Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Some people on here seem to think that the stadium will belong to the Albion.

Indeed. And there's the potential problem, imo. Will big investors come in if the club doesn't actually own its stadium. Don't investors, by their nature, want to MAKE money?

I don't want another Archer fiasco, obviously, I don't want someone coming in with millions then walking away with an easy profit. But what will make the club an attractive proposition to potential investors?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Man City dont own their stadium.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't want another Archer fiasco, obviously, I don't want someone coming in with millions then walking away with an easy profit. But what will make the club an attractive proposition to potential investors?

The club will NEVER be an attractive proposition because we have never been, and are never likely to be, in the Prem.

There are no 'investors' as such lurking in the wings. If we are lucky there might be a couple of fans with more money than sense who love the club and like the idea of throwing some money down the drain for the benefit of improving their public profile and having the chance to eat a cheese sandwich after the game with the likes of Tommy Fraser.

Bill Archer, as much as he is loathed by 99.99% of our fans, walked away from the Albion and agreed to write off £700k that he was owed, more than some of us will earn in our lifetimes.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The club will NEVER be an attractive proposition because we have never been, and are never likely to be, in the Prem.

There are no 'investors' as such lurking in the wings. If we are lucky there might be a couple of fans with more money than sense who love the club and like the idea of throwing some money down the drain for the benefit of improving their public profile and having the chance to eat a cheese sandwich after the game with the likes of Tommy Fraser.

Bill Archer, as much as he is loathed by 99.99% of our fans, walked away from the Albion and agreed to write off £700k that he was owed, more than some of us will earn in our lifetimes.

I don't buy that.Both Reading and Wigan are small clubs where mega rich people have taken control.Once the stadium is up and running it will be just a matter of time for some rich bloke to spot the huge potential the club has.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Thank god i dont like cheese sarnies, i will keep me money in the bank :jester:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The asset itself (ie, the Stadium) is relatively immaterial. It's useful to secure loans against, but it's the revenue streams which are critical. The majority of teams outside the Premiership and (say) the top dozen or so Championship teams, have no real prospect of ever generating decent revenue. The fact that these teams also own their own stadia doesn't make them more attractive. What the Albion has is POTENTIAL. Once it has a decent ground it can exploit that potential - the fact that it won't own the ground doesn't matter.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The asset itself (ie, the Stadium) is relatively immaterial. It's useful to secure loans against, but it's the revenue streams which are critical. The majority of teams outside the Premiership and (say) the top dozen or so Championship teams, have no real prospect of ever generating decent revenue. The fact that these teams also own their own stadia doesn't make them more attractive. What the Albion has is POTENTIAL. Once it has a decent ground it can exploit that potential - the fact that it won't own the ground doesn't matter.

Is the correct answer :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Once it has a decent ground it can exploit that potential - the fact that it won't own the ground doesn't matter.

Agreed, but there is a difference between CAN and WILL. There are plenty of other clubs, such as Swansea, Cardiff, Donny, the two Bristols, MK Dongs etc who are in a not dissimilar position

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Don't get me wrong.

I'm not saying Wilkins isn't to blame. If he can't do the job, he should go. But I don't blame Dick Knight for appointing him in the first place. Wilkins had shown all the signs of having the potential to make it as a manager. He's now showing signs of losing the plot.

Shown all the signs? He had lost three games in a row when he was confirmed as manager!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I cannot believe this thread is four pages long and no one has mentioned that Wendy was wearing a BLACK TANK TOP on Saturday over a WHITE long sleeved shirt.

If a man cannot choose his clothes properly, what chance does he have with a central midfield player?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Agreed, but there is a difference between CAN and WILL. There are plenty of other clubs, such as Swansea, Cardiff, Donny, the two Bristols, MK Dongs etc who are in a not dissimilar position

Cardiff and the two Bristol clubs don't yet have new stadiums. MK Dons is a bizarre situation, hardly on a par with BHAFC. Swansea had 17,000+ for their first home game this season. The key thing is, and I'm sure we both agree, Falmer provides the opportunity to exploit the potential. Owning the stadium won't make the difference - having a decent manager will.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
QUOTE]

Why's that then?

Southampton spent YONKS in the old first Division despite a 15K ground capacity.

and as for investors, didn't you notice? Brighton is now FAT CITY. Every greedhead in London want to live here and the building firms have to recruit half of Poland to build the incomers dormitories. all it means is we'll have a rubbish building firm's motif, or some shitty estate agent advertising blurb, on the shirt at Falmer.

These debates always amuse me.....they seem to crop up at the most ludicrous of times. Perspective is not one of those things which NSC seems to do well. However, here's an attempt:

We are a matter of a couple of weeks away from being certain that the Albion's financial future is secure. The fact that we still exist as a football club is due massively to the efforts of DK. The fact that we are in the bottom half of the third tier of English football is entirely in keeping with our current circumstances, and also pretty much a reflection of where we've always been, historically.

We are THREE games into the season. A few years ago the newspapers didn't even publish league tables until about four games had been played!

DK may have got it wrong with a few managerial appointments, but in the circumstances they were made, I think they were reasonable decisions. But let's not forget the RIGHT decisions he made:

Micky Adams
Steve Coppell
Peter Taylor
Mark McGhee (don't argue this one - he got a pretty average team promoted, then miraculously kept them up)

He also has a superb record in the transfer market, getting way above the odds for players like Virgo, Harding, Henderson, Knight, etc.

Once the appeal deadline has passed, I'm sure there'll be some changes....DK will possibly step down as chairman, and presumably relinquish some of his shareholding. Other investors will come in. The Blooms will presumably get more involved?? Perry will get on with delivering the stadium. Funds will be available for team strengthening. We will almost certainly have a new manager.

DK will have achieved the goal he set out to achieve in 1996/97. Against all the odds. And NSC can get on with the essential task of criticising the next chairman.

Well done J. You've managed to silence FG-sorry-Vulture for a while. He's unable to argue sensibly against any of the above.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dick got it wrong appointing Wilkins and to give him a 3 year contract on the back of nothing was madness but I would not want any other chairman in charge of BHAFC.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Dick got it wrong appointing Wilkins and to give him a 3 year contract on the back of nothing was madness but I would not want any other chairman in charge of BHAFC.

Change the record for f*** sake :tosser:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
*************stop The Press Algie In Obnoxious Insulting Tosser Post ***********************

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wanker

I guess when options other than "cheap" present themselves.

Get real. The club can't afford what you want. And even if spending big money was an option, how often does this go wrong for other clubs?

except of course they can and have afford to give a 34 year old striker a three yeart deal that ties him to the club until he's 37...................................:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here