Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DIY help sought

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would it not be beneficial to move them down 2-3 inches to give yourself a better chance of getting a good bite? Then, in theory, the brackets will cover the old holes. Make sure you use at least a 2"x8 screw with red plugs (preferable a 2"x10 with brown plugs).

What does the colour of plug mean? Does the colour just indicate a size?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
my initial thoughts are take the shelves off, take off the brackets that have pulled loose, remove the plugs that have pulled, puff out any loose material, fill the holes with anchor resin, put in new rawlplugs, wipe off excess resin, run a bead of gripfill (non solvent) down the back of the brackets, replace the brackets and screw in, wipe off any excess resin/ gripfill that's been squeezed out, lean something against the brackets (the sheves perhaps) to keep them in place whist the resin & gripfill cures (this will be dependent on the specification of the anchor resin)

put the shelves back on

Should work.

cost: circa £10.

They sound like the biz to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd go for the resin option.

If not, fill the holes and drill new holes as far away as poss. And if you're drilling into masonry, perhaps use those metal rawl plugs you can buy that actually screw into the wall, and then you screw your screws into those.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would use the same holes but drill them to take longer/larger plugs, or just try new larger plugs. should be able to find a same diameter screw that will be longer. if you start from scratch the drill used is important , low power/low RPM dont have the kahunas to do a decent job on concreate or some times regular brick. the hole size is an issue either way, the rawl plug must be a snug to tight fit (lightly hammer in if necessary).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How about iBrackets ?

They cost three times as much as a standard bracket, but next time they fall off you can definitely blame the wall.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
What does the colour of plug mean? Does the colour just indicate a size?

Size of drill bit required

Yellow 5mm
Red 6mm
Brown 7mm

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
my initial thoughts are take the shelves off, take off the brackets that have pulled loose, remove the plugs that have pulled, puff out any loose material, fill the holes with anchor resin, put in new rawlplugs, wipe off excess resin, run a bead of gripfill (non solvent) down the back of the brackets, replace the brackets and screw in, wipe off any excess resin/ gripfill that's been squeezed out, lean something against the brackets (the sheves perhaps) to keep them in place whist the resin & gripfill cures (this will be dependent on the specification of the anchor resin)

put the shelves back on

Should work.

cost: circa £10.

This sounds very professional indeed and, more importantly, doesn't involve any drilling.

I am going to the big DIY shop now with this as my shopping list.

You could either be an NSC legend or an ex-NSCer sometime very soon.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Move the brackets down or up and drill new holes , you oly have to move them 25mm. This is the best and only way for a non DIY man to make it work .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here