Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Disappointing, Not Disastrous

boik

People keep quoting our possession statistics but possession doesnt win games as I am sure most are aware so really a nonsensical statistic with no relevance if you do not turn that into goals.

2 things.....if you have the ball the opponents can't score. Plus, possession based football is generally more entertaining than hoofball, and I for one prefer to be entertained rather than just suffer.

But yes, possession, without scoring, isn't the only thing that counts.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
One thing I haven’t seen anyone post on this site is just how good Chelsea were yesterday. I thought their pace and movement in the first half was outstanding.

As for us, it was the first game this season in which we haven’t played well but we’re Brighton away at Chelsea. It’s going to happen. We just need players back and we’ll continue to improve.

I think the totally out of proportion reaction by some is just a result of the fact our poor results have now been going on for 30 games and patience is running out. But over 3/4 of those were last season under a different manager so this manager/team really should have been given a clean slate in August. I naively assumed that would have been unanimously granted by fans.

I think the majority of people agree time is required. There is no sense that Potter should go. It is the opposite that I and others are pointing out: the naivety of assuming a new broom and a new style will 'work' straight out of the box, that all is fine because we sometimes get out of our own half. The reality is that the playing style has to be adjusted to, and, critically, have the quality of players that can make it work. You cant beat the stats and they make grim reading presently.

Potter has to struggle against injuries, and the legacy of the dreadful recruitment of 2018. It may take a couple of seasons to adjust, to move more of the deadwood recruited on; the second of those might be in the Championship. That's football; it's not negative, it is reality. And it might all change. A couple of good results, a full squad, a bit of luck. But let's not pretend it is all great presently. It isn't.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Good point I just expected a bit more after 3 seasons, we’ve only beaten the worst team in the league so far.

Me too, but still a long way to go until the end of the season. The thing is our football is a total sea change from our previous seasons in the PL. We all knew that hiring Potter was going to be a huge gamble and to be honest the style of play is a lot more entertaining. The downside is that we’re not getting the rub of the green with results and being hampered by injuries to key players has not helped either. Being positive I’m sure this will change for the better - a lucky, streaky win against Spurs would be a good start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 things.....if you have the ball the opponents can't score. Plus, possession based football is generally more entertaining than hoofball, and I for one prefer to be entertained rather than just suffer.

But yes, possession, without scoring, isn't the only thing that counts.

If you have the ball for 75% of the game but do nothing with it, it is the 25% that the opposition can and do do the damage. Yesterday we wre undone by a stupid penalty to give away and totally unnecessary.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I apologious for being very grouchy yesterday.

Hadn't eaten anything since Wednesday due to sickness so I wasn't feeling any better by the result but I think we might get something next week. They're struggling by their high standards.

Feeling much, much better after having some greasy bacon and getting rid of the dehydration twitches this morning. :thumbsup:

At 4am, with the torrential rain beating down, I was very lucky to be in a nice warm bed and not waiting for a rip-off taxi back home.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The only vague positive from yesterday is that it was only 2-0. Realistically Chelsea could have had 6 or 7. I know it may be perceived as negative but a minus 2 gol difference away to Chelsea when we created next to nothing is not such a disaster. Who knows, the fine margins of goal difference could come into play at the end of the season and at least we weren't completely put to the sword. Small mercies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
People keep quoting our possession statistics but possession doesnt win games as I am sure most are aware so really a nonsensical statistic with no relevance if you do not turn that into goals.

You're right btw. It may aid the strategy and tactics of a star studded team engrained to play e.g. ManC or Barcelona, but it's not a vital stat at our level. The best you can is that it prevents the opposition entirely controlling a match and deprives them of scoring opportunities.

CP for example have spent many seasons mugging teams on the counter, unbothered by possession stats.

I do prefer Potter-ball, but we need to learn to turn quick possession into goals, at the "transition" to use the modern expression. That's a very hard thing to enact in real PL matches.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
You’re wrong, only SOME on here have no patience. The rest are a mixture of eternal optimists, hopeful realists and ‘let’s see how it pans out’ pragmatists’. Vive la difference n’all that.

Correct! I have no patience, if we don't start rippling the onion bag I'm going to spit the dummy out and start chucking the toys all over the gaff....:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So did Huddersfield when they came up. And, um, where are those Yorkshire Terriers now . . . ?

Maybe Hudd didn't have a manager that made moves to keep them up. How did that happen for the Albion when Hudd was deemed so much better at the beginning of the season.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I am not saying we will, but it is possible that by then we will be needing proverbial snookers to stay up.

i know all about all of the possibilities;
so what is your cunning plan, to avoid the most catastrophic of possibilities?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sending out the recruitment team to find a coupe of good affordable snookers (and maybe a winger or two) in the Eredivisie?

..........and a left back, of course.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

1st scrap the 3 CBs and play 4-4-2
2nd As soon as possible play Trossard and March as wide men
3rd Start with GM and then substitute him when he tires
4th Get Duffy fit to go back to the CB pairing of Dunk and Duffy which was so good last year.
5th Accept that you dont have to play U23s unless they are the best option.

Finally TB look at the situation long before Christmas and make a decision.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
1st scrap the 3 CBs and play 4-4-2
2nd As soon as possible play Trossard and March as wide men
3rd Start with GM and then substitute him when he retires
4th Get Duffy fit to go back to the CB pairing of Dunk and Duffy which was so good last year.
5th Accept that you dont have to play U23s unless they are the best option.

Finally TB look at the situation long before Christmas and make a decision.

oh right; so in short, bring back chris you mean :ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr:

i'll stick with magic arry potter, thanks all the same; far more chance of staying up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here