Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DIY help sought

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How about iBrackets ?

They cost three times as much as a standard bracket, but next time they fall off you can definitely blame the wall.

Wait until March , there is a new iBracket being released.

Jul 20, 2003
problems with drilling new holes

1) (if it's masonry behind) you' going to need to buy a new drill bit (even if you have loads you won't be able to find the bastards anywhere)
2) you need a good drill to go with it
3) you may well blow a fair bit of plaster off when you drill and/or fire a crack through the plaster
4) if the drill and bit aren't of sufficient quality and/ or you don't have the speed setting appropriate the drill can kick about and the holes won't be perpendicular to the shelf
5) dust everywhere

I say glue and screw the fucker ..... non styrene anchor should be sufficient .... I've put up kitchen wall units into bungaroosh using that shit and to my knowledge they're still up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I couldn't find any anchor resin but I did buy a very small, yet very expensive, pack of some Polyfilla stuff that you push into holes and it sets. It looks like blue plasticine. It reckons you don't need wallplugs with it but I'm going to be crazy and use some.

I figure if I push this stuff into the existing holes and, before it sets, push the rawlplugs in and leave it to set I will have more chance when I put the screws in. I've also bought some of that Evostick stuff that I'll put on the brackets as well. I'm must admit I'm not sure what extra strength this will give me, since I'd have thought the shape of the brackets mean the bracket is being forced against the wall by the weight of the shelf and the stuff on the shelf. But, even if it improves my chances by 0.01% then I'm going to use it.

What's the worst that can happen?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I couldn't find any anchor resin but I did buy a very small, yet very expensive, pack of some Polyfilla stuff that you push into holes and it sets. It looks like blue plasticine. It reckons you don't need wallplugs with it but I'm going to be crazy and use some.

I figure if I push this stuff into the existing holes and, before it sets, push the rawlplugs in and leave it to set I will have more chance when I put the screws in. I've also bought some of that Evostick stuff that I'll put on the brackets as well. I'm must admit I'm not sure what extra strength this will give me, since I'd have thought the shape of the brackets mean the bracket is being forced against the wall by the weight of the shelf and the stuff on the shelf. But, even if it improves my chances by 0.01% then I'm going to use it.

I bet the sales guy loved you with all that easy commission!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

It could fall down again.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I hate brackets. Floating shelves are cool!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I'd certainly suggest resin too. Resin 4 bolts for my shotgun cabinet into my wall because the anchor bolts kept spinning in the brickwork (soft bricks!!), and they took the weight of the cabinet and the firearms licensing bloke dangling off it easily.

Doesn't matter if you're moving house, I doubt you'd take the shelves with you, and if the new owners want to take them down, thats their problem by then :wave:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I hate brackets. Floating shelves are cool!

My experience of floating shelves is they don't take much weight.

Additionally to put them in now would require lots of filling and painting and I covered that in post 1!

I'd certainly suggest resin too. Resin 4 bolts for my shotgun cabinet into my wall because the anchor bolts kept spinning in the brickwork (soft bricks!!), and they took the weight of the cabinet and the firearms licensing bloke dangling off it easily.

Doesn't matter if you're moving house, I doubt you'd take the shelves with you, and if the new owners want to take them down, thats their problem by then :wave:

I'm all for this resin stuff if it will do the job - where do I get it from?

(Agreed - the shelves will stay where they are when we move and I have no issue with them being a pain to remove after that time.)

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Is drilling into metal actually possible?

Sounds very difficult and probably dangerous too.

Piece of Piss if you use a Pillar Drill, you already have the existing holes as pilot holes, just make sure your bit is nice and sharp, you use plenty of coolant on the brackets to keep the bit cool ( otherwise it will weld itself to the bracket and break off ), and drill small depths at a time.

However you will WEAKEN the brackets doing this so it's not really a solution. Next time the brackets will snap at the hole as it is a stress concentration. Cast Iron is piss poor strength wise, so you would be better replacing the brackets with steel ones, ideally wider and deeper than the existing brackets. Or just make sure you don't load so many books on each shelf.

Why don't you weigh the books on the shelf, work out the forces and the shear load on the brackets / bolts to check all the stresses are below the yield stress of the material.

Remember that the bigger the hole, the smaller the shear stress area, and the higher the stress.

Better still, give up and use a free standing bookcase. That way all the load is taken through the structure of the bookcase, you just have to secure the bookcase to the wall to prevent it tipping forward.

If you really want strong Anchors I'd recommend you check out Hilti Online and use their Anchor Design Selector.

Hilti Online - Anchor Design Centre

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Try

Vinylester Injection Resin 150ml - Fixings & Fixers - Bolts & Fixings -Tools, Electrical & Plumbing - Wickes

Same stuff a little cheaper -

No Nonsense Polyester Styrene-Free Resin 175ml Screwfix.com

You need to squirt this in then push the wall plug into the resin and wait for it to harden. I used this for a door liner into thermalite blocks at the block kept crumbling with just the wall plug. I can hang off of the bolts once it set (13 stone). Your screws won't come out again.

This is the solution. I have also had success filling the crumbly holes with pu glue first or the bodgers favourite - gripfill.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012

(Agreed - the shelves will stay where they are when we move and I have no issue with them being a pain to remove after that time.)[/QUOTE]

Builders merchants will be a lot cheaper than a DIY store

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
My experience of floating shelves is they don't take much weight.

Additionally to put them in now would require lots of filling and painting and I covered that in post 1!

(Agreed - the shelves will stay where they are when we move and I have no issue with them being a pain to remove after that time.)

As others have mentioned, Screwfix are probably best for the resin (and bolts if need be). Online if you are not near one.

Jul 20, 2003
I've still got 25L of Aquaseal in the garage that'll sort this, and I'll throw in a free brush. Luvveeerrrrllllly stuff.

I mistook Aquaseal for Aquafresh once ...... hilarious consequences ensued.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'm learning so MUCH from this thread, I'm almost taking notes. Almost. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here