Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
But we need a midfielder now surely it would pay to speculate and in turn probably increase the crowd rather than wait for the appeal date to pass and then have to wait until january when we could be stuck in real trouble at the bottom..and we don't need another sicknote Bowditch !!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What about Wilkins 3 year contract and paying that up.Another silly error from Knight

Or it was a chance for a bit of stability to see us to the start of Falmer? Maybe a two year contract with an option to extend would have been less of a risk, but I still do think Wilkins can pull this around. He can only operate with that he is given. I can't imagine any of the board are inclined to dig deep having put a fair amount in with no return so far.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Or it was a chance for a bit of stability to see us to the start of Falmer? Maybe a two year contract with an option to extend would have been less of a risk, but I still do think Wilkins can pull this around. He can only operate with that he is given. I can't imagine any of the board are inclined to dig deep having put a fair amount in with no return so far.

Think off all the money lost.Crowds of just over 5,000.This should be the time were we are all in total joy over Falmer.But football is a results industry.Wilkins has won 1 in the last 13.His style of football is boring and the fans will not come back.How ever imagine someone like Warnock here,his passion,he would show everything Wilkins does not.Imagine if we go down this year.Would u want to be a 4th divison club with a 22,500 all seater ground.

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Clearly Vulture is one of lifes' successes who gets fustrated with others inability to achieve the sort of results that he achieves every day.
Please tell us Vulture which multi national conglomorate you are heading up & what you have achieved today. And while you're at it perhaps you could explain why you have left Dick Knight to run the Albion instead of moving in and using your superior skills to put our club in a better position.

Vulture: I notice that in spite of the fact that you have posted a few times since my question that you have chosen to totally ignore it.

You are slagging off someone who has stood up, put money in and achieved a good deal of success. Please tell me why, given that you think that DK is such a miserable failure, you haven't stepped up to help hte club out? Surely it can't be that you are worried that you would have acheived even less than DK?
It's easy to sit on the sidelines and snipe, saying what you would have done - instead of that why not put yourself in the firing line, are you scared?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Vulture: I notice that in spite of the fact that you have posted a few times since my question that you have chosen to totally ignore it.

You are slagging off someone who has stood up, put money in and achieved a good deal of success. Please tell me why, given that you think that DK is such a miserable failure, you haven't stepped up to help hte club out? Surely it can't be that you are worried that you would have acheived even less than DK?
It's easy to sit on the sidelines and snipe, saying what you would have done - instead of that why not put yourself in the firing line, are you scared?

He has a nice tattoo too.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
For many years now, I have had my reservations about Dick Knight. His intentions are good and there are no doubts that he has done his best, particularly with regard to his dogged determination over Falmer. However, from the time he wanted to take over from Bill Archer, any financial dealings have been ridiculously protracted (unless it,s selling players of course) . The club almost went out of the league because it took so long wrestling control from Bill Archer. At the end of the day, it was about money, and we nearly paid the ultimate price because of the time it took.
Since then, there have been any number of players who have "slipped through our fingers" due to the lack of urgency and the willingness to invest properly in the team.
Forster and Whing have signed this year, .....but how long did it take before they signed on the dotted line...?.....6 months.....?
The failures of recent managers are almost entirely confined to "in-house" appointments ( Woods, Hinshelwood and temporarily Booker) , in other words...."the cheap option".
Mr. Knight, in my opinion, should step down in place of a more progressive chairman. I have simply had enough of the penny pinching.
Oh........and before you all start shouting "who,s got the money then..?", I,m looking for a chairman who realises that 4000 empty seats at Withdean each home game is costing us about £80,000 each time in lost revenue. That averages out at £40,000 a week. How many good quality players wages could we afford with that....? Not to mention increased merchandise sales etc etc........
At the rate we are going, in a few years times, will we question who caused the demise of this club more.....LDC....Melanie Cuttress....or Dick Knight,s negative and "safe" policy....?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004

what ever newbie.I have my views u have yours that what a forum is for prick:tosser:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At the rate we are going, in a few years times, will we question who caused the demise of this club more.....LDC....Melanie Cuttress....or Dick Knight,s negative and "safe" policy....?

The villains of this piece are LDc and Melanie Cuttress and all the rest of the self-selving little Englander greedheads who wanted to kill this club to maintain their precious property prices and settle a few masonic scores. Dick Knight's 'negative and safe policy' was intended to juggle the costs of keeping the club alive and just about competitive on the pitch against the millions of pounds required to see off the three-ringed circus of multiple Public Inquiries. The cheap option was through necessity, not choice.

