Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you know that you can't be offside from a GK?

Did you know that you can't be offside from a GK?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn't know until the Southend game at Withdean when Barnard stood 5 yards "offside" and I was moaning like a girl at the linesman :embarrased:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, looked it up because I was wondering why players stood in apparently offside positions from goal kicks :)

But why do defenders push up to the halfway line then for goalkicks, before dropping back at the last minute, if it's not to try and catch opponents offside?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did you know if you take a goal kick and no one touches it and it bounces all the way through into your opponent's goal they get a goal kick? If a penalty hits the bar/post and bounces back to the other end of the pitch and goes in the goal, it's a corner.

I think you need to double check that. Penalty is a direct free kick so it would be a goal. Same as if there is an indirect free kick and you kick it into your own net without it being touched by someone else it is a goal.

Sorry but are you saying that you thought you could kick the rebound into the goal or were you just being sarcastic?

I have to say the ignorance of the basic rules of football displayed by some on this board staggers me and, to a certain extent, goes a long way to explaining why some people post the crap they do!!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But why do defenders push up to the halfway line then for goalkicks, before dropping back at the last minute, if it's not to try and catch opponents offside?

Playing the odds? Hoping they either intercept it, or force one of their opponents to try to win it, and in flicking it on, the player deeper then becomes offside.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On the topic of offsides can someone clear up that Rooney one on Sunday when it was 0-0. He was coming back from an offside position and not interfering with play when the German defender kicked it back and Rooney was 1 on 1 with acres of space only to be flagged offside. I was shouting at the tele but the commentators didn't flag it as a major decision and said he was off...? Surely if he's inactive in the first phase of play once the defender touches it he is onside?

Was a massive decision...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On the topic of offsides can someone clear up that Rooney one on Sunday when it was 0-0. He was coming back from an offside position and not interfering with play when the German defender kicked it back and Rooney was 1 on 1 with acres of space only to be flagged offside. I was shouting at the tele but the commentators didn't flag it as a major decision and said he was off...? Surely if he's inactive in the first phase of play once the defender touches it he is onside?

The ball was being played up to rooney while he was in an offside position. The german player got a touch to it when he tried to intercept it, but the initial ball to an offside rooney was from an england player.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'll be honest. No, I didn't know. I did know about throw-ins but the goal kick one. Bad footy fan :blush:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

He was a couple of metres behind the defender and so was interfering with play

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Did you know that if your two centre halves are shit and slow and out of position it also makes it very easy for the opposition to score direct from a goal kick without anyone on your team getting a touch?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The ball was being played up to rooney while he was in an offside position. The german player got a touch to it when he tried to intercept it, but the initial ball to an offside rooney was from an england player.

So he's interfering cos the balls trying to be passed to him? It's still a grey area though isn't it - I thought once the defender touched it he's onside and the initial offside shouldn't be flagged cos it didn't reach him?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think you need to double check that. Penalty is a direct free kick so it would be a goal. Same as if there is an indirect free kick and you kick it into your own net without it being touched by someone else it is a goal.

I'm pretty sure I read that. Just checking the laws of the game (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf page 38 of the pdf (36 of the document)){

Ball enters the goal
• if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal is
awarded
• if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team’s own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I think one ought to differentiate here between a goal kick (from which, as correctly stated, you cannot be offside) and a kick from a goalkeeper`s hands, from which one can be offside.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So he's interfering cos the balls trying to be passed to him? It's still a grey area though isn't it - I thought once the defender touched it he's onside and the initial offside shouldn't be flagged cos it didn't reach him?

He's interferring because the ball was played to him, by a team mate. He was in an offside position. The ball was played to him. So he was offside. The german player's touch was essentially a slight bump in it's path, had the german player managed to trap the ball or bring it down, then turned and passed it would have been onside, but as it was simply a deflection the german player didn't technically 'play the ball'. It's not that grey.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's interferring because the ball was played to him, by a team mate. He was in an offside position. The ball was played to him. So he was offside. The german player's touch was essentially a slight bump in it's path, had the german player matched to trap the ball or bring it down, then turned and passed it would have been onside, but as it was simply a deflection the german player didn't technically 'play the ball'. It's not that grey.

Thanks for explaining. I did think that may be the case but my interpretation with my St George glasses on was different. :thumbsup:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Didn't know about the penalty hitting the post and the taker not being able to touch it again until someone else has. Common sense when you think about it though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't know about the penalty hitting the post and the taker not being able to touch it again until someone else has. Common sense when you think about it though.

Yeh it's a funny one but is def the case. If the goalie tips it onto the post you can follow it up. Effectively a pen is like a free kick and you'd be touching it twice in a row if it came of the post and didn't hit anyone...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here