous covid infections OR am I wrong ?

That, in itself, demonstrates a complete disregard !

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It doesn’t seem like he’s done much wrong here.

Looks like he was given the OK as he recently had it.

This seems political.

Not at all. Seems he completed the online visa application but couldn’t back it up when asked for supporting documentation on arrival. This happens to some poorer person every single day according to that Border Force documentary. The tennis player is rich though so is trying to buy his way out of it. A fair amount of the blame should also be apportioned to Tennis Australia who appear to be trying to make up border rules of their own.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
make your mind up ....they weren't all mates , 2 of them were and one in particular was like a brother to me , fit as a fiddle although a heavy smoker he walked long walks with his dog every day and ate very well. These deaths took place in the early days when AZ became available but the clotting issues were not made public ........go figure that numerous politicians had recently loaded up on the shares, i took the pfizer jabs and having done my research if i am forced to have a booster to keep working , having a social life in pubs and restaurants and being allowed in shopping centres then i will probably take the Moderna as according to Harvard the Pfizer Pfizer Moderna sequence offers 0ver 90% efficacy ......if it does or not i have no idea .......you can't moan about bed blockers and then have a dig at me for voicing my opinions , thats a tad hypocritical don't you think..?

FWIW, I was informed by a couple of medics that it’s highly likely that if you had clotting with the AZ vaccine then you would have had a similar experience with Covid itself, also if you hadn’t been vaccinated you would have hit the ICU if you caught covid. The view as that with AZ and understanding the symptoms the. You would have a much better chance than not being vaccinated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not at all. Seems he completed the online visa application but couldn’t back it up when asked for supporting documentation on arrival. This happens to some poorer person every single day according to that Border Force documentary. The tennis player is rich though so is trying to buy his way out of it. A fair amount of the blame should also be apportioned to Tennis Australia who appear to be trying to make up border rules of their own.

The application says he received a document from the Department of Home Affairs on 1 January telling him he met the requirements for quarantine-free travel into Australia.
Djokovic's lawyers said he received an exemption certificate from Tennis Australia, which was "provided by an Independent Expert Medical Review panel" whose decision was endorsed by the Victorian state government's own medical exemptions panel.
Reports say Tennis Australia told unvaccinated players they may be able to obtain a temporary exemption if they had recovered from COVID in the past six months, according to a leaked letter.

What did he present though?

Seems like he went through the process with Tennis Australia/Victoria - if you had done that you would assume it’s all linked up?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only sensible or every new strain will spread globally and this could potentially carry on for eternity. If I was the World Dictator I'd ban all non-essential travel for five years.

Keep away from Portslade then.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Such a non story. The LTA and Victoria state may give exemption for someone already in Australia but this doesn't override the border controls of entering the country. The LTA and Victoria State knew this (apparently they were reminded in writing beforehand) and I'm damn sure Novak and his crew knew this awell.

Seems to me that LTA and Victoria State didn't want to be the bad guys having to tell superdooperstar tennis player "NO!" and Novak and his crew are so bigheaded they thought they could just override the rules for mere mortals and are just not used to someone saying "NO!".

If it doesn't end up that he is deported then Australia will be more than a laughing stock.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Didn't Djokovic cause outrage last summer when he 'organised' a tennis tournament in Serbia which resulted in numerous covid infections OR am I wrong ?

That, in itself, demonstrates a complete disregard !

That happened summer 2020, was meant to take place across various Balkan nations. The first leg in Serbia was criticised for packing fans into the stadium with little regard for social distancing. The second leg in Croatia was abandoned after a player tested positive, this was followed by more positive tests among players, their partners and coaches which led to the whole tournament being cancelled.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The application says he received a document from the Department of Home Affairs on 1 January telling him he met the requirements for quarantine-free travel into Australia.
Djokovic's lawyers said he received an exemption certificate from Tennis Australia, which was "provided by an Independent Expert Medical Review panel" whose decision was endorsed by the Victorian state government's own medical exemptions panel.
Reports say Tennis Australia told unvaccinated players they may be able to obtain a temporary exemption if they had recovered from COVID in the past six months, according to a leaked letter.

What did he present though?

Seems like he went through the process with Tennis Australia/Victoria - if you had done that you would assume it’s all linked up?

But Tennis Australia don’t set border rules. Also, what proof of his infection did these ‘independent’ panels have sight of ? If he did provide it then why didn’t he have it with him upon arrival in Oz ? The Deputy PM has said that previous Covid infection does not give exemption from vaccine requirements anyway. I guess we find out the truth on Monday.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
That happened summer 2020, was meant to take place across various Balkan nations. The first leg in Serbia was criticised for packing fans into the stadium with little regard for social distancing. The second leg in Croatia was abandoned after a player tested positive, this was followed by more positive tests among players, their partners and coaches which led to the whole tournament being cancelled.

Thanks for that, I was sure there was something of the sort !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here