Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diamond has gone !!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Addtional - perhaps I'm missing something here, but this stuff with Barclays - particularly this phone call with Paul Tucker - took place in 'late 2008'.

Ed Balls wasn't in the Treasury in 2008, he was Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families at the time. So if Bob Diamond has some dirt on a government (Labour) politician from that period - would it be him?

Can anyone clear that up?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think you're right but it's going to be uncomfortable for Labour. Their best ploy is to point out that the Tories would have gone even further with deregulation. The only person coming out of this well will be Vince Cable who has consistently over the last two years fought within Government (and before in opposition) against Tory opposition to tackle the banks. Will be interesting to see what line he takes. I think he may be very quiet on the matter.

I agree the last government will not come out smelling of roses but that's what happens when labour tries to adopt tory style policies.

The possible implication of politicians also make it important that any forthcoming enquiry is judge-led not politician led.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I agree the last government will not come out smelling of roses but that's what happens when labour tries to adopt tory style policies.

The possible implication of politicians also make it important that any forthcoming enquiry is judge-led not politician led.

Absolutely agree with the last point and that's why it's important Labour stick to their guns and point out that by making this politician led that Cameron is simply trying to apportion the blame and not allow the problem to be properly independently investigated. It would be nice to see Labour take their share of the blame for it up front, but Balls has never come across as that type to me!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
first time I have heard him speaking and it seems he is a yank who has made in the last 5 years 182 million
of coarse that might have been my defective hearing ......................would someone let me know if that is right

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
barcfixedrates.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here