Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott MP.... Racist?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not my own words, but certainly my sentiment.

New Statesman - What the Diane Abbott metastorm was really about

<<"If it had been the other way around," is the general thrust of these arguments. Well if it had been the other way around, it would have been the other way around. If it had been the other way around, everything would have had to have been the other way around. We would have to be living in a country where black people dominated and white people didn't; where black people had all the jobs but sp......ectacularly untalented black columnists would be writing about how unfair it was, somehow.

As well as all that, you have to suspect that if it had been the other way around, the same faces so outraged and appalled by Abbott's comments would be finding ways to justify what had been said, to claim that it wasn't really all bad.

All this comes in a week when we've been seeing the horribly real consequences of actual racism, with two of the killers of Stephen Lawrence having been brought to justice. This pointless charade about Abbott would be a tacky sideshow at the best of times; in the context of seeing what real racism does, it's even more pathetic.
I think that is possibly the worst justification I've seen yet. Point spectacularly missed.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Watched Newsnight last night, Darcus Howe was on trying to defend Diane Abbott and agreeing with her twitter post, the man is an absolute twat and came across as a complete and utter idiot IMO, whether you believe or not that the Diane Abbott twitter was racist, it certainly was in poor taste and very unhelpful in the current climate, don't think Darcus Howe has done her any favours in trying to defend her.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am firmly of the opinion that the more people overreact to stuff like this the worse racism will get.

Who cares what Diane Abbott thinks anyway? Her own party overwhelmingly rejected her as a leader candidate, and I will never forget her spectacular '0 out of 5' in the general knowledge question section of the TV 5-way Labour leadership debate.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Very well put.

Nearly so good it has shut down the debate ;-)

This thread and debate is not finished until Bushy invites someone to ''meet up with him sometime''.

I predict late monday morning when he is pissed off at work.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I am firmly of the opinion that the more people overreact to stuff like this the worse racism will get.

Who cares what Diane Abbott thinks anyway? Her own party overwhelmingly rejected her as a leader candidate, and I will never forget her spectacular '0 out of 5' in the general knowledge question section of the TV 5-way Labour leadership debate.
and this :cheers: :albion2:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Bushy...no, but ive been stopped and held in the dials area by police with a black mate for carrying our soundsystem deck to a music shop for repair... ;-) .....how are you by the way?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Watched Newsnight last night, Darcus Howe was on trying to defend Diane Abbott and agreeing with her twitter post, the man is an absolute twat and came across as a complete and utter idiot IMO, whether you believe or not that the Diane Abbott twitter was racist, it certainly was in poor taste and very unhelpful in the current climate, don't think Darcus Howe has done her any favours in trying to defend her.

I expected more from Darcus to be honest.

Felt a little uneasy as he seemed a little muddled even for him, the little smile/smirk to the camera crew, after a 'whites' jibe, reminded me of George Best after he confessed that he just liked F*****g, both comments from men that were not of sound mind, I fear.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bushy...no, but ive been stopped and held in the dials area by police with a black mate for carrying our soundsystem deck to a music shop for repair... ;-) .....how are you by the way?

You need to drop your black mates, you never get anywhere !!

Not really...for it to be the other way round like people keep suggesting....Everything would have to be the other way round...It isnt.

Nonsense. It does not give people carte blanche to be offensive just because historically they were offended to. In this instance, two wrongs definitely do not make a right. Laws are such now that racism in the workplace is illegal. You cannot excuse black on white racism because there are more white people in power in a country where there are more white people.

Either you accept that racism can work both ways and is equally wrong or you ignore it and play into the hands of the far-right (which you seem to be obsessed about).

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Walking back one night from the Richmond where we had been playing, we got to Churchill Sq, and mate had a bike....there was a crew of old bill there, and my mate said, oh f***...im going to get hassled by the the police over the bike trust me.........I said dont be silly......I was wrong....to deny the racism that existed in the UK, not so much now I hope, would be a bit naive.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
ah, pot noodles dribbling again...the point of the post was towards the.....if it was the other way round crew....sorry if you didnt understand that.....if it was the other way round, a lot of things would be the other way round.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here