Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Di Canio

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Here's a fuller transcript of what he said...

When asked why he withdrew Foderingham so early, the Town boss said: 'Because he was one of the worst players I have ever seen in a football match. He is a player like the others.

'Why can’t we change the goalkeeper? Is the goalkeeper is an element who plays on with another team because he has a different colour on his shirt? I know my players, I know Wes – he was the crappy player even against Stoke.
'Today what he did, it’s not only the mistake that can happen to everyone. The arrogance later, when he started moaning to the others, that was the worst thing for me because it let me realise that a player doesn’t recognise his mistakes that was clear miles away, that was a rubbish mistake.
'I said to him "now calm because we have to keep going", we give the ball straight away to them and then start again moaning to the others.
'Today he started behaving as the worst professional; arrogant, ignorant in some way – not as a person, as an athlete – I have ever seen.
'If he doesn’t come out and say sorry to the fans, for the professionalism in general, he is out from my team. I don’t want any argument from the fans ‘we play Oxford, we have a season’ - no.
'I don’t mind because this is my rules and [Leigh] Bedwell did very, very well. Maybe he behaved like this because the window’s closed. Another question mark.

'I’m ready to bring in a goalkeeper. I’m ready to ask my chairman if he doesn’t go out and say sorry to everybody because this has to come from the stomach and from the heart.
'If he doesn’t think he made a mistake in the way he behaved he has to think who he is? Cech?
'He was nothing until the day he joined me, not the club but me. He didn’t have one second as a professional, nobody wanted him because he’s 181cm. In English football everybody want 199 like the f***ing Preston goalkeeper.
'He should have his career cut and you know that is true, but just because we believed in him and there is no importance in that because he is very good – thanks to him because he did well last year – he forgot everything. He is arrogant, he’s still 20. He thinks he’s untouchable.'

Wow. Just wow.
That is utterly SHAMEFUL abuse of one of his players. As for the last line "He is arrogant, he's still 20. He thinks he's untouchable"- talk about a lack of self-awareness. Pots and kettles spring to mind.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Wow. Just wow.
That is utterly SHAMEFUL abuse of one of his players. As for the last line "He is arrogant, he's still 20. He thinks he's untouchable"- talk about a lack of self-awareness. Pots and kettles spring to mind.

That said, none of us have any clue what this player has been like in training and in general before this match. I'd be very surprised if this one has some back story...

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Here's a fuller transcript of what he said...

When asked why he withdrew Foderingham so early, the Town boss said: 'Because he was one of the worst players I have ever seen in a football match. He is a player like the others.

'Why can’t we change the goalkeeper? Is the goalkeeper is an element who plays on with another team because he has a different colour on his shirt? I know my players, I know Wes – he was the crappy player even against Stoke.
'Today what he did, it’s not only the mistake that can happen to everyone. The arrogance later, when he started moaning to the others, that was the worst thing for me because it let me realise that a player doesn’t recognise his mistakes that was clear miles away, that was a rubbish mistake.
'I said to him "now calm because we have to keep going", we give the ball straight away to them and then start again moaning to the others.
'Today he started behaving as the worst professional; arrogant, ignorant in some way – not as a person, as an athlete – I have ever seen.
'If he doesn’t come out and say sorry to the fans, for the professionalism in general, he is out from my team. I don’t want any argument from the fans ‘we play Oxford, we have a season’ - no.
'I don’t mind because this is my rules and [Leigh] Bedwell did very, very well. Maybe he behaved like this because the window’s closed. Another question mark.

'I’m ready to bring in a goalkeeper. I’m ready to ask my chairman if he doesn’t go out and say sorry to everybody because this has to come from the stomach and from the heart.
'If he doesn’t think he made a mistake in the way he behaved he has to think who he is? Cech?
'He was nothing until the day he joined me, not the club but me. He didn’t have one second as a professional, nobody wanted him because he’s 181cm. In English football everybody want 199 like the f***ing Preston goalkeeper.
'He should have his career cut and you know that is true, but just because we believed in him and there is no importance in that because he is very good – thanks to him because he did well last year – he forgot everything. He is arrogant, he’s still 20. He thinks he’s untouchable.'

Wow. Just wow.

...it sounds like you were speaking from a position of experience, when in fact you were just making an assumption - how do you know the background to this situation ? You have no idea what has gone on in the Swindon dressing room previously, however you find it ok to question somebody else regarding Poyet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm guessing that PDC saw this as a major problem:

The arrogance later, when he started moaning to the others, that was the worst thing for me because it let me realise that a player doesn’t recognise his mistakes that was clear miles away, that was a rubbish mistake.

