Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled girl arrested for blasphemy - Another story that confirms religion is evil.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Stories like these just make me wonder what horrible horrible world we live in.

Pakistani police have arrested a mentally disabled 11-year-old girl after a mob accused her of desecrating pages of the Koran.

The mob demanded the Christian girl's arrest and threatened to burn down Christian homes outside the capital Islamabad, local media say.

Officials said the girl could not properly answer police questions.

Her parents have been taken into protective custody following threats and other Christian families have fled.

It is thought that the girl has Down's syndrome.

Paul Bhatti, Pakistan's minister for National Harmony, told the BBC that the girl was known to have a mental disorder and that it seemed "unlikely she purposefully desecrated the Koran".

"From the reports I have seen, she was found carrying a waste bag which also had pages of the Koran," he said.

"This infuriated some local people and a large crowd gathered to demand action against her. The police were initially reluctant to arrest her, but they came under a lot of pressure from a very large crowd, who were threatening to burn down Christian homes."

He said more than 600 people have fled from the Christian neighbourhood.

Rights activists have urged Pakistan to reform its controversial blasphemy laws, under which a person can be jailed for life for desecrating the Koran.

Many of those accused of blasphemy have been killed by violent mobs, while politicians who advocate a change in legislation have also been targeted.

Last year, Shahbaz Bhatti, the minister for minority affairs, was killed after calling for the repeal of the blasphemy law.

His death came just two months after the murder of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, who also spoke out about the issue.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is not religion in play, this is a culture in play.

Religion is merely another form of tribalism and even if it didn't exist such things would still occur.

China has no religion but you can still be put to death for "blaspheming" against the state.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't see how this is an example of RELIGION being evil, merely PEOPLE.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't see how this is an example of RELIGION being evil, merely PEOPLE.

Agreed.

Fundamentalism is a dangerous thing, but in cases like this one, I'd suggest its less to do with people taking genuine offence at a percieved slight against their holy book, and more to do with a load of frightened people in an unstable situation, feeling that its in their best interests, to be SEEN to be offended. Always a lot of cowards in a mob.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Come on if it were not for Religion then the people would not act and belive what they do in this and many other examples.

Tribalism.

In places like this there's constant massive tension between factions. ANY excuse for one to feel agrieved by the other will set things off. They are actively looking for the spark. Even if it is an 11 year old downs kid, with NO idea of her actions.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Come on if it were not for Religion then the people would not act and belive what they do in this and many other examples.

Yes they would is the simple answer.

TWO suspected motorcycle thieves were yesterday lynched by a mob in Malindi. One of the suspects was set a blaze and another was beaten to death in Mayele and Saba Saba areas. Witnesses said the first suspect was seen trying to steal a motorcycle at Mayele but was not successful since it had been switched off. The people who saw the suspect followed him to Kijiwetanga where they burnt his mother’s house and took him to Saba Saba where they lynched him. The second suspect was killed at Mayele.

Confirming the incident, area OCPD Kiprono Lang’at said the two bodies were taken to Malindi police station from where they were transferred to Malindi District Hospital mortuary. Lang’at said they have not arrested anyone in relation to the incident. He said police have launched investigations into the matter. The OCPD advised youth to desist from stealing and avoid operating motorcycles owned by people they do not know to avoid such cases.

He warned that the government will take stern action against anyone taking the law in his own hands. Cases of stealing motorcycles are on the increase in Malindi and other parts of the country. This has been attributed to the emergence of motorcycles as a faster and more convenient mode of transport. Unlike vehicles which cannot get to some remote areas, motorcycles easily get to these areas, making them the preferred means of transport.

No religion present yet their actions are no different.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
here we go again slagging off religion. Someone at my work who is not religious and hates it said that the bible should be used as a fire starter, what does that make him evil because he is an atheist? Id say he was a xxxx

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As I said on another thread its things like this that make you know the human race is coming to a sticky end I hope its not soon though ......but things like this can only speed it up

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
f*** sake you really have to wonder what this world is coming too, its deeply depressing

If you think about it,this isn't where the world is coming to, its still stuck in where its been for 1,000 of years in this particular issue.

For 1,000's of years these things have been happening, its only the advent of global instant reporting on the web that bring it to our attention.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nonsense, that's no different to saying without religion there would also be no charity/good selfless deeds etc.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'd say the opposite. In different forms, this sort of thing has been going on for centuries. Some cultures have risen above this faux-outrage now, though.

problem is some of those still living in the past have nuclear weapons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here