Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diamond has gone !!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tell me you are joking. Apart from the huge tax revenues the banking sector contributes, wihthut banking, business ceases to grow - they need to borrow. Now admittedly the Banks are not lending as much as they could be despite Goverment intervention, but a few guys falsifying LIBOR doesnt mean the whole sector is to blame.

Business cease to grow because they are crying out for money and they are not getting it; no loans or because the banks computer system has shut down. And it was a more than a "few guys."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read today that only 25per cent of bank lending goes to the productive sector of the economy ( i.e. businesses) and most goes on property loans and lending to other financial institutions. I stand to be corrected on this, but that seems to blow a whole in the myth that banks are helping the economy out of recession.

Quite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tell me you are joking. Apart from the huge tax revenues the banking sector contributes, wihthut banking, business ceases to grow - they need to borrow. Now admittedly the Banks are not lending as much as they could be despite Goverment intervention, but a few guys falsifying LIBOR doesnt mean the whole sector is to blame.

And every man, woman and child in this country has subbed UK banking £20k of public funds.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
What's the alternative to the system in place now? Are people hinking that the major banks should be broken apart and sold off?

Genuinely interested as to what people's thoughts are. It needs to be remembered that 98% of people who work for these Financial Instutions do absolutely nothing wrong and work bloody hard for a living. It's the 2% of schysters that ruin it for everyone else.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That's not an opinion but more of a fact. The banking sector is vital to our economy, and has plenty of incentives for people to do well and good. Just the occasional morons in there that don't like their salary and do a bit more to impress and get that bonus.

Can I ask what do you do in banking? As it's a sector I want to go into after i do my BSc Economics...

No it's an opinion and many would disagree I'm sure. I do agree that the vast majority are hard working and well intended. But there's a large minority that are really in it for themselves and will go to great lengths to personally profit either in financial or career terms and really don't give a stuff on the impact on others - generally their "customers". The culture (from my somewhat limited experience, I worked mostly in cards and consumer lending) is pretty horrid, loads of internal competitiveness and backbiting politics and the FSA have tried to put in all sorts of measures to try and deal with the excesses but I'm not sure how effective they have been.

After years I decided it just wasn't for me so I managed (purely by chance) to get out and work in associated areas supplying into and interacting with if you get my gist. No doubt though that Financial Services has to remain a key pillar in our economy and I think there's plenty of opportunity for you if you want to forge a career in it. Any change though will be gradual given the deep rooted culture and I'm sure there will be more scandal as those remaining look for other "opportunities"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
What's the alternative to the system in place now? Are people hinking that the major banks should be broken apart and sold off?

Genuinely interested as to what people's thoughts are. It needs to be remembered that 98% of people who work for these Financial Instutions do absolutely nothing wrong and work bloody hard for a living. It's the 2% of schysters that ruin it for everyone else.

Barclays and other banks will probably be broken up now to protect their retail divisions. Investment banking will become a stand alone operation again with their business much more tightly regulated (by statute). Deregulation and the freeing up of liquidity to everyone (started by Ronnie & Maggie) led to the global boom - BUT the excesses produced in investment banking and its associated "f*** em all" culture also caused the global recession. Some, or a lot of, people need to be asset stripped or jailed to break the square mile/wall street culture.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm quoting today's press.

would that be a left wing press that counts guarantees as if they've been spent? (from bhafc89's post, yep). the cost to the tax payer so far has been no more than the one time bailout costs of Northern Rock, RBS and Lloyds* (the latter of which occured after the government asked them to buy up HBOS). on the guarantees the treasury has actually turned a profit from the premiums they charged the banks.

* thats 65-82bn depneding on how the Northern Rock is counted, they've paid lot of the loans back. RBS was £45bn, Lloyds £21bn.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the alternative to the system in place now?

Quite simple really: seperate High St 'vanilla' banking from investment, and go after the specific guys that fiddled the LIBOR on fraud charges. There was a banker chap on Question Time last week who said that common fraud legislation is simply worded and will be sufficient to charge anyone found fiddling LIBOR. Prosecuting them will send out a clear message and the evidence will not be difficult to find apparently.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There could be a similar departure in New York as it looks as if the trading black hole of $2 billion on JP Morgan’s books could be nearer 10 to $20B. CEO Jamie Dimon must be watching events in London somewhat nervously.

JP Morgan trading loss

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe all these brilliant traders that we all count on to prop up our economy should give all of their bonuses back to plug these financial holes as they clearly don't f***ing deserve them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Quite simple really: seperate High St 'vanilla' banking from investment, and go after the specific guys that fiddled the LIBOR on fraud charges. There was a banker chap on Question Time last week who said that common fraud legislation is simply worded and will be sufficient to charge anyone found fiddling LIBOR. Prosecuting them will send out a clear message and the evidence will not be difficult to find apparently.
He runs an inter dealer brokerage, totally different animal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here