Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you know that you can't be offside from a GK?

Did you know that you can't be offside from a GK?

• Total voters

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Yeh it's a funny one but is def the case. If the goalie tips it onto the post you can follow it up. Effectively a pen is like a free kick and you'd be touching it twice in a row if it came of the post and didn't hit anyone...

Same as if someone hit a freekick against the woodwork and it rebounded staright back to the taker, they couldn't touch it again

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you pass the ball when taking a penalty-kick to a player in an offside position - then he is offside.

Mind you a pretty stupid way of taking a penalty!

But to be in an offside position when the penalty is taken, without encroaching, you would have to be at the side of the penalty area 11.5 yards (about) from the goaline. That would put you 18yrds away from the ball (fractionally longer if you take into account the hypotenuse of the triangle). So, as you say, a stupid and most ineffective way of taking a penalty.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Or course, as long as the ball moves more than it's circumference it's fine.

I think it used to be the ball only became 'live' after being rolled more than it's circumference, in a forward direction, usually to your team mate standing next to you. I believe it now becomes 'live' just being played forward, hence the odd occasion of forwards belting it straight at the goal from the whistle ???

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Does anyone remember a sports news story about a football hitting a flying bird and deflecting into the goal? Would have been in the last few years? Might have imagined it tbf :lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I only learnt this last season when someone in E block shouted "offside" and someone in F said you couldn't be offside.

The next 10 minutes involved quiet mummurs around both blocks as people became slowly aware of the revelation.

Middle aged men were in utter shock

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Here's one for the rule experts. In a penalty shoot out, what happens if the penalty is hit against the bar and then rebounds onto the diving keeper and into the net? This happened in a shootout in Mexico 86 if I remember correctly, the ref gave it but the the keeper went spacker as he seemed to think that it shouldn't have been given.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I'll be honest and say I didn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Here's one for the rule experts. In a penalty shoot out, what happens if the penalty is hit against the bar and then rebounds onto the diving keeper and into the net? This happened in a shootout in Mexico 86 if I remember correctly, the ref gave it but the the keeper went spacker as he seemed to think that it shouldn't have been given.

I think it's up to the referee. This specific situation isn't covered in the laws of the game under penalty shoot outs, but it says

Unless otherwise stated, the relevant Laws of the Game and International F.A. Board Decisions apply when kicks from the penalty mark are being taken

and for the law on penalties during the game:

The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

And just out of interest this is from the section on penalty shoot outs in the advice to referees section of the law book:
Procedure
• The kicks from the penalty mark are not part of the match
• The penalty area where the kicks from the penalty marks are taking place
may be changed only if the goal or the playing surface becomes unusable
• Once all eligible players have taken a kick from the penalty mark, the same
sequence does not have to be followed as in the fi rst round of kicks
• Each team is responsible for selecting the players from those on the field of
play at the end of the match and the order in which they will take the kicks
• A player other than the goalkeeper who is injured may not be substituted
during the taking of kicks from the penalty mark
• If the goalkeeper is sent off during the taking of kicks from the penalty
mark, he must be replaced by a player who fi nished the match
• A player, substitute or substituted player may be cautioned or sent off
during the taking of kicks from the penalty mark
• The referee must not abandon the match if a team is reduced to fewer than
seven players during the taking of kicks from the penalty mark
• If a player is injured or sent off during the taking of kicks from the penalty
mark and the team has one player fewer, the referee should not reduce
the number of players taking kicks for the other team. An equal number of
players from each team is required only at the start of the taking of kicks
from the penalty mark

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Anyone remember Czech Rep team not knowing the basic rules of a shootout in the semi of Euro '96?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In 1966, when Alan Ball crossed from the by-line for Geoff Hurst to crash the ball against the crossbar, wasn't Ball offside when Hurst shot?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Where I sit at Withdean, pretty much EVERY game someone will cry "offside" direct from a goal kick. Cue someone saying "You can't be offside from a goal kick" and repeat...week in week out!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Where I sit at Withdean, pretty much EVERY game someone will cry "offside" direct from a goal kick. Cue someone saying "You can't be offside from a goal kick" and repeat...week in week out!

They're only shouting at Murray :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here