Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Having read lord b's reply and others on this thread I'm raging with anger; not good just before bed so this is going to be my last post tonight! But I sense momentum here and if perry etc won't reply to us then lets see how they respond to investigational journalism from tomorrow. Falmer for all - except wheelchairs... Community stadium excludes disabled... Albion in discrimination probe...pick your headline Perry and Brown because you've got to stop ignoring these supporters. You try telling kids they can't now come to the Amex after you took their families money because their legs don't work like yours and mine. It's not that you're unaware. You simply don't care. So dont be surprised if life's about to get uncomfortable press wise. Christ, you'd think of all the clubs BHA would know it's fans don't take this sort of thing lying down! Can only think Brown was too busy making money with millwall whilst we fought for this clubs very survival. Someone send him a copy of BAB!

As things stand those that have registered/requested a disabled space are being sent an application form. I understand these were sent Monday. The form has to be returned by this Friday along with proof of care or mobility allowance. Spaces will then be allocated.
Good grief! If the Club are going along this route as the basis of determining an entitlement to a facility for disabled customers, they are skating on VERY thin ice, legally.

Who is advising them?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I wouldn't worry too much about it as the conservatives are gonna take them away from a lot of people who have been needlessly given one. The scary thing is people who cannot walk more than 100 yards are allowed to opporate vehicles at high speeds!

Sorry, this is my last post...you f***ing insensitive dickhead. No offense, like...

Good grief! If the Club are going along this route as the basis of determining an entitlement to a facility for disabled customers, they are skating on VERY thin ice, legally.

Who is advising them?

Maybe be the same person who advised them that the Racecourse P&R wouldn't require planning consent - assuming you believe this story of course?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I wouldn't worry too much about it as the conservatives are gonna take them away from a lot of people who have been needlessly given one. The scary thing is people who cannot walk more than 100 yards are allowed to opporate vehicles at high speeds!

Tosser. Scary thing is people like you are allowed on the internet.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The scary thing is people who cannot walk more than 100 yards are allowed to opporate vehicles at high speeds!

Thats got to be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen posted on here and it's had some serious competition, As others have said go away and come back when you know what your talking about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Who is advising them?

I have no idea who is advising the club. If I had to guess I'd say no one, or maybe Perkino?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's been said before on here that Blue Badges do not apply on private land - even if scammer private parking firms find them to be a useful cop-out way of identifying customers - they are not the be-all and end-all of compliance with the Equality Act.

Just a point LadySeagull, ?How can you identify someone from their disabled badge....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Wake up Perkino,haver you never heard of Automatic cars and adaptations,I know some disabled drivers who can handle a car better than some able drivers ps... Opporate...? oh got it,you mean operate!

The recommended number of disabled parking spaces (BS8300) at a stadium that offers 2000 parking spaces in total is more than 130.

But this issue isn't just about parking. It's about disabled access more generally.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Your ignorance is astounding, as shown in every post you have made in this thread. I hope you do not have to experience disability first hand, it sounds like you would not cope with it mate, less so if it was a loved one.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My mrs was hoping to get to a few games with me next season, I have st and she doesn't and with the "facilities" for disabled parking the only other option is her getting the train on her mobility scooter which I don't like the sound of match days tbh.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Who is advising them?

Why is the club on thin ice regarding the qualifying statement made that you quote?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because this entitlement is enshrined in law via the Disability Descrimination Act 1995 and the Equality and Disability Act 2010, which has now largely replaced/superceded the DDA.

But I thought from the previous statement that the club were seeking to ascertain the entitlement of the applicants? Maybe I'm missing something?

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Having read lord b's reply and others on this thread I'm raging with anger; not good just before bed so this is going to be my last post tonight! But I sense momentum here and if perry etc won't reply to us then lets see how they respond to investigational journalism from tomorrow. Falmer for all - except wheelchairs... Community stadium excludes disabled... Albion in discrimination probe...pick your headline Perry and Brown because you've got to stop ignoring these supporters. You try telling kids they can't now come to the Amex after you took their families money because their legs don't work like yours and mine. It's not that you're unaware. You simply don't care. So dont be surprised if life's about to get uncomfortable press wise. Christ, you'd think of all the clubs BHA would know it's fans don't take this sort of thing lying down! Can only think Brown was too busy making money with millwall whilst we fought for this clubs very survival. Someone send him a copy of BAB!

I look forward to reading the report.
I love the club but the way they are treating people is beyond belief and totally unacceptable.
They had the perfect opportunity with the stadium to build in disable friendly areas and not just stick them in a corner. This isn't the dark ages anymore ffs.

The recommended number of disabled parking spaces (BS8300) at a stadium that offers 2000 parking spaces in total is more than 130.

But this issue isn't just about parking. It's about disabled access more generally.

Agree entirely on both points Ed.

To an extent the number of disabled spaces being provided depends on the Club's and B&HCC's interpretation of BS8300; if the Amex was a recreation and leasure facility (eg a sports centre) with available parking of 2,004 then the minimum number required is 6% (120). The guidance for stadia is understandably non-specific because of the larger numbers of attendees and states "will need to be greater" (ie than 6%).
I guess if you apply the 2.6 passengers per vehicle figure that the Club has used for it's P&R and Univ of Sussex/Bennetts Field parking calculations (seems reasonable imo) and then equate that to the 2,004 spaces if Amex were a sports centre (ie 5,210 attendees) then that would have you needing 518 "disabled" spaces at the Amex as it is currently - ie Bennett's Field with the remaining 132 for 1910 members or whoever.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Agree entirely on both points Ed.

To an extent the number of disabled spaces being provided depends on the Club's and B&HCC's interpretation of BS8300; if the Amex was a recreation and leasure facility (eg a sports centre) with available parking of 2,004 then the minimum number required is 6% (120). The guidance for stadia is understandably non-specific because of the larger numbers of attendees and states "will need to be greater" (ie than 6%).
I guess if you apply the 2.6 passengers per vehicle figure that the Club has used for it's P&R and Univ of Sussex/Bennetts Field parking calculations (seems reasonable imo) and then equate that to the 2,004 spaces if Amex were a sports centre (ie 5,210 attendees) then that would have you needing 518 "disabled" spaces at the Amex as it is currently - ie Bennett's Field with the remaining 132 for 1910 members or whoever.

Not wishing to deny that the disabled parking situation has become a major source of needless frustration and anxiety for many people, I don't think the club would have much trouble legally in terms of the number of disabled parking spaces provided.

Firstly I think they'd argue that there is a distinction between the parking next to the stadium in Bennett's Field and the VIP car park when compared to the parking elsewhere, which I'd guess they would classify as "park and walk". In terms of the parking at the former there are 46 disabled spaces out of approx 770 (650 + 120) which (more than coincidentally I suspect) works out as 6%.

Secondly the Sussex University Campus has 134 disabled spaces. I appreciated we won't be using the whole campus on match days, but making the assumption (which admittedly is a leap of faith) that the majority of these disabled spaces will be aviable for football use, this comfortably exceeds 6%.

But I think the issue here for me is firstly that the club seem to just be interested in doing the minimum to comply with legislation. Why not go beyond this and aim to be the gold standard for disabled access at a football stadium?

Secondly the lack of information and confused messages from the club are clearly starting to cause a lot of frustration and anger amongst supporters for whom this issue is of relevance. I just can't see why all this could not have been addressed months ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here