The minute Falmer gets the full and final green light and the diggers go in, then have a pop by all means. But not before.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The villains of this piece are LDc and Melanie Cuttress and all the rest of the self-selving little Englander greedheads who wanted to kill this club to maintain their precious property prices and settle a few masonic scores. Dick Knight's 'negative and safe policy' was intended to juggle the costs of keeping the club alive against the millions of pounds required to see off the three-ringed circus of multiple Public Inquiries. The cheap option was through necessity, not choice.

The minute Falmer gets the full and final green light and the diggers go in, then have a pop by all means. But not before.

I do understand what you are saying.....but the "safe policy" adopted, appears to have been around so long now, it,s become a way of life and I don,t think Dick Knight has the ability or the inclination to break away from this mode.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I do understand what you are saying.....but the "safe policy" adopted, appears to have been around so long now, it,s become a way of life

Well the Public Inquiries have been around for longer than any of us care to remember. and the fancy lawyers need paying. Yes, it has become a way of life, and we're all heartily sick of it. But that's down to the NIMBYs. Nobody could have blamed DK for chucking in his hand years ago. But he's seen it through, and for that every current aqnd future Albion fan should be eternally grateful. IMHO like.

And don't forget we won back-to-back Championships and a promotion at the Millenium Stadium along the way, when we had no right to, considering the dire financial strats we were in. Some clubs go through DECADES without achieving any of those things. Some never do.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Forster and Whing have signed this year, .....but how long did it take before they signed on the dotted line...?.....6 months.....?

I know what you are saying, but wasn't Forster voted Man of the Season in Hull? They wouldn't let him go half way through the season if he was an integral part.

Whing was out of contract at the end of the season and we couldn't sign him before the end of his contract.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well the Public Inquiries have been around for longer than any of us care to remember. and the fancy lawyers need paying. Yes, it has become a way of life, and we're all heartily sick of it. But that's down to the NIMBYs. Nobody could have blamed DK for chucking in his hand years ago. But he's seen it through, and for that every current aqnd future Albion fan should be eternally grateful. IMHO like.

And don't forget we won back-to-back Championships and a promotion at the Millenium Stadium along the way, when we had no right to, considering the dire financial strats we were in. Some clubs go through DECADES without achieving any of those things. Some never do.

I am grateful that Dick Knight has finally secured planning permission at Falmer. As for the future fans being grateful, I,m not sure how many of those we,ll have. To have future fans, we,ll need a bit more than just a new stadium. We need a team worthy of it, and I don,t see that happening with Dick,s "safe policy" in place.
The future of this club, does not lie with the 5,000 die hards alone. We need the "fairweather" supporters and the "future" fans to have a financially sustainable club. I do not believe we will achieve that while the penny pinching of Dick Knight is dominating our club.

Stay away vulture, so you can say you weren't there.

I'm on board with the magical BHAFC and not bovvered about a measly away loss at Tranmere.

DK is the MAN, and he's got the right manager right there, as well.

NMH has spoked, and that's basically all you need to know.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Stay away vulture, so you can say you weren't there.

I'm on board with the magical BHAFC and not bovvered about a measly away loss at Tranmere.

DK is the MAN, and he's got the right manager right there, as well.

NMH has spoked, and that's basically all you need to know.

U are a silent voice nmh.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I know what you are saying, but wasn't Forster voted Man of the Season in Hull? They wouldn't let him go half way through the season if he was an integral part.

Whing was out of contract at the end of the season and we couldn't sign him before the end of his contract.

You may well be right...............but I think it was far more to do with not being willing to match the clubs (Coventry and Hull) valuations.

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
what ever newbie.I have my views u have yours that what a forum is for prick:tosser:

I'm perfectly aware what a forum is for - that's why I posted my views.
Is the term "newbie" intended to be an insult or an endearment? Clearly the latter terms are not an endearment but if that's how you enjoy expressing yourself then feel free.

I'm certainly not new to supporting the Albion - and even if I was would that make your views carry any more weight?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You may well be right...............but I think it was far more to do with not being willing to match the clubs (Coventry and Hull) valuations.

We are always going to struggle to meet valuations and I think we are going to have to live with that for the time being. Certainly as far as Whing goes, a valuation was not part of the deal as he was going to be free to join us.

We have to stick to our budget and that is fair enough. We can't afford to be reckless on the finances front, certainly if we want(ed) to attract funding and grants for the stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here