Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Night

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What should it have been a portrait of then BG ?

I think it should have been a portrait of him but that particular one wasnt very life like of him.

NSC is becoming hard work: at one time people could voice an opinion whether it be the same as the majority or not. but now it appears that unless you fall in line like sheep you are open to be castigated on here.

Well whatever your thoughts on the style of paintaing, I thought the idea of an original piece of art was outstanding. I genuinely spent a long time trying to think of a gift idea and came up with nowt so well done all involved. Bloody good choice of wine also, is it purely a coincedance that that is the favoured wine of Mafia Dons also?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it should have been a portrait of him but that particular one wasnt very life like of him.

NSC is becoming hard work: at one time people could voice an opinion whether it be the same as the majority or not. but now it appears that unless you fall in line like sheep you are open to be castigated on here.
But this is a thread of people reflecting on a very pleasant evening, celebrating the GODFATHER of modern Brighton & Hove Albion.

Given those circumstances, perhaps you might have guessed that voicing your opinion on the quality of the present would have been interpreted as little more than SNEERING.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

I'd bring back your Bars Mar character.

This BensGrandad persona is getting a bit obvious.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Wow, I'm well impressed with that painting. Looks great.

And BG, fine you don't like it, but jesus, how about being a bit less narrow minded?

and you forgot to say 'I don't know much about art but I know what I like...' ;)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If anyone didn't like the painting, because "it's not a close enough likeness" :wozza:, they'd have been appalled by the first choice of present - a commissioned caricature drawing of Dick by The Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell.

I sent him an email, then went and knocked on his door (he lives over the road from me). He is a big, burly bear of a man with eyes that cut straight through you. When I mentioned to him about doing a possible commission, he just said "I don't do commissions. I've got enough work lined up, and enough tight f***ing deadlines to meet..." *SLAM*

On balance, I'm quite glad that conversation happened, or I'd have never thought of Simon Dixon.

If anyone didn't like the painting, because "it's not a close enough likeness" :wozza:, they'd have been appalled by the first choice of present - a commissioned caricature drawing of Dick by The Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell.

I sent him an email, then went and knocked on his door (he lives over the road from me). He is a big, burly bear of a man with eyes that cut straight through you. When I mentioned to him about doing a possible commission, he just said "I don't do commissions. I've got enough work lined up, and enough tight f***ing deadlines to meet..." *SLAM*

I trust he said his retort in a wittily acerbic way, as only a top national rag's cartoonist must.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Attila's poem, reproduced WITHOUT his kind permission...

KNIGHTHOOD

When you turned up at our meeting
The atmosphere was manic
We held it at the Concorde
But it felt like the Titanic!
The Albion ship was sinking
Our loyal crew was there
On the lookout for a captain
With a bit of cash to spare....

You sailed in to the gathering
With your trusty sidekick Mart
Promised us a new beginning
Showed the passion in your heart
So we headed up to London
(To the bloody CBI!)
And together took on Archer -
Looked the bastard in the eye.

We beat him, sent down Hereford
And in exile simply said
‘We are coming back to Brighton’ -
Our opponents turned and fled.
No, it wasn’t quite that simple
But we did it all the same
Then came glory under Micky -
And now Falmer was our aim....

So you became our Sisyphus.
Our stadium was your boulder.
But each time it rolled down the hill
It went back on your shoulder.
The Nimbys, snobs and bat-spotters
Were done, not once, but twice -
You made our dream reality.
A shame about the price.

You gave your time, your guts, your love
(And, yes, a few quid too!)
And every single Albion fan
Knows what we owe to you.
So lead us out at Falmer, Dick.
We’ll meet you at the gate.
The one and only millionaire
I’m proud to call a mate!

:lolol:

:laugh:

:clap2:

:yahoo:

You must have a terrific memory mate, because I can't recall any time when you could stick yer oar in with a dumb-assed and completely unnecessary opinion and get a nod of approval. :shrug:

Anyway, as someone has already said - opine all you like, you are just as fair game for opinions back atcha. That seems pretty-much like freedom of speech, to me. ???

I expect a portrait to be similar to a photograph and be a true likeness of the subject.
It looks REMARKABLY similar to a photograph, in my opinion.

Obviously the portrait is missing the handsome chap alongside him, but Dick can't have everything.

p274783002-3.jpg

rally2_0020.thumb.jpg

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Shame about a few disparaging comments on the painting. I thought it was colourful, flamboyant and obviously unique. Dick seemed genuinely over the moon, and whilst it could have stayed in its protective see-through wrapping, he was desperate to tear that off and see it in all its glory. Well done on commisioning it, everyone on our table thought it was perfect.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
:lolol:

:laugh:

:clap2:

:yahoo:

You must have a terrific memory mate, because I can't recall any time when you could stick yer oar in with a dumb-assed and completely unnecessary opinion and get a nod of approval. :shrug:

Anyway, as someone has already said - opine all you like, you are just as fair game for opinions back atcha. That seems pretty-much like freedom of speech, to me. ???

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here