Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Went to the Lewes book signing last night. Dick seems genuinely hurt about the recent comments. I do think it's very disrespectful to come out and say all of this when he's a living legend at our club.

That's a shame. He is indeed a legend.

Maybe it's best to put aside my disapproval of the sale, which is not about whether he should sell, but about how the sale was announced without board consultation first, nor any indication that the club are happy about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely it's just compiling a database which will be fairly simple. As long as they get everyone's email address, the communication will cost them next to nothing.

If that's all that's involved in share registration, I do wonder why many companies pay my employer large sums of money to perform the task on their behalf.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's a shame. He is indeed a legend.

Maybe it's best to put aside my disapproval of the sale, which is not about whether he should sell, but about how the sale was announced without board consultation first, nor any indication that the club are happy about it.

There isn't a sale as such yet, but asking fans to show an expression of interest.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If that's all that's involved in share registration, I do wonder why many companies pay my employer large sums of money to perform the task on their behalf.

I thought companies paid your employer for photos of you watching MOTD naked in bed?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Went to the Lewes book signing last night. Dick seems genuinely hurt about the recent comments. I do think it's very disrespectful to come out and say all of this when he's a living legend at our club.

Fine. But I wonder how MP feels about the 'Brutus et tu' comment after all the support he gave DK over the years? Perhaps all those in the DK love-in camp can get off this high horse that you cannot both be a living legend and fallible at the same time!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Not sure that Derek had a swipe at Dick Knight, merely a response to events. Derek is not that sort of character and not one to push himself to the front in such situations. What I am sure of is that Derek was a s much a saviour as Dick Knight in that what he did in the late 90s and after the Taylor report, for which he sought no glory or adulation. I heard horror stories of how the club was run and how on many occassions it came close to folding. With the massive input from Tony Bloom there was always going to be change and maybe this has not agreed with Dick. If he is genuinely owed money for his shares then he should be at liberty to dispose of them as he sees fit and if he is legally owed money by Tony Bloom he should be recompensed equally. With absolutely no knowledge on these events I suspect that these issues would have been tied up in legal agreements and the course of action being taken by Dick Knight is more about the loss of power and control. As for him wanting the club to be in the hands of many, I recall him in the directors room after many games at Withdean and it was a one man show there. No swipe from Derek, the club and supporters are actually indebted to him although he choses not shout about it, clearly he sees the changes and the direction in which our club is going a true Brighton Boy.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Fine. But I wonder how MP feels about the 'Brutus et tu' comment after all the support he gave DK over the years? Perhaps all those in the DK love-in camp can get off this high horse that you cannot both be a living legend and fallible at the same time!

I'm sure Martin Perry is more than fine with it. He's had nigh on 5 years to get used to how their relationship now is.

At the end of the day, he did what he thought was right and for the long term future of the club and he's been proved right. He would have weighed up if how he did that was likely to rankle with knight and then made his decision.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not sure that Derek had a swipe at Dick Knight, merely a response to events. Derek is not that sort of character and not one to push himself to the front in such situations. What I am sure of is that Derek was a s much a saviour as Dick Knight in that what he did in the late 90s and after the Taylor report, for which he sought no glory or adulation. I heard horror stories of how the club was run and how on many occassions it came close to folding. With the massive input from Tony Bloom there was always going to be change and maybe this has not agreed with Dick. If he is genuinely owed money for his shares then he should be at liberty to dispose of them as he sees fit and if he is legally owed money by Tony Bloom he should be recompensed equally. With absolutely no knowledge on these events I suspect that these issues would have been tied up in legal agreements and the course of action being taken by Dick Knight is more about the loss of power and control. As for him wanting the club to be in the hands of many, I recall him in the directors room after many games at Withdean and it was a one man show there. No swipe from Derek, the club and supporters are actually indebted to him although he choses not shout about it, clearly he sees the changes and the direction in which our club is going a true Brighton Boy.

