Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicks Bar

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I appreciate people do live away from the stadium but surely you visit family occasionally? The bar is open every day for staff to have their lunch and until 8pm.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People say about the language and humour in Dicks Bar but how does this differ from that at the local Kings Head or Rose and Crown that aperson may take their children to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
POeoiple say about the language and humour in Dicks Bar but how does this differ from that at the local Kings Head or Rose and Crown that aperson may take their children to.

..or the North Stand or West Stand concourses?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't you take the kids to the Superstore at any other time, especially when you don't have to queue to pay?

I wouldn't consider the two situations even comparable. On the odd occasion I go to the supermarket ( that's what home delivery is all about ! ) I try and avoid taking the kids.

I go to the Amex to watch football and take the kids. Why would I want to go when there's no football ? It's just plain daft to put the mosaic in an area the least people can go to on match day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn't consider the two situations even comparable. On the odd occasion I go to the supermarket ( that's what home delivery is all about ! ) I try and avoid taking the kids.

I go to the Amex to watch football and take the kids. Why would I want to go when there's no football ? It's just plain daft to put the mosaic in an area the least people can go to on match day.
I was talking about the club Superstore, not the supermarket. You could take the kids there to spend birthday/Christmas money and then hop upstairs to look at the mosaic.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Er, no. Coke is about 8x as profitable as beer.

I don't think it is usually as much as 8x, but I see your point. However, it's sold in smaller measures and usually (as I said on original post, I am sure plenty will tell me their kids guzzle down pints of coke) in fewer quantities - i.e. group of alcohol-consuming adults in a round, get to Dick's at 1pm, possibly get 4 pints each in, as opposed to dad with 2 kids, kids have 1-2 half pints of coke each (with some crisps as well perhaps).

I do also think that, due to matchday routines etc, families tend to arrive earlier, and of course there are more of them, therefore the club would have to field a lot of complaints from adult fans who regularly find it impossible to get in.

As I said, I fully support kids in pubs as a rule, and my group of friends have fallen foul of this at Dick's (mate has 15 yr old son who was turned away), just think that in such a small bar in such a large stadium, it's fair enough.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Exactly. We said it was 'Falmer for all' and a 'community stadium'. Not everybody wants to be surrounded by kids and the club are to be congratulated on trying to cater for ALL fans and ALL sections of the community by having a kid-free area. Kids shouldn't be in Dick's any more than blokes should be using the ladies' toilets.

Signed: One smug father whose youngest is now nineteen and may have felt differently ten years ago!

I'm so glad you got this statement the right way round......although it would've been just as valid a point..

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Give it a few seasons, a few scuffs, wear the carpet out a little and it will feel like a 'bar'

A little bit sterile at the moment but i still spend a good few pissed 30 minutes or so at the mural trying to find Louise Redknapp again.............with no joy as yet!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I was thinking of treating the old ball and chain to lunch at Dick's Bar this week however I can't find a menu anywhere online. She's veggy (but eats chicken - yeah go figure!) so I wanted to see what options were available before trekking over there only to find they only do 1 veggy dish.

Has anyone got any ideas where i could find one (other than actually going there of course!)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I went in there for the first time last night and left soon after the music started as it was not to my taste. The bar wasnt what I expectyed and only a slight improvement, with seats than drinking in the concourse. I certainly wouldnt queue up to go in there but it was ok. Borther in law says Virgo and Mayo were in there did anybody see them or is he bull.......g.

What is the general opinion of the bar as I said I thought that it was ok no more no less.

More like a motorway cafe than a bar, i`ve been in once would not go again no atmosphere

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I was thinking of treating the old ball and chain to lunch at Dick's Bar this week however I can't find a menu anywhere online. She's veggy (but eats chicken - yeah go figure!) so I wanted to see what options were available before trekking over there only to find they only do 1 veggy dish.

Has anyone got any ideas where i could find one (other than actually going there of course!)

There aint no menu mate pies and sarnies thats the choice you get,it`s the same as the concourse realy but with seats and tables

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Use the East Stand brasserie thing in the week. Cheap lunch (cooked by City College students). You get go out in the East Stand 1901 area, it's pretty decent, though portions aren't huge.

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
I was talking to some Newcastle fans in there last night about 10pm. They thought it was amazing. Everyone was steaming, people were dancing to Motown. Where else do you get that!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Give it a few seasons, a few scuffs, wear the carpet out a little and it will feel like a 'bar'

A little bit sterile at the moment but i still spend a good few pissed 30 minutes or so at the mural trying to find Louise Redknapp again.............with no joy as yet!

Louise is eye candy granted, but thick as pig shit i used to watch something for the weekend untill she got the assistant presenters role.This is a programme with a cooking theme, and she constantly states she cannot boil an egg and seems proud of that fact, and what an annoying voice she has.Probably gives a good bj though or Jamie would have got rid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here