It sounds to me like he's simply gone about taking a billy big bollocks down a peg or two rather than slaughtering him for his performance alone. However, I'm not a fan of managers who air their dirty linen in public so I hope he never ends up here.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

The arrogance later, when he started moaning to the others, that was the worst thing for me because it let me realise that a player doesn’t recognise his mistakes that was clear miles away, that was a rubbish mistake.

It sounds to me like he's simply gone about taking a billy big bollocks down a peg or two rather than slaughtering him for his performance alone. However, I'm not a fan of managers who air their dirty linen in public so I hope he never ends up here.

Is correct

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yup. Totally unprofessional. Give him a bollocking by all means, but do it behind closed doors.

Whatever people behind closed doors is no problem of mine, providing they're both consenting adults.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On another note, in the passion stakes Di Canio makes Gus look like SVEN.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That said, none of us have any clue what this player has been like in training and in general before this match. I'd be very surprised if this one has some back story...

I'm sure there is background to this, but its something that should be sorted out on the training field or behind closed doors, NOT in the public domain. Even if one of our players was behaving like a prick all week, I would be absolutely HORRIFIED if Gus publically humiliated him like this. If he's not playing up to scratch then PDC was well within his rights to sub him. But then to give him such a slagging in the press conference was amatuerish and vindictive.

...it sounds like you were speaking from a position of experience, when in fact you were just making an assumption - how do you know the background to this situation ? You have no idea what has gone on previously, however you find it ok to question somebody else regarding Poyet.

Whatever went on previously clearly wasn't bad enough for him to be excluded from the squad for the Preston game though was it. I can't see how you can possibly justify PDC's outburst - would you just accept it from Gus if he dug one of our own young players out in this manner because we "don't know the background" ?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
This is EXACTLY why it's fine to give your own players some stick in the right situation. If it FORCES players as crap as gonzales out of the club then surely it is for the greater good. Obviously this is abused sometimes and extended to players who don't deserve it - Murray at Brentford is a good example - but used in the right way it certainly has a place.

I'm fed up with these average footballers on extortionate wages being shown the CARROT treatment all the time, I want to see more STICKS. If Barnsley fans do the same sooner rather than later they might earn their team a few points.

The bloke was having a 'MARE, but how the f*** is giving him massed verbals & laughing at him gonna do him or our team any favours?

Maybe you think Poyet & Co watch an entirely different game to the rest of us; &/or aren't sensible enough to realise who's gonna be able to do a job & who isn't? It might make the likes of yourself feel better at the time, but to think that gobbing-off "is for the greater good" is bordering on delusional imo.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Has anyone actually seen the two goals he conceded? The first one was a keeper error as the clearance was charged down but the second was crap defending. The lad has played 48 games for Swindon and kept something like 27 clean sheets and holds the record for consecutive clean sheets at home. How the that can make him the "worst" player he has seen in a football match is beyond me.

He's a odious little man, I'd hate him to be at Brighton. But there's no chance of that as it won't be long before he throws all his toys out the pram and sulks off to Italy.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
He's having another rant on SSN right now...

Just watched it myself it's Hard to understand a lot of what he his saying I think he's losing the plot a bit though , think he was telling Swindon fans to go & watch Oxford if there not happy with him ( brilliant to watch as an outsider but would be embarrassed if I were a Swindon fan )

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
He should fxxk off back to Lazio and blow his brain out like his hero Hitler did!!

No way should any manager of any walk of life talk about a employee like that in public.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just watched it myself it's Hard to understand a lot of what he his saying I think he's losing the plot a bit though , think he was telling Swindon fans to go & watch Oxford if there not happy with him ( brilliant to watch as an outsider but would be embarrassed if I were a Swindon fan )

That is exactly what he was saying. Basically telling Swindon fans that they are lucky to be where they are, and they should be grateful to have him, and not dare criticise his decisions.

"Its league one, not the champions league. League ONE. League ONE. Who do they think they are. they are in league ONE."

perry digweed

Oct 21, 2003
Brighton
Hard to understand a lot of what he his saying I think he's losing the plot a bit though )

Totally agree, I'm waiting for them to write a transcript of what he said as it was difficult to understand... but most of it sounded pretty ridiculous. He's losing it... what great entertainment!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And is a Facist.

I was going to comment this. read it in the paper this morning..... apparently he (genuinely) thinks that Mussolini was misunderstood.

And isn't that sort of behaviour going to make players think twice before they sign for him. Swindon haven't got the pulling power to mitigate that.

Give me Gus anyday.!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here