Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking Petition, please sign

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Brighton & Hove Albion FC initially told their disabled supporters that car parking at the new Amex Stadium would be free of charge, and the spaces would be located right next to the stadium.

A few weeks before the start of the season the Club changed its mind and disabled supporters were told that parking would cost them £180 per season, and that many of the allocated parking spaces would be many hundreds of metres away on the other side of the A27 dual carriageway.

We want the club to change their mind again, and revert back to their initial promises that the disabled parking would be free, and the spaces would all be in the car park adjacent to the stadium, not hundreds of metres away.

Brighton and Hove Albion should not renege on their promise to provide free parking for disabled fans - Petition Online -

Simple really.

Last edited:

steve-c

having read the original thread, i'm with you on this . as has been said previously FALMER FOR ALL, and if the disabled supporters were told that parking would be free and adjacent to the Amex then the club should honour their word not change it. I know some will disagree but we should look after our fans and if it makes it easier for a few disabled to attend matches the club should let them park near and at no cost, even if it's limited spaces for sth's and pre booked for match to match sales.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
signed
it was Falmer for all
after all

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Understandable sentiments Phil. Why did the club change their minds on this?

No idea why, it's been discussed on here a lot, but it seems that they simply 'changed their minds'

having read the original thread, i'm with you on this . as has been said previously FALMER FOR ALL, and if the disabled supporters were told that parking would be free and adjacent to the Amex then the club should honour their word not change it. I know some will disagree but we should look after our fans and if it makes it easier for a few disabled to attend matches the club should let them park near and at no cost, even if it's limited spaces for sth's and pre booked for match to match sales.

The thing is, by moving ALL the disabled spaces to positions in the car parks adjacent to the stadium, they would not be limiting spaces for others, just moving them away to the University of Sussex site. Staff can park in the US car park, that would easily free up the 40 or 50 spaces needed to be nearer the ground. Failing that, or if staff were promised close parking, then move 40 or 50 1901 members over to the University car park. Job done, it isn't rocket science.

So if you can NSCers, please post this on your FB page, Twitter it, make some noise about it, the club MUST change their mind on this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Done. But the title is a potentially inflamatory, not keen on using renege. Maybe change it to something like
"Petition to ask Brighton and Hove Albion to provide free parking for disabled fans"

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Done. But the title is a potentially inflamatory, not keen on using renege. Maybe change it to something like
"Petition to ask Brighton and Hove Albion to provide free parking for disabled fans"

YES, I think HT has a point about the wording.

As the OG for this issue I feel I need to clarify for all others looking at this great piece of democracy in action.

At my ST presentation, which was hosted by Richard Hebbard, my salesperson when asked said that 'parking would be right outside for disabled supporters' (in the area now known as Bennetts Field) and when pressed about any cost said " there it will be free. All you will pay is the cost of your various STs". On this basis, I signed up for 4 STs, and paid in full for all of them within the week!

With the season getting nearer, I approached the club about booking a parking space, as they suggested on their website. It was only then, roughly 16 days before the season started, did any of us find out that the club was now going to charge £180 per space, and that a lot of those spaces are in Sx Uni, which is an average 30 mins walk for those of us on crutches or with disabilities.

They had my booking back in Jan or Feb, but waited until August before raising this issue.

What I found even sadder was that Mr Bloom sat alongside Mr Perry at the Fans Forum when this issue was raised 3 times, and at no point jumped in to end this nonsense, seemingly quite happy for Mr Perry to carry on airing the board's policy.

As it is, many supporters do not have a choice to use public transport, they have to be driven to the stadium. There fore we have no choice but to pay this amount for the space, or in effect waste the price of our STs.

I welcome any comments and support for this motion.

Thank you.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't set up the petition, so have no access to change the wording. Might be a bit late to change it, if they get inflamed by it, then they know how to stop it :wink:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
At my ST presentation, which was hosted by Richard Hebbard, my salesperson when asked said that 'parking would be right outside for disabled supporters' (in the area now known as Bennetts Field) and when pressed about any cost said " there it will be free. All you will pay is the cost of your various STs". On this basis, I signed up for 4 STs, and paid in full for all of them within the week!

When the presentations were done, Bennetts field was not an option as car park, nor was any planning permission sought or given for use as a car park at that time?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As the partner of someone who is disabled I have to say that I think it was foolish and frankly unecessary to offer free parking but if they did then they have a moral obligation to honour it.

What I do believe to be vital is for disabled parking, whether ultimately free or at cost, to be adjacent to the stadium or otherwise for dedicated disabled-accessible transport to be provided. Otherwise it is not only pointless but in my view it is actively hostile to those with disability.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
As the partner of someone who is disabled I have to say that I think it was foolish and frankly unecessary to offer free parking but if they did then they have a moral obligation to honour it.

What I do believe to be vital is for disabled parking, whether ultimately free or at cost, to be adjacent to the stadium or otherwise for dedicated disabled-accessible transport to be provided. Otherwise it is not only pointless but in my view it is actively hostile to those with disability.

Your point about the location is valid, as for those who used the Sx Uni option last Sat, I understand that the average was at least 30 mins, which included hitting the crowd from Falmer Station onwards. One chap has reported how he felt threatened in the crowd, not because they were a bunch of hooligans, but purely because the volume of people led him to be unsafe.

This is not really how our disabled supporters should be treated.

In response to a previous poster, at my presentation the salesperson when quoting 'right outside' gestured to where we now call BF. If you are saying that at the time this option was not available, one more reason to ask, what were the salespeople told to say to get us to sign on the dotted line?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
last Sat, I understand that the average was at least 30 mins, which included hitting the crowd from Falmer Station onwards. One chap has reported how he felt threatened in the crowd, not because they were a bunch of hooligans, but purely because the volume of people led him to be unsafe.

This is not really how our disabled supporters should be treated.

precisely

until it is resolved I for one could never bring my wife to a game as she would be unable to cope either physically or emotionally.

I really am very very surprised and massively disappointed at the club's response which has been consistently tardy, minimal, and lacking any understanding still less compassion for those who are other than fully able. Still worse is the sense that it is a deliberate response to those who have had the temerity to raise the issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here