Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott MP.... Racist?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Judging by many of the posts, happily, white on black racism never actually happened...thanks for the reassurances... :)

When racism affects your employment opportunities rather than your sensibilities...then flap your gums.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
All personal? If I consider what you say is drivel, then ill say it. More sensibilities offended?...aw...faux horror...as the article alluded.

Judging by many of the posts, happily, white on black racism never actually happened...thanks for the reassurances... :)

When racism affects your employment opportunities rather than your sensibilities...then flap your gums.

When you come back to live over here then feel free to comment about issues of the day that affect us. In the meantime...carry on carrying on.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not really...for it to be the other way round like people keep suggesting....Everything would have to be the other way round...It isnt.
But that assumes everybody's saying "if it were the other way round" whereas that is only one tiny part of it; it certainly isn't the central plank of my argument. I don't like anybody, not even The New Statesman, telling me what I'm saying and why I'm saying it!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Who on EARTH has said that, or even implied it?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Brovian, but I clearly said, it was for the people saying, if it was the other way round.... ?...
I think what she said was crass, and racist, but not so much..... The furore over it is bit pathetic as the article suggested, particularly when real racism in this
country has been highlighted this week....

Its been implied on this thread that black people are not pulled over by the law for no apparent reason....which from my experience is not the case for instance.....

At the end of the day, I think she has been naive, and a bit racist...but not much...it hasnt affected anybodies employment opportunity, it hasnt affected anybodies housing opportunities etc etc......its more....well, why can she say that when I cant etc...

Anyway, its time for me to enter the weekend, and spend the Russian xmas with my nearest and dearest etc...have a good weekend....hopefully a good result, and if I have the strength, more of this on monday... :)

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brovian, but I clearly said, it was for the people saying, if it was the other way round.... ?...
I think what she said was crass, and racist, but not so much..... The furore over it is bit pathetic as the article suggested, particularly when real racism in this

Its been implied on this thread that black people are not pulled over by the law for no apparent reason....which from my experience is not the case for instance.....

At the end of the day, I think she has been naive, and a bit racist...but not much...it hasnt affected anybodies employment opportunity, it hasnt affected anybodies housing opportunities etc etc......its more....well, why can she say that when I cant etc...
Nor does anybodies race in the present day, except in their imagination.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nonsense. It does not give people carte blanche to be offensive just because historically they were offended to. In this instance, two wrongs definitely do not make a right. Laws are such now that racism in the workplace is illegal. You cannot excuse black on white racism because there are more white people in power in a country where there are more white people.

Either you accept that racism can work both ways and is equally wrong or you ignore it and play into the hands of the far-right (which you seem to be obsessed about).

Absolutely spot on.

Also, people like Dianne Abbott need to remove the chip from their shoulder regarding slavery and colonialism. We are in a different age now. I have nothing in common with people who lived 200 years ago, you can't just generalise the 21st century inhabitants of this island with the 18th century inhabitants because we all have the same coloured skin. It really is a ludicrous way of thinking. If she can cite some morern examples of racism then fine, lets deal with them constructively without having to harp on about the wrongs of previous centuries.

To offer an analogy, it's a bit like if a bloke cheated on his wife when they were 30 years old, but the reconciled their differences and they now, on the whole, get on quite well and are still together at the age of 50. It's not going to work if she keeps banging on about his previous misdemeanor at every opportunity, and pulling him up on something that happened 20 years ago.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
oooh pot....did I hurt your feelings? Im sorry....

I admit that racism has never been an issue in the UK, and has been completely swept away in the 21st century...

Happy orthodox xmas....im gone...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nor does anybodies race in the present day, except in their imagination.

Steady on Bushy...I think we've moved along an awful lot in the last few decades, but I wouldn't be naive enough to assume that nobody from an ethnic minority has ever been negatively affected in terms of getting jobs or whatever. We all have our prejudices, whether we care to admit them or not, but it's how we choose to display those publicly that determines whether we're being discriminatory. There ARE still people out there who exhibit their prejudices openly, as well as some in more subtle ways, and therefore it must be fair to say that would affect their dealings with people of different backgrounds. That's not being wafty and liberal, surely, it's just reality.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Anyway, its time for me to enter the weekend, and spend the Russian xmas with my nearest and dearest etc...have a good weekend....hopefully a good result, and if I have the strength, more of this on monday... :)
I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially that first sentence. I think you're rambling a bit now.

Anyway, I don't want to fall out over it so probably best to say we've got a slightly different take on it.

Upset? Not a chance. I love exposing you for the powder puff debater that you are. Each time someone brings you up on your wafer thin arguments you either go personal or you start claiming people are saying something completely different from the reality of the situation.

Debating with you is like playing NSC bingo. All we need is for you to mention your Jewish heritage, you've got a younger missus and I think I've ticked all of your 'must mentions'.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely spot on.

To offer an analogy, it's a bit like if a bloke cheated on his wife when they were 30 years old, but the reconciled their differences and they now, on the whole, get on quite well and are still together at the age of 50. It's not going to work if she keeps banging on about his previous misdemeanor at every opportunity, and pulling him up on something that happened 20 years ago.

You think a women can forget being wronged 20 years back....... :lolol: you must be a young un Billy.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
positive discrimination doesnt have a negative effect , which I took as the meaning !!

So employment discrimination only exists towards white people and any employment discrimination towards ethnic minorities is imagined?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here