Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diamond has gone !!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yup, think it was Terry Smith's first time on QT but also missed it.
He normally doesn't shy away from saying it 'how it is' but also can come across as a smug know-it-all.

I've not worked for Tullets, but most of the similar companies I have worked for have someone at the top that could match that desription.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree Diamond should have gone, but Tucker is just as culpable. Please do not tell me the BoE didn't know about this...........

Flippin' 'eck, Tucker...

annual84inside.jpg

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I hope people go to jail, maybe Diamond included for corporate negligence or worse. He's a shyster and not alone in that industry. Crooks and Spivs.

100% This. He should be jailed along with the other shysters.:angry:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Expect BD to take down plenty of people with him tomorrow. Labour are going to look VERY silly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Expect BD to take down plenty of people with him tomorrow. Labour are going to look VERY silly.

This is about a conversation between Paul Tucker and Bob Diamond.

The Bank of England is 'independent' (though I use that phrase fairly loosely) from the government - so which one of them is in the Labour Party or the (then) government?

They've got to name the relevant minister(s) in question - do they have that smoking gun?

Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This is about a conversation between Paul Tucker and Bob Diamond.

The Bank of England is 'independent' (though I use that phrase fairly loosely) from the government - so which one of them is in the Labour Party or the (then) government?

They've got to name the relevant minister(s) in question - do they have that smoking gun?

I would imagine that Bob Diamond has more smoking guns than most. Ed Balls has cancelled all public engagements today apparently. Could be interesting.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would imagine that Bob Diamond has more smoking guns than most. Ed Balls has cancelled all public engagements today apparently. Could be interesting.

Does he have a smoking gun? So far, all we've had from him is retrospective (and uncorroborated) notes from four years ago to suggest certain incinuendos (© Don Logan) - with no hard and fast evidence (the smoking gun) in the public domain. Any claim can be denied without that evidence. Don't forget, Bob Diamond has an awful lot of explaining to do - a huge fraud took place on his watch.

Of course, he could just be saving everything he's got in his closet for this hearing...

It's logical for him (EB) to cancel engagements. I would suspect most ministers and MPs are going to listen to Bob Diamond. It's vital that everyone in the Treasury, (civil servants, ministers and shadow ministers) pay full attention to work is going to be said.

Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Does he have a smoking gun? So far, all we've had from him is retrospective (and uncorroborated) notes from four years ago to suggest certain incinuendos (© Don Logan) - with no hard and fast evidence (the smoking gun) in the public domain. Any claim can be denied without that evidence. Don't forget, Bob Diamond has an awful lot of explaining to do - a huge fraud took place on his watch.

It's logical for him (EB) to cancel engagements. I would suspect most ministers and MPs are going to listen to Bob Diamond. It's vital that everyone in the Treasury, (civil servants, ministers and shadow ministers) pay full attention to work is going to be said.

I agree with all of that.

However, I think you have to be naive in extremis if you think that the seated government at the time of the scandal have had NOTHING to do with it.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
True, but there's 'nothing' and then there's a 'deniable nothing'.

I think you're right but it's going to be uncomfortable for Labour. Their best ploy is to point out that the Tories would have gone even further with deregulation. The only person coming out of this well will be Vince Cable who has consistently over the last two years fought within Government (and before in opposition) against Tory opposition to tackle the banks. Will be interesting to see what line he takes. I think he may be very quiet on the matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here