Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Divided Supporters

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Is this a modern thing, or has it existed for years?

McGhee In/Outers
Henderson backers/Kuipers lovers
Those who back the board and don't

I can't remember fans being divided before in my 6 years or so supporting the club, so why is it happening so much now?

Edit: Please note, i am not talking about fans on the INTERNET, i am talking about those AT MATCHES

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
chez said:
I mentioned this the other week. Ive been watching The Albion since 1982 and Ive never known such disharmony between the fans. :nono:

Maybe that indicates just how discontented some are!
A bloke near me was close to punching the person next to him who dared suggest that Henderson was not at fault for the goal. They were at each others throats for a good few minutes.
:nono:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Happy for Wilkins
Want the best keeper
Want the investor with the long the club aims

So wheres the fence

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's exactly what Lewes want.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Withdean Wanderer said:
Is this a modern thing, or has it existed for years?

McGhee In/Outers
Henderson backers/Kuipers lovers
Those who back the board and don't

I can't remember fans being divided before in my 6 years or so supporting the club, so why is it happening so much now?

It's called the internet!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Withdean Wanderer said:
Maybe that indicates just how discontented some are!
A bloke near me was close to punching the person next to him who dared suggest that Henderson was not at fault for the goal. They were at each others throats for a good few minutes.
:nono:

that was quite shocking that them 2 blokes almost almost started on each other.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Re: Re: Divided Supporters

British Bulldog said:

So NSC is part of the reason why fans at the game are arguing over our goalkeeper situation? Bit of an exagguration, but i suppose the disagreements are emphasised and revealed more on the web.

But i've been on a form of NSC since about 2001, and don't recall there being much, if any division between the fans. Even when we were on the 12 game losing streak.

???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Withdean Wanderer said:
I think they are used as a scapegoat a bit too often these days.

Why? They are the cause of us still being at Withdean. We got planning permission in 2002. We would have been in Falmer stadium by now and with investment to buy decent players.
Maybe there would still be disagreements about which player is better in which position but we wouldn't be in such dire straights as we are now.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Yorkie said:
Why? They are the cause of us still being at Withdean. We got planning permission in 2002. We would have been in Falmer stadium by now and with investment to buy decent players.
Maybe there would still be disagreements about which player is better in which position but we wouldn't be in such dire straights as we are now.

or we would have had a stadium, been more skint than we are now, and been getting 5000 fans into a 22000 stadium.

you cant blame everything on the stadium you know.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I just reckon it is that we are battle weary. We had become so used to fighting to save our club, having done so for so long, now that the real decision is completely out of our hands and we can't do anything about it we have turned on ourselves. There will always be disagreement in general terms about team selection and who we should or shouldn't buy/have bought, but I can't honestly remember it being this bad.

Hopefully the green light for Falmer will come soon, then we can go back to normal.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yorkie said:
I agree with that, but i don't think everything can be blamed on them.

Fans would be content (well, only just) at Withdean with a winning team, with SOME money being spent on it. But now all we are told is that 'money is available'. However, it's never spent. Players used to come, but don't any more. Why is that? I'm not sure, but often at this point you'd see a 'McGhee destroyed the clubs reputation' debate - something Lewes Council can't be blamed for.

The players have come before, and now Withdean is apparently 'better', it shouldn't be an excuse. There's only so much blame Lewes can recieve if the money really is there to be spent.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Divided Supporters

Withdean Wanderer said:
So NSC is part of the reason why fans at the game are arguing over our goalkeeper situation? Bit of an exagguration, but i suppose the disagreements are emphasised and revealed more on the web.

But i've been on a form of NSC since about 2001, and don't recall there being much, if any division between the fans. Even when we were on the 12 game losing streak.

???

Take yourself back to 6 or so years ago when you started supporting the Albion, There was a sort of NSC and other forums but nothing like there is these days with more and more people becoming internet wise. Then lets add to that things like the SCR phone in! Ok Harty has been a great fan of the Albion but there's nothing he likes better than to get on there and stir the shit among fans because it keeps his wages coming in from the BBC.

Supporting the Albion used to be about going to games and debating things in the pub afterwards, but times have moved on and now people can sit in the comfort of their own homes and become experts on all things Albion.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Withdean Wanderer said:
I agree with that, but i don't think everything can be blamed on them.

Fans would be content (well, only just) at Withdean with a winning team, with SOME money being spent on it. But now all we are told is that 'money is available'. However, it's never spent. Players used to come, but don't any more. Why is that? I'm not sure, but often at this point you'd see a 'McGhee destroyed the clubs reputation' debate - something Lewes Council can't be blamed for.

The players have come before, and now Withdean is apparently 'better', it shouldn't be an excuse. There's only so much blame Lewes can recieve if the money really is there to be spent.

Over 3 million quid has been spent on the legal fees in the last 4 years. What do you think we could have done with that instead?

Re: Re: Divided Supporters

British Bulldog said:

Spot on. The idea that "it's just a messageboard" is bullshit, much of the bad things that start on here tend to spread out these days into the wider fan base.

Take the "McGhee is a racist" (so-called) joke that a few anti-McGhee'ers had some fun with to pass the time on here. Within a month I saw that comment at one of our away games start a fight among our fans :nono:

But I don't think the internet is mainly to blame, it just allows discontent and disagreement to spread quicker and in a more unhelpful way. The discontent has to be there to start with.

And for me, the source of that discontent is over-expectation among Brighton fans, and specifically the back-to-back championships causing many Brighton fans to think that the great problems of the 1990s had been solved.

The last 3 or so years has been a reality check for many that nothing long-term has been solved. That we remain an impoverished club with no real future without a new ground. Many have not been able to cope with that reality and have saught refuge in hammering scapegoats to explain our problems. And that's when the rancour and the arguments starts, alas :(

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Re: Re: Re: Re: Divided Supporters

British Bulldog said:

Supporting the Albion used to be about going to games and debating things in the pub afterwards, but times have moved on and now people can sit in the comfort of their own homes and become experts on all things Albion.

I'm not saying that's not the case.

But what about the situation at the end of last season, as some abused McGhee from behind the dugout and some shouted them down.

Now you see fellow supporters arguing about squad selection and appropriate abuse of player levels! Now i appreciate that NSC might have made some sort of contribution, but it really shouldn't effect what goes on DURING the match, should it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here