Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled girl arrested for blasphemy - Another story that confirms religion is evil.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nonsense, that's no different to saying without religion there would also be no charity/good selfless deeds etc.

Why do they do these things in the name of religion then. Religion is all hear say and none of it can be substantiated or proven to be fact. At the very best it lays down moral guide lines, Which in fairness everyone should abide to as common sense and courtesy to others.

Religion is often used as an excuse for Racism.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why do they do these things in the name of religion then. Religion is all hear say and none of it can be substantiated or proven to be fact. At the very best it lays down moral guide lines, Which in fairness everyone should abide to as common sense and courtesy to others.

Religion is often used as an excuse for Racism.

Because they're idiots. As mentioned above, for some it's simply used as a form of tit for tat tribalism. Get rid of religion and this would continue, as it does in places without religion.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can you please explain that comment.

Our culture and philosophy in this country (and across western Europe) are largely based on Judeo-Christian teachings, and 'Good' and 'Evil' - as we are taught them - have their roots in religious texts, written in the Holy Bible, and perpetuated throughout Christianity, often illustrated by God, angels etc on one side and Satan on the other.

While Judaism and Islam have their own differing philosophies, the broad concepts of 'Good' and 'Evil' are also present, though take their own slightly different form.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Our culture and philosophy in this country (and across western Europe) are largely based on Judeo-Christian teachings, and 'Good' and 'Evil' - as we are taught them - have their roots in religious texts, written in the Holy Bible, and perpetuated throughout Christianity, often illustrated by God, angels etc on one side and Satan on the other.

While Judaism and Islam have their own differing philosophies, the broad concepts of 'Good' and 'Evil' are also present, though take their own slightly different form.

Is not the good and evil concept rooted in Zoroastianism? I think i'm right in saying that early judaism picked up a concept of hell and the devil from exposure to Zoroastianism during the exile in Babylon.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To say that all religion is evil because some extreme elements have behaved in this manner is akin to saying that all football fans are hooligans because of a small minority causing trouble. All religions, like all football clubs, have good and bad apples.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

It's a tricky one I'd say. I was going to say that murder is seen as morally evil regardless of religion, but some religions would see human sacrifice, something which could be considered murder assuming it's not a voluntary sacrifice, as something to be praised etc...

I would say whilst most of Western cultures view of things that are morally good or evil have roots in religious texts, I think that the concepts are so ingrained now that they could continue without religion.

'Good' and 'Evil' are universal moral concepts, existing in all societies.

There's a very interesting book by the anthropologist, Edward Evans-Pritchard, written in the 1930s, about the Azande people of East Africa, who (in their traditional belief system) have no concept of "God" - Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic Among the Azande.

Read the chapter entitled "The Notion of Witchcraft Explains Unfortunate Events".

http://faculty.washington.edu/stevehar/Witchcraft.pdf

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Religion is just an excuse for doing hateful things at times but it is not Religion to blame. Its the same as people who commit assault because they support a different football team, you don't then suggest FOOTBALL IS EVIL do you? People can find anything to hide behind to justify abhorrent actions, religion is just used more often because it pervades all sectors of society.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It seems to be the most vile, hot headed and totally f***ing barking mad irrational ones seem to have a copy of the Koran in their back pocket. It is the 21st century but a lot of these people seem to think it is the 8th century still. Still maybe Frankie Boyle is more or less the same and he is Scottish so who knows ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It seems to be the most vile, hot headed and totally f***ing barking mad irrational ones seem to have a copy of the Koran in their back pocket.

Vile, hot headed individuals of all denominations.

ian_paisley.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed.

Fundamentalism is a dangerous thing, but in cases like this one, I'd suggest its less to do with people taking genuine offence at a percieved slight against their holy book, and more to do with a load of frightened people in an unstable situation, feeling that its in their best interests, to be SEEN to be offended. Always a lot of cowards in a mob.

Tribalism.

In places like this there's constant massive tension between factions. ANY excuse for one to feel agrieved by the other will set things off. They are actively looking for the spark. Even if it is an 11 year old downs kid, with NO idea of her actions.

Do you just follow me around all day waiting for a chance to make a comment on my posts ? Get a LIFE !

FFS you tedious self-important old dullard. For the BILLIONTH time, its NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.

This is an interesting thread, that I was already engaged in. I would have responded to that post whoever had posted it. Grow up.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
FFS you tedious self-important old dullard. For the BILLIONTH time, its NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.

This is an interesting thread, that I was already engaged in. I would have responded to that post whoever had posted it. Grow up.

You are actually quite clever in a way, you do everything you can to get a bite and then put your hands in the air and say " its not me its you ". Quite clever or maybe just a coward not to actually admit what your game is. I can see it and lots of other people on here can see your game as well. If you want this charade to stop, stop trying to antagonise.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
You are actually quite clever in a way, you do everything you can to get a bite and then put your hands in the air and say " its not me its you ". Quite clever or maybe just a coward not to actually admit what your game is. I can see it and lots of other people on here can see your game as well. If you want this charade to stop, stop trying to antagonise.

Without wanting to get involved in this too much, HKFC was involved in the thread well before you joined in. I'm not trying to comment on any 'history' between you two, simply this thread.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
problem is some of those still living in the past have nuclear weapons

Fortunately their holy books, having been written hundreds of years ago, don't give any instructions as to what to do with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here