Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you support another team before you became a Brighton fan?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I doubt that this thread will apply to anyone born and bred in Sussex, but howabout others, like me, who moved from elsewhere to the Brighton area?

I'm pretty sure I've seen quite a few posts from posters who have not always supported the Albion?

I had been a Spurs fan since I was about 11 and when I moved to Brighton, it was only the fact that the Albion were playing Malcolm Allison's much vaunted division 3 Palace that encouraged me to go to the Goldstone, having lived in Brighton for about a year. Before that I'd had no interest in what I thought was a crappy little 3rd division team :eek:

I found myself supporting the Albion, simply because they were the local team. After that I started to go regularly and became an enthusiastic fan. In fairness Albion were a pretty decent and attractive team drawing good crowds and mostly winning which had a lot to do with my going to games.

A couple of seasons later when we were promoted to the then 2nd Division, we played Tottenham for the 1st time since I'd been watching the Albion. I went to the game in two minds as to who I'd support but from the kick off I realised the only team I was interested in was the Albion and that's been it ever since. I no longer have any real interest in Spurs and I actually prefer watching Arsenal these days....

Bad fan I KNOW, but I was a Spurs fan from a distance and had never even seen them live so don't feel too bad about being a turncoat. Have any other NSC posters changed allegiance?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I was born in Essex and moved to Sussex when I was about 7, so I was a Liverpool supporter for a very brief time, then I was taken to the Goldstone in 1976 and that was that.

Who needs the Champions league...

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I was born in Essex and moved to Sussex when I was about 7, so I was a Liverpool supporter for a very brief time, then I was taken to the Goldstone in 1976 and that was that.

Who needs the Champions league...

exactly the same for me, Liverpool and then i was taken to the Goldstone also in 1976

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Used to follow Folkestone Town when I was little and they folder and become Folkestone Invicta.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I watched Piddinghoe as a kid, they had 4 teams and played good football.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was born in Purley, Surrey into a family of diehard Palace fans. Much to my Dad's disgust for some reason I grew up supporting Chelsea, but I had Palace as my second team to keep him quiet

I moved to Lancing when I was 8 and became a Brighton fan more by a process of osmosis rather than anything else. Certainly initially I went to watch third-rate Brighton at the Goldstone when I couldn't go and see proper football at Stamford Bridge, or (whisper it), Selhurst Park. The most embarrassing moment of my childhood came when 'we' (Chelsea) only drew with Brighton in the FA Cup in about 1967.

I think I became a fully-fledged Brighton fan in the season we (Brighton) got promoted as runners-up to Aston Villa. It's funny though, much as I hate Chelsea now I've only got to hear names like Peter Bonetti, Alan Harris, Ron Harris, Eddie McCreadie, Joe Kirkup, Marvin Hinton, Charlie Cook, Bobby Tambling, Johnny Boyle, Peter Houseman, Tommy Baldwin, etc and I get all nostalgic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes, Yes I did. Leeds United of all teams.

I didn't live in the UK till I was 10, my football came via day old newspapers, day later editions of MOTD, at the time Leeds were successful, I had a white football shirt, so I followed Leeds. Also, I quite liked the QPR strip so followed them too.

When I moved to the UK, I ended up in boarding school in Sussex, Eric Steele came to the school to do a presentation, that's when I found out about Brighton, and became a Brighton fan.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Although I lived in sussex (H.Heath), I "sort of" supported either Man U or Leeds Utd - as a kid I didn't know any better than to support the best team. (Yes youngsters, Leeds did used to be very very good indeed)

I then got taken to The Goldstone when I was 9 and that was that.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Yep, Liverpool. But that was mainly because when i was younger and watched match of the day i thought that there was only 20 teams in england as they were the only ones they showed!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I was born in London but moved to Sussex as a toddler (it's ok, I didn't drive). I started watching The Albion in 1980 and have been hooked ever since. Before that I supported from the comfort of an armchair.........dare I say it............Leeds :whistle:

I remember watching the results coming in on the high-tech viddyprinter at the end of Grandstand and never enjoyed Dr.Who as much if they'd lost.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What can I say, born in South London (Merton, not Croydon) but transferred to Sussex when only 5. First game I ever saw was Wimbledon v Yeovil in the Southern league Floodlit Cup Final 2nd Leg. Think Wimbledon won 3-2 on aggregate with Dickie Guy in goal. First team followed regularly (without ever seeing them play) was Leeds Utd, 1970 to about 1974. Everyone in our family wanted Chelsea to win 1970 cup so I chose Leeds (first black mark on my Football cv). Sister liked Liverpool so when they played Leicester in FAC semis in 1974 (I think) followed them for couple of years with a bit of Man Utd thrown in on the side (second black mark).

1975 saw first Albion game and never looked back. That was followed by 5 great years under Mullers. The rest is history, one fantastic rollercoaster ride. If my parents had moved to Rochdale, I could have spent the last 35 years watching my football in the basement league!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My nan bought me a Chelsea scarf when I was about 5, just before I moved to Sussex, I only liked them because Peter Osgood played for them...if asked I would probably have said that Chelsea were my team until I was about 10 and saw the light. We had an elderly nextdoor neighbour whose father had been a director in the early days of the club, he convinced me that I should follow the Albion as they were the local team...hard to argue with logic like that and I would like to say that I have never looked back.

I can also remember Eric Steele coming to school to give a presentation, it was at the end of the season when we had won promotion to Division One...it may have been the same one that Superphil mentions as we were at the same school...I even got to ask him a question!

Oct 25, 2003
for some reason i supported liverpool in the 90's when they were shit

i still went to brighton games though, until i got bored of supporting a team i rarely saw play and realised i didn't care at all about liverpool really, and properly fell in love with the albion

I supported West Ham when I lived in London. Still follow them from my armchair but on my last two visits to Upton Park I have wanted them to lose.:lolol:

It was the Fans Utd day that kick-started my interest in the Albion (which I attended as a hammer along with a rotherham and wealdstone fan), it was an unbelieveable day and put me back in touch with real football. Sadly I got disillusioned Premiershite football, overpaid prima donnas, never playing a home game on a saturday and the rest. When I made the move to brighton it was only a matter of time before I started supporting my local team. One of the best moves I have ever made, don't regret it for a second.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here