You don't think that might be pushing it slightly?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No he didn't. If there is any implication then it could be that an atmosphere existed in which a lot of peolple did some silly things and one may have committed (and in the club's view did commit) gross misconduct

As I say, LB, IMHO, misdirected. And caught a few on here, which kind of makes my point. You are, of course, entitled to take a different POV, and have.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That I am apparently some brainwashed sheep that a) is defending (blindly) dick knight
b) wants him to return to power
c) am somehow anti (blindly) the current board

a) You certainly seem to be defending DK. So have I in acknowledging his legend status as the leader in the battle to save the club, but I also pointed out that his latter day actions leave a sour taste in my mouth (and I'm not alone).
b) This seems to be in your head only. Show me the post where I accuse you of that. I will apologise if you do.
c) You seem a lot more balanced now.

Still, not seeing the snide dig!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If that is true, that's not great. Potentially only owning the shares while Tony owns his. Would they be bought for the pound paid, or could it be for example at 10p per share ?

I think you'll find that the Takeovers Directive stipulates that in such cases a cash offer must be made to other share holders for their holding - there is no obligation however on the other shareholders to accept the offer.

Why is it that the shares that DK owns are considered by some to have no value yet TB bought 40 million of them recently at a pound each - do those saying they have no value have no faith in TB - no belief that he will eventually make the "club" a profitable organisation.

Shares are normally purchased for one of two financial reasons, capital growth or dividend payment, (or a combination of the two). There is very little chance of a dividend in the mid term but I am confident that under TB's management there will eventually be an improvement in the financial prospects of the club resulting in capital growth. Add that potential to the more esoteric desire to "own" a tiny part of the club we support and the shares do have real value.

Many say that TB is a club legend, I'm not sure I can go along with that at the moment - I believe he may well become one but legend status comes with time and work, not just by ploughing money into a club - if that weren't so then any Sheik or Russian oligarch could become instant legends simply by puting money into a failing organisation.

Feb 14, 2010
If that is true, that's not great. Potentially only owning the shares while Tony owns his. Would they be bought for the pound paid, or could it be for example at 10p per share ?

The City Code sets out that if someone owns 90% of a company they can force the other minority shareholders to sell, but will be at market value. How that would work with potentially thousands of minority shareholders for a business such as a football club, I really dont know. I went all the time during the Archer struggles and understand the natural desire for fans to own shares. But I think this is just a token gesture and as it has no substance. As such, I think it could cause more harm than good. If / when Bloom ever wants to sell then that is the time for a debate for how and who owns what shareholding in the institution that is the Albion.

Feb 14, 2010
I think you'll find that the Takeovers Directive stipulates that in such cases a cash offer must be made to other share holders for their holding - there is no obligation however on the other shareholders to accept the offer.

No mate, that offer must be made to the board at a shareholding of over 30% and at 50% all shareholders must be asked if they accept a takeover bd. At 90% the minority shareholders can be forced to sell.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Why is it that the shares that DK owns are considered by some to have no value yet TB bought 40 million of them recently at a pound each - do those saying they have no value have no faith in TB - no belief that he will eventually make the "club" a profitable organisation.

Shares are normally purchased for one of two financial reasons, capital growth or dividend payment, (or a combination of the two). There is very little chance of a dividend in the mid term but I am confident that under TB's management there will eventually be an improvement in the financial prospects of the club resulting in capital growth. Add that potential to the more esoteric desire to "own" a tiny part of the club we support and the shares do have real value.

Many say that TB is a club legend, I'm not sure I can go along with that at the moment - I believe he may well become one but legend status comes with time and work, not just by ploughing money into a club - if that weren't so then any Sheik or Russian oligarch could become instant legends simply by puting money into a failing organisation.

Wow! After all Tony has done, he is still not a legend in your eyes. Oh dear!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

The competition for the dumbest thing written on this thread is pretty intense, but flipping heck we may have a winner here. Words fail me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here