Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight stadium tribute

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Ater reading a lot of this the one that stands out is the idea of a gate (a la the Shankly Gates) in honour of Dick. After all his stewardship was very much the element that allowed the Albion to get to Falmer in the first place so an "entrance" in his honour is appropriate.

Bloom has actually realised the dream for us in terms of deliverables i.e. cold hard cash so rights to the stadium itself are his to dispose of as he see's fit. He would have to be pretty flinty to not awknowlege DK's contribution though.

There are too many folk who's names are linked indelibly with the Albion to realistically name everthing in the stadium after them but Knight was there when we were in our darkest hours and should be honoured as a consequence.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm beginning to like the idea of a 'Knight gate'.

I also agree with the comment that if there is a statue, it should be a tribute to the fans, who sent postcards, went on marches, handed out leaflets, stormed directors boxes and who have campaigned so that we could reach the promised land of Falmer.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
All ending in stand- catchy eh

The werthers original

The half empy flask and bobblehat

The Moaning Goldenstien

The Dicky Bloomer Adams family

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stands shouldn`t be named after chairman IMO. Name a hospitality suite after him but not a stand.

What did Perry say about Knight by the way as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I was hoping that you wouldn't come back with that!

First of all, 13 years is misleading.

Yes, his consortium took over back in '97, but it is not that straight forward, is it?

The club were not in a position to simply design a stadium and cherry pick a plot of land, seeing as we had no assets remaining.

Can they be blamed for all of the subsequent delays? It seems that the only viable option for the stadium needed part of the land residing in Lewes District. How would you have gone about avoiding that? It wasn't a simple case of demanding land from the council.

From the timeline below, I find it very hard to believe that much blame can be levied at Dick Knight and his fellow board members.

So 11 years and counting then. Still far too many!

OK, so in summary Arthur:

You believe that B&HCC gave over land and fully supported the planning application for the stadium (11-10 in favour remember ?) with NO viable business plan in place from the club to finance the thing.
And you also believe that if the owners of the club at that time simply had more money, we could have circumnavigated or ignored UK planning laws and built the stadium years ago.

Try visiting Earth some time, once you've worked out what planet it is you're on eh.

The club didn't have the money to pay for it that is a fact! So in answer to your question yes B&HCC council gave the land over without a viable business plan in place.

I firmly believe that had Bloom or A N Other money man been in charge of the club the stadium would have been finished many moons ago.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth

Lazy? Try probably under-staffed, over-worked, under-paid and under pressure.

I have no huge love for The Argus, but they don't deserve the levels of criticism or abuse they so often get on here.

as an ex card carrying member of the National Union of Journalists, the Argus has become a byword for lazy journalism IMHO.

and here's an example from today rag

Gordon Stalker, 51, was stabbed six times in his chest and side by a knife-wielding killer at his home in Elm Grove, Brighton.

As they've told us he was stabbed then the use of the term "knife wielding" is irrelevant.

and here's another example
the stop is served by the N69 night bus once a night, three nights a week.

The bus stops at 3.10am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with the aim of collecting late night revellers that spill out of the areas many night clubs.

But by daylight hours no one seems to know the bus stop even exists
:US::facepalm:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I firmly believe that had Bloom or A N Other money man been in charge of the club the stadium would have been finished many moons ago.

Considering we didn't get final planning permission until 2008, that would have been some going.

How would a person with the £100m in their pockets from the very start have made things quicker? Paid off the opponents? Paid off the Planning Inspector? Paid the government to work faster?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Ater reading a lot of this the one that stands out is the idea of a gate (a la the Shankly Gates) in honour of Dick. After all his stewardship was very much the element that allowed the Albion to get to Falmer in the first place so an "entrance" in his honour is appropriate.

Bloom has actually realised the dream for us in terms of deliverables i.e. cold hard cash so rights to the stadium itself are his to dispose of as he see's fit. He would have to be pretty flinty to not awknowlege DK's contribution though.

There are too many folk who's names are linked indelibly with the Albion to realistically name everthing in the stadium after them but Knight was there when we were in our darkest hours and should be honoured as a consequence.

Sums it up nicely. Personally, I don't think it would be appropriate to name a stand after Robert Eaton but there should be some way of respecting those who died during the struggle Falmer.

As for Dick Knight, without him there wouldn't be an Albion and so lets have something like the Dick Knight Gates. My understanding is that Liam Brady knew what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti were up to and worked very hard to get the consortium together. He spent a lot of time contacting all wealthy Albion fans, including somebody I know, and Knight was the only one willing to come forward, fight for control of the club, fight for Withdean and then Falmer. Mr Bloom, I assume, had not made his fortune when the Falmer plans were first put together.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Sums it up nicely. Personally, I don't think it would be appropriate to name a stand after Robert Eaton but there should be some way of respecting those who died during the struggle Falmer.

As for Dick Knight, without him there wouldn't be an Albion and so lets have something like the Dick Knight Gates. My understanding is that Liam Brady knew what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti were up to and worked very hard to get the consortium together. He spent a lot of time contacting all wealthy Albion fans, including somebody I know, and Knight was the only one willing to come forward, fight for control of the club, fight for Withdean and then Falmer. Mr Bloom, I assume, had not made his fortune when the Falmer plans were first put together.
Prove we wouldn't have had a club if dick didn't takeover? You can't so stop talking drivel:glare:

Dick brought the club for £1 and had nout to lose and also he racked up huge debts.:facepalm:

Thank god for sir bloom:D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This Arthur sounds so sure of himself. Surely it can't be the same bloke who said that the club would never afford a new ground and that Falmer would never happen.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Prove we wouldn't have had a club if dick didn't takeover? You can't so stop talking drivel:glare:

Dick brought the club for £1 and had nout to lose and also he racked up huge debts.:facepalm:

Thank god for sir bloom:D

You seem to have forgotten that Dick also put in over £1.5 of his own money just to keep the club afloat.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Considering we didn't get final planning permission until 2008, that would have been some going.

How would a person with the £100m in their pockets from the very start have made things quicker? Paid off the opponents? Paid off the Planning Inspector? Paid the government to work faster?

f*** me, the penny has almost dropped!

Everyone and everything is for sale at the right price.

If we'd invested £10 - 20m the ground would have been built within a couple of years and cost < £50m in total instead it's run on and on with us pumping millions down the drain and is going to cost more than twice that amount.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This Arthur sounds so sure of himself. Surely it can't be the same bloke who said that the club would never afford a new ground and that Falmer would never happen.

Hahahaha, despite the fact that I was 100% correct you lot still can't help but have a dig.

No helping some of you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Formed a partnership with Tescos who run this country and always get what they want:lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hahahaha, despite the fact that I was 100% correct you lot still can't help but have a dig.

No helping some of you.

Perhaps you're a bit simple. It looks like a stadium to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here